aaa NE1 had this with a HD? - Real? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             15-Dec-03  @  09:42 PM   -   NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

yeah, I swapped some drives around and lost a partition due to MBR missing from old C: drive... got the whole drive back with a reformat... but

i get a message I've never had before on BOOT, from the BIOS saying that the SMART thingy says the drive will fail soon (possibly)

is that real or ignorable? - i'm re-low-level formatting it again now to check... but is that error message worth listening to?.. never had it before.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             15-Dec-03  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

Tom

k,

I wouldn't trust that drive with any sensitive data. I think most hard drives have some free sectors reserved in case some sectors become bad. The drive makes this seemless (i.e. no bad sectors will show up cause the drive will put the data from a bad area of the drive to the reserved one) What i think SMART does, it keeps track of that activity. When the drive gets low on reserved sectors, It starts warning you.

While you may get rid of that warning if you low level format it, it may not solve the real problem which is a problematic drive.

- Tom

Message 3/9             15-Dec-03  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

milan

Link?: Link

did you have an ibm deskstar k? i thought that was exactly what they did. i know a friend of mine had something very simmilar happen to him.

Message 4/9             16-Dec-03  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

k

nah not deathstar, maxtor... yeah the smart monitors lots of stuff, inc' mechanicals, like start time etc... damn.... f*ck!... I spent like 6 hours testing it with Maxtor applications... failed... boo!

Message 5/9             16-Dec-03  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

Yonce N Mild

Well that one is new to me k, but as a general rule any time I get ANY disk errors I assume the drive is on it's way out. Ghost it and replace it.

Message 6/9             16-Dec-03  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

Tom

That sucks k, but shit happens.

My friend had his brand new hard drive completely die once after a 2 weeks without any notice!

Tom

Message 7/9             16-Dec-03  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

craig

Link?: Link

I've got a drive that's been saying that for like a year now.

-Craig

PS - if it's important I'd replace the drive.

Message 8/9             16-Dec-03  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

k

Link?:  Link

well, today its not saying that & passing all tests... might have been heat measurement - the drive had been going for like 8 hours non-stop activity, and I didnt have it in a sledge, it was lying flat on top of the cd drive case, so I put it up with some air circulation and it seems fine now.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/9             16-Dec-03  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: NE1 had this with a HD? - Real?

0dB

Had it happen to me with a drive on my current PC, I was worried to use it with my audio data so bought a new drive and shoved the 'possibly' faulty drive in my old P500 machine for more filth and MP3 storage.

It's worked fine in that PC ever since, as has the new hard drive in my newer PC so it probably wasn't the IDE controller either.

Still better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)