aaa What the hell is going on? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What the hell is going on?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             02-Nov-00  @  09:04 PM   -   What the hell is going on?

diabolicon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, here's my story...I see the Nova not only get FM's coveted Platinum award, but also their Synth of the Year Award for '99...Hmm, I think I might want one...Next I go to Synthzone.com where good reviews of the Nova outnumber the bad ones by about 5:1...Ok, that's it. I want one. I'm going to get one!....AND THEN I come to this website and read all of these complaints about bugs and OS's....This has been like a knife into my buying confidence! Are the bugs that frequent? Are they that bad? Is the power supply really that shoddy? Does the absence of anything under the SPECIAL buttons on OSC and Filter really take away from it?
PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK as I am confused about parting with my money for this thing!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             02-Nov-00  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

shpongledboy

I have had Nova about six months and have noticed only one bug, 16th dotted delay doesn't work. But I couldn't care less.

Like I said in some other thread 'special buttons' are for 'special people'. If you can't make a sound with nova then you can't make it with any other synth.

Shpongled

Message 3/10             02-Nov-00  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

scrotalsack

its not that they are bad synths, they sound great and they are very stable. the reason we bitch so much here is that we've been told we were supposed to get a new os with new features but it still hasnt been delivered. Its a great synth and it doesnt have hardly any bugs, the company just keeps slipping on their delivery dates.

Message 4/10             02-Nov-00  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

Goober Clobber

Geeks, make music with now, NOT stir up VERY OLD shite.....

....ever think the OS might come once you stop complaining like A BITCH...damn that shite...you act as if the synth DIDN'T work at all.... BEAT IT, I don't want to see you lot again!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5/10             02-Nov-00  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

alphazone

Link?:  Link

Don't worry - this thing is far from buggy. We just have nothing else to bitch about. The only reason we bitch is becuase we were told as far back as one year ago that the new OS was coming. Instead of doing what Access does and say "yes, we plan a new OS - but we can give any ETA as to when it'll be ready", Novation says, new OS soon, after Frankfurt, soon after Frankfurt, soon, soon...10 months go by.. etc.. 

This is one hell of a unit. I've NEVER come accross a synth so easy to use - so inspring - so productive.

Brian C

Message 6/10             03-Nov-00  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

Blunted

yes, the user interface has got to be the best...the sound, silky smooth, deep and thick.......buy one and don't look back  

Message 7/10             03-Nov-00  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

andytronic

Link?: Link

I agree with you all.

Some people just love to bitch, and you see a lot of that here.

The Supernova/Nova work great, sound great, and are stable.

The synths do just what Novation said they will, and will do more in the future.

Message 8/10             03-Nov-00  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

teemu

The problem with most reviews is that they usually tell just the good points. To get the whole picture you should also read websites where unsatisfied buyers bitch about the bad points too.

Just remember that people are almost always unsatisfied with what they've bought. They expect that by just buying something will make them sound pro. There is no such thing as a perfect piece of gear, they all have some faults. Just think what you want to accomplish with the gear and if the limitations will stop you from doing it. So don't buy a Minimoog if you want to play chords and don't buy a piano if you want to sound like Aphex Twin.

Message 9/10             05-Nov-00  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

realtrance

Link?:  Link

Before I bought my SN (awhile ago), I went through the entire egroups Supernova forum (lotsa messages). Even so, that was a tiny subset of the entire SN-buying population.

In that tiny subset, there were only a couple of messages out of thousands indicating any kind of hardware problem.

In response to those couple of messages, Phil MacDonald at Novation replied within almost a day of every one, with as much help as he could give via internet messaging.

In those cases where there was a hardware problem (2, I think), the units were returned for repair and got back to their owners in rapid turnaround. I read nothing about anything being hung up in a shop for 2 months, or being poorly or semi-repaired.

In no case did a repair issue that showed up in the egroups forum surface a second time.

I would say that Novation's synths are as solid as, if not more solid than, most synths out there, by the above evidence.

When you have a problem and don't get instant response, you can nevertheless instantly get on the web and rail about it endlessly, that's particularly soothing on a Sunday when all the shops and businesses are closed.  

Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Novation also doesn't have control over the quality of the power(US)/mains(UK) or surge protection its units are being plugged into. There's no way of knowing whether or not the 2 units in the small sample described above were being used in an electrically stable or a wild electrically surge/spike/noise environment. Although most modern electronics will survive even the latter reasonably well, one good zap will get through all sorts of protection and carve slices out of any silicon pie you can imagine, if you're not properly surge-protected.

rt

Message 10/10             05-Nov-00  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: What the hell is going on?

Free'n'Easy...that's my style.

What the hell is going on? Well...

People love to bitch. Period.

It doesn't matter how good something is, you'll always find someone that can contrive a fault with it. And that goes double online; there is no one-on-one interaction on the web, therefore no immediate repercussions to their spurious bitching, as there would be in real life. When you have few people in your life who want to hear what you have to say, complaining about things online is the only outlet.

I am not cynical.

Freeneasy.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)