aaa Really ... What do i gain... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Really ... What do i gain...

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             06-Nov-00  @  05:55 PM   -   Really ... What do i gain...

omma

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Let's c if a can get some info here..

Well I thinking of buying me a SuperNova II, but there are some who says that go for just the Nova instead.

What do I gain if I buy the SN II. Is there a big diffrence, if so what? I really like the SN II but never played the Nova.

Any good info would very nice..

Thx ...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             07-Nov-00  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

k

people say it sounds better again, you'd have to try them i guess...

Message 3/10             07-Nov-00  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

GT

a nice OS, up to date too!  

Message 4/10             07-Nov-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

fink angel

is money an issue??

Message 5/10             07-Nov-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

omma

No .. not really .. but i think that the cost has to be motivated.

Message 6/10             07-Nov-00  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

lightyear

Are you talking the sn2 vs. the original nova? heres my take. When I first got my nova, I jammed on it for the 1st day and thought "DAMN, I wish I had the extra poly of the super". But then I got used to the #12 and I also realized just how cool the 2 inputs are. Now the SN2 will give you the works, and if your looking for ONE unit to generate all your music on (minus drums) get it. But I would recommend getting a Nova at 1/2 the price, and another equal priced synth with a DIFFERENT type of synthesis. Maybe a microwavext, or a nord modular rack or micro, or you could get a lot of 2nd hand stuff for $1000 or a good sampler if need be. Just my take.

Message 7/10             08-Nov-00  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

omma

thanks for that Lightyear...

I could tell you what i got at the moment... I use a Korg Triton as a central unit.. (need the Pianos and other stuff) Also an AKAI S2000.. all hooked up to Cubase VST 5.0. Since i really hate all Flutes and other never used stuff on the Triton I was totally blow away by the SN. The warm sound and the feeling of getting my a** licked avery time i hit a key was really something.

So if i get you right do you think i be alright with just a nova if i aint need to get the whole production from one unit? I even usually once i set the song rendering it all to Wave anyway...

Let me know if i get that right..

THx a million

Message 8/10             08-Nov-00  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

GT

If you're gonna sample/wave it then yes, save the do$h and buy a Nova.

Put the extra do$h in something else like a few kegs of St. Pauley Girl.

GT

Message 9/10             08-Nov-00  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

lightyear

yeah at least get 1 keg 1st off ;)

Actually Omma, I'm running almost the same setup as you are and find it to be a really good balance without a rediculous amount of gear. I have an older Korg X3 for my rompler sounds, an esi2000 for drums and the occasional loop, and the nova for...well the standout sounds.

Another cool thing is since we got samplers (you got 2 actually), and limited nova poly, you can sample the less dynamic/reverbed sounds and not tie up the nova.

The trend with hardware is that it's getting smaller. A specific piece for a specific part. Just look at the virus rack or micro q, theres even a mini nova in the works (go to harmonycentral.com and check out the music festival coverage).

Good luck.

Message 10/10             09-Nov-00  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Really ... What do i gain...

psylichon

In my opinion, the limited polyphony of the Nova is not an issue if you're using your it with a digital audio workstation (like Cubase or Cakewalk) because as soon as you run out of voices, you can just start recording tracks out as audio... I do this anyway for further dynamics/effects processing. And you can always keep your original MIDI data archived on a muted track so you can go back and change it later. It's the best of both worlds.

As far as the new features/more knobs go, you can do a lot of workarounds in a sequencer. For example, I've used the LFO's for frequency modulation on some leads. Now, the LFO in the Nova won't track the keyboard for pitched FM effects, but since the LFO speed knob (and everything else for that matter) transmits MIDI data, you can experiment to find what MIDI control value corresponds to which pitches in the 12-tone scale. That way, you can edit your lead track after recording it, plugging in those values at the right time in your graphic or event editor. Viola... FM on the Nova.

There's tons of other possibilities, as well. With a digital audio sequencer and an open mind, I would imagine that the addition of a Nova would be all you need.

Of course, I haven't gotten my hands on the new II's yet, so I may be blowin' farts here. All I'll say is the power of the Nova is subtle yet amazing once you get the hang of it. Good luck...

psylichon

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)