aaa Jungle bass - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Jungle bass

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             28-Jul-00  @  11:40 AM   -   Jungle bass

m002b

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been trying to make the cyclical oscillating bass that they use alot in jungle. You hear it everywhere from old school and dj zinc type stuff (where it has little distortion) to ed rush and optical tracks (where it's heavily distorted). I know that the way to do it is to use the LFO to modulate the cutoff, however when I use any of the Nova LFO waves (the saws the closest) it always sounds either to flat (to where you really can't hear the oscillation) or two clicky if I have the speed or cutoff mod any higher. Does anyone know a way arround this problem (or a way I can soften the square wave into a sine)?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             28-Jul-00  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Jungle bass

k

Link?: Link

cant remember how i did this now

Message 3/11             31-Jul-00  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Jungle bass

phunkytek

select the osc to adjust, and push the soften button on the modulation matrix. Use the knobs to adjust. I know the sound you want. The best way to get it is to use a square wave, rez=2, freq=5 or 6, externally run it as an insert through distortion , and compress it and eq out the highs, and atenuate around 250 hrz. The lfo needs to modulate the 0sc, not the filter. Set the mod wheel up to adjust the amount.

Message 4/11             01-Aug-00  @  08:01 AM   -   RE: Jungle bass

k

thats not how i did it tho, i think the lfo was set to filter and the controler set to lfo perhaps, or velocity set to lfo to filter sorta setup

Message 5/11             02-Aug-00  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Jungle bass

phunkytek

I can't get the Nova to clip and distort without the self oscilation chirping. I't works on my bass station, and 101 and comes out all muffled. If it is that muffled distortion sound with the phase shifting at the eigth note. Useing a ducking flange can give some pleasing effects as well. Hey Kilo, did you have a listen to my RA files?

Message 6/11             02-Aug-00  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Jungle bass

phunkytek

Sorry about the link, I can't type. Brett

Message 7/11             03-Aug-00  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Jungle bass

m002b

Thanx, I really appreciate the pointers you guys gave me. There's one thing that I still want to ask though, I have a Yamaha RM1X and the Nova (of which I'm using the RM1x as the drum machine and for a lot of the sick bass). I wanted to know what kind of effects box I'd want so I could have better effects and controls (since the yamaha's is limited and the Novas are to etched and metallic). I've heard that the Lexicon rack is good, but I also here a lot about how I will need lots of compression on the bass. Any suggestions?

.by the way, I checked out the real audio- definitely some dope stuff-

Message 8/11             03-Aug-00  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: Jungle bass

phunkytek

the effects on the nova can be changed and ajusted. The reverbs are good, but they tend to sound matallic when the levels are too high as with most reverbs. A tube compressor can bring life into all of your sounds. If you record through it it will give you a hotter signal and smooth out the peaks. If you can get your hands on an ensonic dp4 you be in effects heavan. I've also played with the electrix racks, and they are great for live tweeking and are midi controlable plus sound really cool. They range from $3-$400. filters vocoding and reverb and delay. The advantage to these units is they have knobs for all the parameters and they all transmit midi. This is probably not an issue for you because the rn1x has assignable knobs right? But it is great to be able to record all your reverb tweeking in real time or delay changes. That kind of control gives your music a hands on feel.

Message 9/11             03-Aug-00  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: Jungle bass

k

yeah man, i like that space one, but i think the drums come all at once, i'm not keen on the structure but the content is great - didnt i post that in a nother thread?...

Message 10/11             06-Aug-00  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Jungle bass

phunkytek

your absolutly right about the structure, infact that is what some off my producer/mentor friends have said . I'll have the new mixes done soon, and I have new drum kits I've put together in the emu to use on the new mixes. The space break is the most recent track and was a ground breaker in sound production for me. I figured out how to make a lot of new sounds when doing that, as apposed to the other tracks where I spent less time on sound production.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)