aaa virus dual filter question - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: virus dual filter question

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             11-Sep-00  @  05:48 PM   -   virus dual filter question

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I see the virus has two filters per part, and I was wondering if this is the way so many mono trance leads have that dualality to the sound, like it seperates at times. If this is not clear i can elaborate. I have been trying to get this fct by loading the same patch into two parts on my nova and then setting one to bandpass and one to lp and putting them on the same channel, but the result is not the same as the music I hear. What I hear in a lot of tracks is these bright mono leads tend to separate into to sounds as the filter is tweeked and then back into one very subtly. Is it just really good layering or a synth with two resonant filters on one part? If so does the virus achieve this?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             11-Sep-00  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

TAC

test

Message 3/13             11-Sep-00  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

TAC

test

Message 4/13             12-Sep-00  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

shep

Can you list any tracks that use the effect?

Maybe you're talking about detuned oscilators? When Oscilator 1 and 2 are separated slightly in pitch, it has a "separated" sound... and if they're controlled by LFO it can give it that variation.

Message 5/13             12-Sep-00  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

99devils

Well, the Virus can have it's filters set in a 'split' mode, where you'd have two independent filters panned left and right. They can be tweaked seperately, so it's possible that you can get that kind of sound out of a Virus. I'd have to hear it to know what you're talking about.

-Craig

Message 6/13             12-Sep-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

phunkytek

I did get the result by changing the osc mix levels with them detuned while the filter is being swept slowly, and wham I got it. The problem with my Nova is that i can only change the level of one osc at a time, and then the knob is in the wrong position and when I switch back to the other osc, it jumps, so I had to record each osc level in two passes, but I'm missing some of the feel of doing them at the same time. Does the Virus have dedicated knobs for each osc level, or a buton that switches between them and one knob.

Message 7/13             12-Sep-00  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

99devils

The virus has an overall osc volume control, and an osc mix control. It's also got a filter balance control as well. To get what I think you want, you'd simply turn the osc mix control (osc 2's volume increases as osc 1's volume decreases and vice versa as you pass the center point).

-Craig

Message 8/13             12-Sep-00  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

norsez

Link?: Link

To the original question. Well, not necessarily. If you sweep a resonant filter on a PWM wave with, say, a triangle suboscillator (think Juno). When the cutoff is fully open, the sub osc will be heard as the darker content which meatens the sound. About the 2 filters on the Virus, you can achieve much much weirder effects than that.

Message 9/13             12-Sep-00  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

phunkytek

Well, can you adjust the mix level of the differant osc at the same time? Do they have dedicated knobs for each osc. The nova does'nt and i have to record the level changes for diferant osc over multiple passes. you get a better feel when mixing the levels at the same time.

Message 10/13             13-Sep-00  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: virus dual filter question

99devils

Like I said before, you get a blend, not a seperate control for each osc. Overall level of the patch is controlled by the osc volume knob (kind of, but keeping it simple) and the blend between oscs 1 and 2 is controlled by the osc balance knob. so to "pan" between oscs 1&2 you can simply use the blend knob.

The volume adjustments are relative.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)