aaa Could someon please keep this section ANALOG - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             28-May-00  @  01:40 PM   -   Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

techheadz

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I own a small analog synthesizer studio and would like to discuss anything about non patching analog synthesizers.Do you hate presets?I DO.

Please try to keep the discussions limited to currently available analog synths.Don't email me about virtual synths please.IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD BUY A NEW ANALOG SYNTHESIZER LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS ON ANOTHER FORUM.

I AM NOT AN ANALOG NAZI WHATEVER THE HELL THAT IS.I JUST WOULD LIKE TO FIND LIKE MINDED OSC. DRIFTERS.

HERE'S A HINT: IF THE MANUAL THAT CAME WITH YOUR SYNTHESIZER DIDN'T SAY TO WARM THE UNIT UP 30mins. PRIOR TO USE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG AREA.

LET'S MAKE THE ANALOG KORNER ANALOG!!!!!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             28-May-00  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

me again

Sorry about th lack of th E on the header.

Message 3/13             29-May-00  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

k

so what units you got then?

Message 4/13             29-May-00  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Yeah, I'd love to see more OSC drifters here too. Just wish people would start making surface mount stuff so that one could fit a modular in their pocket, you know? The real problem that I see with most harcore analog syntrh freaks is that they more into having the units, and twiddling with them than actually making music. Why is this?

Ape

Message 5/13             29-May-00  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

Hank D

Link?: Link

Ok heres the business:Doepfer MS404,MCV-4,FR-777,Analog Solutions Mini pwr.,Seekers Voice Spectra Vocoder,S5000,CD3000,Mpc,FINALIZER96k,Space Echo.I used to have an Xbase09,but somehow I let that one slip away(the sound of me kicking my arse).
In answer to your question...I just don't know.I knew this Arab kid in Tampa who had it all 303,101,202,909,and a six- trak.Anyway he would make the slackest 4/4 half-acid techno w/Michael Jordan samples.MICHAEL STINKING JORDAN IN TECHNO?
So I just ordered a good chunk of my analog gear and am presently hanging out at da crib waiting for the UPS dork.I am not a newbie,27, programming since 88 w/ a juno2 and a C64.I.ve had the 404 for 3 yrs. and it's brilliant, so trashy yet so funky.As usual I have bought analog devices which I have never seen before.I personally produce Acid Breakz,I just can't seem to get over the feeling that a funky break and a fat distorted monosynth gives you.
Synths of my past whom I remeber more about than any of my x-slutz:
Pro One
SH-101
MS-10
MS-20
Juno2
Prophet 600
Juno 106
MC-202
Boss DM-1 first boss echo pedal.(big like the CE-1)
OBXa
Akai VX600( A really cool VCO synth w/37key)
You know.. I Don't ever wan't to put that into the form of a list again,How fucking depressing.
Any way I'm stoked that the studio is finally coming together as Required,I thought for a minute that I would be stuck w/ a DR202&the electribe EA-1( a e real lightweight on my opinion).
I really wish that 80% of this VA crap would just disappear.Can't Roland Just reissue the classics so we can ALL get back to making good music.I mean can you say zipper noise.Filters that run out of steam...etc.What's up w/ all these grooveboxes,I mean how many times can you repackage that damn S770 sound library.
My other beef is w/ these so called artists in the magazines who say they use something in their music and in reality it just sits there collecting dust(like my EA-1).
All in all I think that the greatest thing about non-patching monosynths is that they force you to develop good programming ability.You also develop your own sound,which is a priceless gift to possess.
What kind of music are you people making w/ your synths and do you use old or new analog or a combination of both?Well I am supposed to be working so I better get off this machine.
Even though I have spent all available cash at the moment,I am looking for a high quality/low cost vinyl pressing plant.(so any contacts would be nice)
If you are a promoter anywhere in the US or Canada and you have a track record for great parties(700+ w/ full visuals and massive subs please leave your email or just go ahead and shoot me one).I DON'T DJ(no disrespect)it's all live.
Within about 2 wks. I should have some mp3,real,quicktime content available soon at www.illjamz.com

later

Message 6/13             29-May-00  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

You know, I'd actually prefer to see more people building nice handmade pieces, cuz it's not THAT hard. Enough people have done the research that the plans are out there if you want the goods. Sounds like you already have some really nice stuff. Like I say, it's a shame to see rich wankers doing nothing with these tools, and then the artists stuck with the Roland 'synthesis for dummies' boxes.

Ape

Message 7/13             29-May-00  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

Hank Dank

Have you ever built anything that turned out gig worthy or was it just a project piece,you know two boards and a mess of wiring?If you could point me in the direction of some basic circuits to learn on that would be cool.You know a man(or a woman)can never have too many osc.,lfo,filters.Keep in mind I'm more likely to burn down my house than to get anything done w/ a soldering iron.MATH IS NOT MY FRIEND.What style of beats did you produce?DO you know anything about converting a UK cd3000 to run off US mains?I bought a conversion box but I was wondering if the freq. difference would affect performance/reliability(hoping to use this instead of 5000@ parties).

later

Message 8/13             29-May-00  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

H

All someone really needs if they don't have any flow is to get an MS404 and a Boss DR202(it has an external track).The trick is to use an analog delay w/ an almost infinite feddback and you can change the ranges on the 404 w/ switches(be careful they're kind of cheesy.)Samplers are all over pawn shops for cheap,Roland s330/550/50 are a good buy.12 bit clear yet warm.If you can bag a W-30.Liam Howlett used that piece alone to launch Prodigy(who are pretty much useless these days ).All of that kit won't set you back much more than a crack o crack box will.The DR202 is a sleeper in my opinion.It's entirely possible that it is the only useful piece in the current line.The filter sounds alot nicer than any other digital I've heard,not for those cheesy ass synth sounds on board mind you,but used on the beats it sort of makes it breathe.With a slow hip hop beat and that filter you could even give portishead a run for the money ;)

NOW IF I COULD JUST GET SOME SORT OF GOV'T CAR REPAIR ASSISTANCE CHECK I COULD GET THOSE NEW STRUTS AND BRAKEPADS MY CARS BEEN RATTLING AND SCREECHING ABOUT I COULD GET OUT OF THIS REDNECK TOWN.ERRRRRRRRRRRR...oh sorry I thought this was therapy.

later

Message 9/13             30-May-00  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

dxm_zine

I have read in spin that some dude is releasing a peice of hardware that fits on a technics turntable and makes records from Mp3 cassete cd for something like $3000. Sound legit and that ma answer Hankie

Message 10/13             30-May-00  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Could someon please keep this section ANALOG

H

Link?: Link

Actually that is a Vestax piece.It's even in the latest catalog.I just took a break to go find it.it's on page 10,the VRX-2000 to be exact.I heard about this last summer and I've been keeping up w/ this one.Here's a quote "Innovative Vinyl Cutting Machine changes the world's music scene.VRX-2000 records the music on vinyl AND in stereo.Thanks to a newly invented special vinyl,recorded vinyl can be played back w/ regular turntables.The sound quality and durability is almost the same as commercial records and it is even suitable for scratch play(amen).Original vinyl can be made without a mother plate,pressing process or any other special equipment"

Now that your sold ,ole research everything hankie has found the catch.
It seems that from the factory it can't cut any frequency below 500hz.(don't panic the big h is on top of the situation)My and another ol skool fools best guess is it's just a highpass filter so we're just going to get rid of that shite
Back 2 da bad newz.If your bass frequencies are out of phase,the needle,if it even cuts it on the lathe,is going to jump out of the groove and that aint the kind of scratchin we lookin fo.
So basically you have to cut the overall level down,and that's not any good either.
Mr. D to the rescue,Hank has a finalizer96k.phase correlation meter,multiband dynamics,insert for a meequalizer(i love UK eq)and 96k 24bit D to A's.perfect complement to a filterless VRX-2000.Rack that badboy up over it and make some fucking history.Imagine that a vinyl sampler.
BUT how does this help you guys?...If you have some Phat Muzik.I'll take care of you as far as mastering.The better the music the cheaper the service.And if anyone can come up w/ a VRX-2000....Well we need to chat because I have half of a vinyl workstation,G4 450 w/TC Spark XL,Jam,scsi card,Microboardz CD-R w/Matsu mechanism,2496 card , and that finalizer 96k.
But my money system has been terminated.I don't even have a job and I'm surrounded by rednex.So no cutter for me,but don't cry I spent my rent money and my car repair fund on 3 nice analog devices,777,vocoder,and that mini modular.(smartest fuckin thing I ever did) The 777 came and I really need to get back to it so I will have something to work on tomorrow w/ my scrath dj danny bwoy.BUT a short review of the 777:if a 303 and i aint talkin mc here was a hit of acid this things the whole damn sheet..im melting im melting im melting away.
As for that thing cutting mp3 thatz jus market hype.It's got rca jacks.You could cut off a dictaphone if you like.you could finally do a direct vinyl to vinyl dub of those rare '85 mantronik jointz you've wanted to flip but were afraid someone would gank that shit.It's only a bit bigger than a 1200.

And to all those across the pond cheers.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)