aaa Presets - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Presets

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             09-Jul-00  @  03:53 AM   -   Presets

caduceus

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I am looking to get a VA, and at the moment looking at the Virus b versus the Nova. I'm not going to ask you to choose for me, but I need to know, do the presets of the Nova realistically represent how good it is and the kind of results you can get when you are competanat at programming it. When I demo such synths I need to know the presets are telling the truth, as I do not know much about programming until I buy one.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             09-Jul-00  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Presets

Craig

Link?:  No link

If you're into Trance, then as much as i am irritated by mine, then buy the Nova.... it's full of Trance presets which are of no use to me (who likes to work on something a bit more original). Let the flames commence.

Message 3/14             09-Jul-00  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Presets

caduceus

I do do Trance, but I also like to work on more experimental stuff, is it also good for that?

Message 4/14             09-Jul-00  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Presets

Craig

The only thing i've found that makes it different from any other synth is its' comb filters... apart from that its pretty much a Juno with a few cheap fx. But for trance it is spot on.... if thats where you mainly wanna go.

Message 5/14             09-Jul-00  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Presets

sitar

Link?:  Link

I've heard some excellent non-trance tracks posted here by ppl. There was a D'n'B track I remember and some other very nice stuff. I think a lot is possible with the Nova. You have to manipulate any synth, add fxs and stuff in the end at least quite often. That's my take.

Message 6/14             10-Jul-00  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: Presets

caduceus

I understand that once I have it it'll be up to me to make the decent sounds, but as I at present couldnt program a syth for beans I need to know "Are the presets a realistic representation of the synhts power?"

Message 7/14             10-Jul-00  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Presets

caduceus

btw what exactly does a comb filter do and sound like?

Message 8/14             12-Jul-00  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Presets

sitar

I'd say that the presets are a very good representation of the sn's power. Go through the performances. If you can crank the volume a bit you'll start to get an idea. Comb filters give you highs and lows in the frequency that if you see them on an oscilliscope look like the teeth of a comb. That doesn't tell you anything but that is why they are called comb filters. To me they give a metallic edge to the sound and you can make the frequency of your choice more pronounced in the spectrum.

Message 9/14             12-Jul-00  @  04:44 AM   -   RE: Presets

WTF?

The Supernova/Nova presets are terrible, some of the worst ever. They are not a good representation of this synth's power.

The filters and FX suck though so buyer beware.

Message 10/14             12-Jul-00  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: Presets

sitar

I guess it depends on how you look at it. You can make lots of sounds that are not in the presets, but that's what you'd expect.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)