aaa The Nova Doube saw massacre - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Nova Doube saw massacre

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             21-Nov-00  @  04:45 PM   -   The Nova Double Saw massacre

joe

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

The SNova/Nova 2 sound fantastic.
I have Nova 1 and I don't really feel
a major itch to upgrade.

The Nova can make really HUGE sounds as it is. If you don't think so, you havent spent enough time with it.

The Nova series are great, now I am going to make some more music...

PS. I will put up some of my fav Nova sounds on my webby real soon.

(...You go upstairs and get your granpa..)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             21-Nov-00  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

Memmy

What other synths do you have to compare this huge sound with?

Message 3/16             21-Nov-00  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

ggehiere

Link?: Link

I just got my Nova on Saturday (3
days ago). I love it!

Waldorf makes some gear that's
pretty cheap and pretty phat, like the
Q, which is $1500CDN more than
the Super Nova (about!). But I think
what makes the Nova rock (besides
3 oscillators, which technically
seems to be what makes the
difference) is that is sounds
polished.

The Nova sounds like an analogue
synth that's been cleaned up,
compressed, processed and filtered.
It sounds like an analogue synth
after it's been run through some
famous musician's half million dollar
studio - not before.

And I don't know any other synth that
sounds like that.

Message 4/16             23-Nov-00  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

Joe

What other synths?
ok, I regularly work with a friend who
has a

Juno 106 - Nova can do any thing that can do with one leg

Roland SH101 - The super squelchy stuff takes some doing, but again no problem

Some old Oberheim thingy (can't remeber the name) - but the deep bass swells are a synch with the nova.

In fact most of the above it can do with one osc!!! hahhaha

With all 3, Moog sounds are easy.

Is that enough huge synths???

It really is a top class machine, it just needs time spent on it to get results.

Message 5/16             23-Nov-00  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

k

the reality of owning real old analogs aint wuite as glamerous as it's made out to be, i think they are a total pain in the arse to use. I thought that comment somewhere on this forum about S/N sounding like a real analog AFTER it's been compressed and eq'd etc to get it under control was quite a good comparison.. people bang on about analogs fast attack & it's rawness, but in most cases that just blows out your cones or fries your tweeters as-is once you start to push it...

Message 6/16             23-Nov-00  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

psylichon

I find that the Nova has almost too much balls. I'm almost always using subtractive EQ in the low-mid frequency range of my Nova basses to tame the blue beastie.

Other than that, I find that my Nova EQ's itself... most tracks I record from it go untouched. A little compression sometimes, but with some clever programming, you can control the dynamics from the program itself. The Nova is extremely polished sounding, which can be a detriment to some. The way I look at it, you can always make a signal uglier, but not necessarily vice versa.

peace...

psylichon

Message 7/16             24-Nov-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

k

yeah - often overlooked - each Nova part has a dedicated filter/eq... yum ! - you can tune in to a fat rounded sub-bass-end or make honking midrange harshness

Message 8/16             24-Nov-00  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

phunkytek

It does make huge sounds. I compare that to my Juno, and 101.
As k said it sounds very analog in the mix. You have to compress your old syths, gate them to reduce line noise, and eq them to fit in the mix and in the end they sound very much like a Nova does. The nova sounds a lot closer to being finished right out of the synth. It has a very finished analog sound. It has changed my sound for the better and saves me so much time. I have been sampleing my analogs and that sounds great too. I multi-sample all the way up the scale(all C,F# notes) and i end up with quality analog presets that sound like the original with the midi advantages an Emu offers and no noise or cv/gate anomolies. The sound comes out of sampler cleaner but retains punch. My sampler and the nova are my staple in the studio. I have even made presets for my sampler with the nova, and my microwave. I had read depechmode uses all those analog synths to make sample presets on their esi4000 samplers. i had always been a fan of their sound production. Sampling my nova , i layer diferent sounds,and use the z-plane filters to morph between them. I made a great preset out of a pad from the nova and a gritty noise fm sound from the XT.

Message 9/16             25-Nov-00  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

Stefan

I've bought the PPG Wave PlugIn some days ago. It is a fascinating instrument and comes very close to the original.
It comes so close to the original that I am very glad to have virtual-analog synths with much less limitations, lots of knobs, smooth sounds etc.
There is a special button in the program that chooses "true PPG mode", where you have the aliasing, slow LFO refresh rates and all the other mistakes of the original instrument that were caused by the limited processor power.

Sure, the original PPG wave was not a classic analog synth. But it is a unit from a generation of synths that are often rated and compared to the modern "toys" with lots of nostalgia but not with objectivity.

Message 10/16             26-Nov-00  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: The Nova Doube saw massacre

phunkytek

that is why I bought the microwave XT. They did have analog filters on the second PPG wave. I started makeing presets for my sampler out of the pro5 demo i downloaded from Steinberg. I love VA and digital combinations of VA and analog mixed with digital sounds. It give the music it's texture. Some stuff is warm and some is thin. It works so well. I used to think it all had to be warm and fat, but as I've progressed i realize i was just ignorant when i thought everything had to be analog. And music has changed anyway. When i started the music i liked just needed a 909 and 303. simple Acid phunk is dead, and complex sound production has replaced it.It can't be done with one type of synth. My nova makes it easier.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)