aaa Nova Queries - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova Queries

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             22-Jul-00  @  12:08 PM   -   Nova Queries

oquinlan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well I finally got around to having a go on a Nova this afternoon, and I must say I was impressed far more than by the Virus. I have a few questions though, please bear with me as I'm new to these sort of synths:
1. On the virus you can shape the oscillator wave very precisely between square and sawtooth to create different waves, is this possible on the nova or are you stuck with saw and pulse?
2. What is the difference between a performance and a program and how would you use them.
3. If you have something coming in from the input and using the filtering etc does it use one of the six parts, not allowing you to use this part for synthesis?
4. How does the vocoder affect multitimbrality, polyphony?
5. Those of you who've had your nova for a while soes it still continue to inspire you?
Thanks, Oliver

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             22-Jul-00  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: Nova Queries

sitar

Link?:  Link

I can answer a couple of those. The difference between a program and a performance is that a performance is made up of up to 6 (I think) programs. I'm not 100% sure of the number because I have a Supernova. You can control the programs in a performance individually via midi out of and into a sequencer. This gives you multitimbrality ie multiple programs playing different motes at the same time.

You can also build performances which are very big because you have multiple programs layered together. You can in this and in any case treat a performance as if it were a single program.

I've had my Supernova since last summer and it is still what I use most. I have a few very good synths and a power sampler. You'll learn a lot about synthesis just by playing with it.

Questions 3 & 4 pertain specifically to the Nova.

As far as shaping the wave, there are several ways of changing a wave through filtering, distortion, etc. That's what subtractive synthesis is all about. But changing the waveform itself, I don't think so but I could be very wrong so maybe someone can enlighten me if I am.

Message 3/17             22-Jul-00  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: Nova Queries

Oliver

Thanks Sitar

The bit I was talking about was the knob on the virus that morphs the waveform from "Wave" to square to saw, is this what is meant by pulsewidt modulation, becasue in the FM review it says there is allot of variation that can be achieved in the basic waveform using PWM. Tell me if I'm talking complete crap 'cos I don't understand allot of this stuff until I get my hands on one of these synths :-).

Message 4/17             22-Jul-00  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: Nova Queries

Oliver

Another thing I forgot to add:
RE performances, so you cwould just set up all your vocies for a track in a performance and put a PC in the sequencer to simply switch to this performance rather than all the voice parameters being stored in the sequencer (as you would in my RM1x)

Message 5/17             22-Jul-00  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: Nova Queries

sitar

Link?:  Link

What I do in Logic and Cakewalk is this. I have the instrument definition for all of my synths in both the sequencers. Say I'm using Logic. I open the Supernova in midi track 1. I choose the program I want to use for that track. Then I choose track 2 and choose a different Supernova program. The same for tracks 3-8. This is possible when the Supernova is set to performance mode. I record what I want on each track and and it all plays back as if I had 8 different Supernovas. Each program can be tweaked and changed in any way I want to from filter sweeps to recording delays. Every knob I move during recording will record into my sequencer and play back. It's fun to watch the LCD as a recorded knob change plays back. You see the numbers go through all the changes you made when you view the respective parameter on the LCD.

Message 6/17             22-Jul-00  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Nova Queries

Stefan

Link?: Link

Question 1: Nova/SN do not have the possibility to shape between saw and square wave.

Q. 5: Yes, a lot.

Regards Stefan

Message 7/17             23-Jul-00  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: Nova Queries

Oliver

It does seem like a ver inspiring instrument, in half an hour of playing with it I came up with loads of stuff.

Message 8/17             23-Jul-00  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: Nova Queries

lol

you cannot morph between saw and pulse but you can modify these waves with "soften", "formant width" and "sync skew". these can produce different shapes.
And don't forget the new os4 which will give us new oscillators (or new controls?)

Message 9/17             23-Jul-00  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: Nova Queries

k

yes, it works differently on the nova series, like the man says above, you use a few other parameters to effect the shape & cycle of the wave pulses which in effect gives you the same thing and more. thus the supernoa/nova ius able to create FM & other sounds without samples like the virus uses -
the audio in is an option as an oscillator like on most synths that do this, so it becomes an oscillor and obviously you need to use one PART/Programme at least to apply filter etc to the audio-in... true also as above, in part mode (performance) like most synths you can stack sounds on the same midi channels to create big fat sounds up to a max amount of layers as there is parts. - on the NOVA, you get 6 parts to which you can select a programme to play as that part... each part can have it's own channel , polyphony setting, tuning, output setting and dedicated multi-fx section (the whole fx selection is avalable per-part), so you get 6 dedicated multi-fx processors (including an eq section which REALLY can alter the sound drastically) - the reverb isnt superb, but good enuff (and you get 6 of 'em on the nova, 8 on the s/nova).. certainly live it's good enuff and perfectly up to standard for working although obviously like all added synth fx, you can always BUY better if you want to

Message 10/17             23-Jul-00  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: Nova Queries

Oliver

Thanks, this synth is looking more and moe desirable the more I find out about it :-)

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)