aaa How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             22-Jul-00  @  11:47 AM   -   How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Greywalker

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi. I am new with syntheziers and I was just wondering how easy the Nova/Supernova are for beginners? If you could email me to let me know I would really appreciate it.

From,
Nick
aka Greywalker

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             22-Jul-00  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

sitar

Link?:  Link

I just emailed you. I can't remember if I signed my name or not.

Message 3/19             22-Jul-00  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

satori

Just read all messages in a topic - 'Any chances of a new manual?' which was
17 June 2000.
Generally, brilliant sound, hot look and... dog to read manual and no support of
SoundDiver as yet. That support will create new wave of fantastic sounds. You can use of course ready made sounds. They are great. Multitimbral section is easy to understand and to set up with your sequencer.
When comes to designing new sounds, than your trouble will start.
You can play randomly with buttons and... you can make fantastic sounds.
But it's very hard to do exactly what you want to design without SoundDiver or other programs to edit that beautiful beast. It is like Ferrari or a beautiful and sophisticated woman. You will have learn your way to handle it.
After all, I'm still in love with my Supernova.

Message 4/19             23-Jul-00  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Stefan

Link?: Link

The supernova has the best user interface of all virtual analog synthesizers that I know.

Even this will not make some basic knowledge of subtractive sythesis unnecessary.

Message 5/19             23-Jul-00  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

flaming_hooligan

Link?: Link

hi,

Actually, I think the jp-8080 has the best interface. Absolutely no menus needed and even has a few sliders. I love sliders.

The Supernova does sound better though, except for the filters on the 8080 which I think are more dynamic.

Which do you think is better for pads? Everyone says that the 8080 is the best for pads but I always find my Supernova to fill the void nicely.

flaming_hooligan

Message 6/19             24-Jul-00  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

satori

I had tested jp-8080 for one weekend before I bought SN. I didn't find any sounds I would like in jp-8080. Maybe that's me. But when I heard SN, (Was twice the price of jp-8080!) my choice was of course SN. Regards pads, SN had pads very juicy, rich and... transparent in the mix. IMHO Supernova is just perfect for ambient, esoteric stuff I do often.

Message 7/19             24-Jul-00  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

realtrance

Link?:  Link

Both are great instruments, but I'd recommend the JP8080/8000 line for a beginner over the SN.

The SN is a lot of money for one synth, and it is marvelously deep, and it has a great raft of onboard sounds, but if it had been the first VA I'd started with, I know I'd have been swamped and frustrated quickly.

The SN is actually quite complex to program effectively. Which doesn't mean it has a complex interface; on the contrary, it's got a more "natural" and intuitive user interface -- given its depth -- than almost anything out there (except maybe the Q keyboard).

BUT: you really have to have some experience making sounds, knowing what various settings will result in aurally, how to combine oscs and waves, how to sculpt same, what to use envs and lfos and other modulations on, to make it worth having spent such an amount on a VA.

If you're really into that, or have the patience to take the time to read and learn, you can make incredible sounds NO other VA out there can even come close to emulating, and you'll get a richness of tone which only some of the best original analogues still in good shape can come close to.

If you're still on a learning curve, though, you'll understand more, faster, from the simpler architecture of the JP-8080 than you will from the SN. The 8080's also got a _great_ and sophisticated vocoder, and wonderful abilities to mix external sounds (via analogue input), which the SN doesn't have (the Nova and SN II _do_ have the external input, though).

rt

Message 8/19             24-Jul-00  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

k

it's the only major synth i've got that i can work with without even looking at the manual - the only time i had to look in the book was: 1. to see how to setup PARTS, that required about 20 seconds just to grasp the proceedure, then that was it - 2. To see exactly WHAT was happeing with the formant width & skew etc... but that was more just intellectual interest, it didnt actuall have anything to do with making a sound... it is basically MEGA fast to work with.. everything is as logical as it could possibly be. Another boon, is that if say you flip from the filter mod to the envelope, the setins are displayed - it 'remembers' where everything is... the actual physical knob may not (like all synths) actually be in the same position as the setting, but you can see the setting on the screen. - excellent... all in all tho, the best thing about it is, if i did TRance, it'd allow me to do a set... also likewise if i did hardcore, rnb, hiphop, pop/chart music, drum&bass, etc etc... whatever... it has the sounds to get you working straight away

Message 9/19             24-Jul-00  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

roller8

I agree in saying the Nova is the easiest piece of gear I have to operate. It also required almost no time to work it into my existing setup. learning parts was easy as Kilo said. The hardest thing for me to get to using right away was the audio input/vocoder. But even that is not rocket science and a new OS might potentially make that even easier. Great synth. I give it a 10.

Message 10/19             25-Jul-00  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

lightyear

The Nova is my second synth, and my
first analogue style synth. I am very
happy with it. Great sound and best
interfac

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)