aaa MC-202 sync/seq. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MC-202 sync/seq.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             23-May-00  @  01:47 PM   -   MC-202 sync/seq.

boogie_device

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am thinking about purchasing an MC-202 soon, but I have 2 questions first. Maybe someone can help out.

I would be using my Novation Drumstation’s DIN sync out to sync the 202. I have read that the 202 works best when used as a controller because of lag when being controlled, but does this only apply when using CV/Gate? Apparently, it routes the incoming MIDI clock signal through the CPU or something and it causes a delay? Has anyone experienced this problem? Is the same problem applicable when using DIN sync?

Also, is there any way to store sequences? How bad/good is the sequencer?

Thanks---> scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             23-May-00  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

oldskool

The 202 is a great unit, I find it best when used with its internal sequencer as once mastered can give you some great results, like the TBs can. The lag problem can be minimised by putting the 202 into play mode rather than write mode, its lessens it but not completely. Finally there is a piece of shareware (in JAVA) called 202Hack which allows you to save data onto your pc and convert midifiles to 202 data and vice versa. Hope this helps.

Message 3/21             23-May-00  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

komputerkontrolled

The 202 hates Drumstations. Novations thinks there doing users favors by putting SYNC24 near the socket, but they're deluding themselves and anyone else. The clock is different, although the 909 is ok. But the 202 hates Novations SYNC24 clock as you'll get way gay results. The timing wil drift like a train reck and you'll say "I'm not havin it" .

Message 4/21             24-May-00  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

boogie_device

Thanks for the replies. I plan on using the internal sequencer, but I am looking for a way to clock it without the lag problem in my Logic setup. Apparently, as stated above, the Drumstation's SYNC24 is basically worthless? Has anyone tried a Kenton Solo? That would eliminate the internal sequencer though...hmmm...

Message 5/21             28-May-00  @  05:55 AM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

909 Inc.

Link?: Link

The sync timing from my drumstation
is good. I am running a
303,606,909,and two 202's off of the
sync24 output on the drumstation.

I got some drift once, but I think my
seqencing program was phucked,
once I did a clean re-install, the
timing was fine.

I also use the alesis mmt8 for
seqeuncing and it works great (as far
as sync timing through the
drumstation is concerned)

In my experience, the sync 24 out on
the drumstation is great, and works
in my setup.

Oter option is a Philip Rees midi to
sync, but I never used it, so I can't say
anything about it.

909 Inc.

Message 6/21             29-May-00  @  07:09 AM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

Maarten

Link?:  Link

I use a Philip Rees ,solid timing. Speaking of which ,when I want to switch part during playback ,I switch the thing(TB) off , select a different part , turn back on ,(all this while everythings still running)and then the timing is all bad. Isn't there a better way to jump through different parts?This is the only time it's off timing.

-M-

Message 7/21             29-May-00  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

boogie_device

All right. So there are two opposite opinions of the Drumstation’s SYNCH24. When my 202 arrives (I bought it), and I get my Drumstation back from the shop, I’ll link the two and see what happens. If the connection is bunk, I’m thinkin’ Kenton Pro 4 as other synths must be synched as well. Costs money though…

I checked out that 202 hack. Does anyone know if it will run on Windows ’98?

Also, is there an online manual posted anywhere? I looked around and found nothing.

thanks

Message 8/21             29-May-00  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

oldskool

Maarten, why are you switching the TB off to select a different part??? No wonder the timing is bad!

Message 9/21             29-May-00  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

komputerkontrolled

Dude, it's your trax. But I'm telling you the Drumstation clock is totally wack. I've already seen the result, it's bad news. I never tried the MIDI section, as I rarely use MIDI except for the main clock and everything else slaves via SYNC 24. Please don't embarras yourself in a club environment iand attempt to utilize the Drumstation live. Just say I warned you and if they throw you out, due to horrible train recks and highhats stacking on your kicks...

Message 10/21             29-May-00  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: MC-202 sync/seq.

Local boy

Link?:  Link

Please explain to me how you trigger the Drumstation without MIDI and how the bad sync you claim it has affects the timing of your kicks and hats. I think your problem is unrelated to the Sync24 output of the drumstation and more likely a MIDI problem.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)