aaa Virus LFO Midi Sync - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Virus LFO Midi Sync

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             24-Oct-00  @  08:55 PM   -   Virus LFO Midi Sync

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

yes, another retarded virus question:

okay, so if i've set an LFO to a two-bar cycle (2/1), is there any way to specify when the cycle begins? (i.e with a down-sawtooth lfo, what if i want it to peak at some time other that the first beat of every odd bar?)
i'm trying to get it to peak on the "and" of beat 1 of every odd bar (i.e shifted right by an 1/8 note from where it would "normally" peak), but that's not really working.
starting the seq. at different places seems to work, but that fucks the other lfos up...

i'm guessing i'll just have to draw CC sawtooths, but if anyone knows how to shift an lfos midi-sync'd cycle left/right please let me know.

and sorry as usual for the complete lack of coherent explanation.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             24-Oct-00  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

99devils

I thought there was a way to do this in the menus, but it escapes me what it is called. I'll check when I get home, but I thought under 'Control' there was a parameter called LFO 1 Phase Init (& LFO 2 & 3 phase init), I think, maybe, this might be what you're looking for?

I could be way off here. I'll check it out and get back to you.

-Craig

Message 3/24             24-Oct-00  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

swanofnever

yeah, i tried PhaseInit in my quest last night... too lazy to touch the manual, it seemed to be shifting the lfo's start point as wanted, _until_ i started playing keys -- it re-trigs the lfo everytime you play a key. the phase is where in the lfo's cycle it jumps to when you hit a key.

damn, what's wrong with me, i really can't explain as i should...

Message 4/24             25-Oct-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

boomer

But isn't that the way it is supposed to be?
You determine starting phase so everytime you
press a key, it starts at that determined phase.

Message 5/24             25-Oct-00  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

99devils

No, retriggering the LFO for every keystroke is using the LFO as an envelope, not an LFO.

Hmm, good question Swan. I didn't try it, so   Maybe try the access mailing list?

-Craig

Message 6/24             25-Oct-00  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

swanofnever

yeah, i'm still not so sure about the mailing list... they

a) didn't answer my last question...

b) seem to be more caught up in drooling over the imaginary virus C specs than in answering ANY useful questions... i seriously doubt anyone on the list cares about A owners...

i'll try though.

Message 7/24             25-Oct-00  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

norsez

Link?: Link

Not sure if I understand your question right.

But first thing first, to use init phase is the same thing as to make LFOs retrigger. Because with Init phase=0 it means LFOs will start at a random phase everytime you depress a key. Other value than zero means starts at that determined phase everytime you depress a key. (Craig, the Env parameter is nothing but an option to make LFO oscillate only for 1 period. It's different from the conventional LFO key retrigger option.)

Now if you want the peak of the downward saw LFO to be anywhere but not at the beginning of a beat. You have to use the Init Phase and, yes, it will retrigger to start at the same phase everytime you depress a key.

I don't have my Virus b with me right now but say if you want the first beat to start the downward LFO with nothing to bottom peak to top peak and then down... Set the init phase to 64 so thatthe saw will start at pi (nothing) to 2*pi (bottom peak) to 0*pi (top peak) ....

I know this is not the start place you want but you get the idea and you can experiment with it.

I hope I understood the question right.

Message 8/24             25-Oct-00  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

swanofnever

yeah, the prob. is it _can't_ re-trigger with each note -- or at least i don't want it to... maybe i'll have to do this with CCs, but all i want is the LFO to do what it normally does when set to 2/1 clock (i.e one cycle every 2 bars, regardless of keys pressed) only with each cycle starting somewhere other than the beginning of the first bar...

cause i'm playing lots of short notes (not some long, pad-y thing) that i want to change... the lfo gets to be a third, midi-sync'd hand that's twisting cutoffs, ocs-vol and a couple other things simultaneously.
i'd just sort of like to cut down on the CCs as much as possible, as i'm using an atari to seq...

Message 9/24             26-Oct-00  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

norsez

Link?:  Link

Oh you didn't say you played a lot of short notes.
Again I haven't got to my Virus but use that trick
I mentioned up there with the LFO set to mono.
I think that should at least sound closer to what you want.

Message 10/24             31-Oct-00  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Virus LFO Midi Sync

influx

Link?:  Link

well hang on now. why not just turn off the key trigger?

we talkin 1 or 2 here?

leave the initphase at 0 and no key trigger wont that work?

OR...why not try velocity to lfo phase. will THAT Work? hmmm. fun!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)