aaa MC303 or TR909 clone? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MC303 or TR909 clone?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             09-Jul-00  @  10:06 AM   -   MC303 or TR909 clone?

trevor

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Is the MC303 a good unit to have if you use it just as a drum module? I hear that it is a rather crap machine but is good for drum sounds. The thing is, I've realised that it would be cheaper to buy a second hand MC303 (I've seen one dead cheap) than actually buy the rest of the parts I need for my TR909 clone I'm building. And it would save me shitloads of time. I'm wondering what I should go for. Are the other sounds on the mc303 any good or are they dead? Is the sequencer any good? I understand that the mc303's MIDI implementation is shite. Should I save my money and finish my 909 copy?

Any thoughts... Trev

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             09-Jul-00  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

Pongoid

mc303's sound like shit on a big system. I've seen plenty of live acts using them, and the only reason I can fathom is because they nver go out in front of the system to hear what the box sounds like in the front-of-the-house mix. MIDI implementation is a nightmare with those fucking things. Really save your pennies and get an Xbase. Real analog, can emulate a 909 kick, snare, hat, stick perfectly. The only things lacking are polyphony and a good clap, and you can always use samples of that and the other bits. The 909 is completely digital, save the kick so, no need to get overly precious about using samples for the other tones. 6 bit samples in the original. NICE AND DIRTY!!!!!!   Seriously, the Xbase rocks. I'm getting one.

Ape

Message 3/24             09-Jul-00  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

Pongoid

Keep in mind, when I say this, I already have a 909 and a 606 in my studio.

Message 4/24             09-Jul-00  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

oldskool

Link?:  No link

Trev, the MC303 is ok but NOT a good 909 emulator, you can get a Drumstation for the same money. I say finish your clone instead!

BTW The 909 is mostly analog (kick, snare, rim, clap, toms) it only the hats and cymbals that are samples!

Message 5/24             10-Jul-00  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

cocomox

Link?: Link

no stupid, the kick and snare are analog but rim and clap are samples as well as hats and cymbals. toms are analog.

chunky

Message 6/24             10-Jul-00  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

ReZo 2k

Rim and clap are analog dude.

Pete

Message 7/24             10-Jul-00  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

oldskool

I think you have proven to us all, who is the stupid one! STUPID :>

Message 8/24             10-Jul-00  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

trevor

Dear oh dear.
The clap, kick, snare, tom drums and rimshot are ANALOGUE. Cymbals / hats are DIGITAL. Don't bother fucking arguing - I should know because I've spent the last six months designing pcb's from the schematics...

Trev

Message 9/24             10-Jul-00  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

cocomox

Ok, who the @#$% is posting under my name? 10 to 1 odds it was that "Chim" character.

I wouldn't enter a 909/303 debate, since I really know next to nothing about them technical-wise. And everyone knows that I speak in complete sentences, have correct punctiation, and sign my posts with:

-Nick

Message 10/24             10-Jul-00  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: MC303 or TR909 clone?

komputerkontrolled

Something you should know....

I know someone who actually works for Roland in LA. and he tells me things all the time about inside shite. Take this for instance, the MC-303 has the same engine as the Sound Canvas!!! Different voices yes, but same technology.

Only thing that I can think that the MC-303 can do correctly, is trigger other instruments via MIDI. I know, because I do it all the time. But the voices are thinner than Kate Moss on Chrystal Meth. JUST WAY TOO THIN...

Someting to keep in mind. If you HAD to use a voice in that box, make sure you run it through a big fat analogue filter..

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)