aaa SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             24-Sep-00  @  11:34 AM   -   SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well phil, i'm sorry to say that the SNIIkb that has caused me to doubt myself for a month has been confirmed as faulty. i don't know if it's just this unit but i see other people here with similar problems.

AS FOLLOWS :-

With Local Off

Note data being transmitted into the sequencer is being returned but not registered by the SNIIkb. Check made with other instruments connected to the same midi in cable - they respond.

In performance mode the SNIIkb makes no sound and the part button does not flash indicating it is not receiving midi data, however data definately arriving down the cable as other instruments respond when cables switched.

At certain velocities (usually hard and fast strikes) note off data is not transmitted from the keyboard resulting in stuck notes. The whole situation was confirmed with a midiscanner. We even slaveds the SNIIkb with another keyboard - no stuck notes.

The arpegiattor is extremely problematic and works intermittently as you know, but add this to the above list and it's all adding up.

This test was done this weekend by a far more competent studio engineer than myself and each problem was equally addressed to his newly acquired SNII rack (which IS different but that's another story) and all was fine.

It appears that thefundamental problem is with the keyboard itself and its relationship with the software. I am sending this unit back tomorrow unhappy that i have spent a month trying to fathom out weird situations which at the end of the day you don't expect to have for £1500.00 (credit too!!!).

i am so angry that such a major problem exists and am considering looking at the waldorfs et al as i was originally. it's been 10 years since i had a new master keyboard and sending this machine back now means more studio down time in addition to the time wasted checking random and intermittent faults.

i sincerely hope you've checked your units sent for review because if this is not a one off problem (which i'd like SNIIkb owners to check) then you really should be ashamed of yourselves.

ps. and why can't you manually change the banks with local off. Every other knob and slider i understand, but not being able to change banks, ridiculous???

jon.s

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             25-Sep-00  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

Please send your unit in for service. If you suspected there was a fault why did you not send it in earlier?

Certainly my unit here does not exhibit any of the problems you mention.

Cheers

Phill

Message 3/27             25-Sep-00  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

Please send your unit in for service. If you suspected there was a fault why did you not send it in earlier?

Certainly my unit here does not exhibit any of the problems you mention.

Cheers

Phill

Message 4/27             25-Sep-00  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

it's going back to the shop, phil.

i see other people here are having similar problems and until these arose it was difficult to understand if it was the snII or not.

some faults are temporamental and with a new synth (especially of this nature) you are not aware what does what or why.

and if they don't work as they should then you assume you are doing something wrong.

that is why phil!!!

Message 5/27             25-Sep-00  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

subzeroX

Link?:  Link

well i guess i know what im not gonna buy then

Message 6/27             25-Sep-00  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

subzeroX, i don't mean to be mean to phil, he is here by choice, however if this is a 'real' problem (it is for me) then i think manufacturers have to be held accountable.

i don't spend £1500.00 to be a beta tester and anything that will be rectified in a future os upgrade just should not happen. we're talking rectified here not extras.

digital village are taking the unit back tomorrow and i'll watch tv or something but please understand phil, this unit sends out so much data i can't come to the conclusion it's the unit at fault just by using it a few nights a week (all my time). it's totally alien to me and i'd have to pay postage and packing if i sent it back if I (yes the customer) got it wrong.

for anyone thinking about buying the SNII it is an ace bit of kit providing it functions as it should. i'm just severly disappointed because my time is precious enough as it is.

when i first had the unit the novation technical support for the SNII was not available (why?) hence i resorted to this forum. see my past ailing posts.

anyway, there doesn't seem to be enough SNIIkb owners for a proper analysis yet.

ps. the rack unit seems to operate absolutely fine. differences are alot of menus (banks, arpegiattor, etc) are hidden behind button presses as opposed to being mapped out on the kb.

pps. the rack does not have sliders for the envelopes. might be obvious to some but it's a valid difference don't you think?

Message 7/27             25-Sep-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

I understand your annoyance, I have an AIWA Dat machine that has problems and I have often thought of launching it out of the window to see how well it flies!!!

A friend of mine actually did this with an EMU drumulator (Back when they were the real bo**ocks)...when it would not verify the tape dump.

I have this really revolutionary idea, If yo have a problem why not send it back for service???????????????????????

Some things cannot be fixed with an email.

I would like to say again that I have not had any problems with my unit. (Apart from the known bug, the arp not TXing when local is off)

We will release an upgrade ASAP to fix any known problems and add a whole new set of features ASAP.

Message 8/27             25-Sep-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

I understand your annoyance, I have an AIWA Dat machine that has problems and I have often thought of launching it out of the window to see how well it flies!!!

A friend of mine actually did this with an EMU drumulator (Back when they were the real bo**ocks)...when it would not verify the tape dump.

I have this really revolutionary idea, If yo have a problem why not send it back for service???????????????????????

Some things cannot be fixed with an email.

I would like to say again that I have not had any problems with my unit. (Apart from the known bug, the arp not TXing when local is off)

We will release an upgrade ASAP to fix any known problems and add a whole new set of features ASAP.

Message 9/27             25-Sep-00  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Natually Ripped

lol, sure Phill's is working right, its a prototype, and yours is a "gett'm out the door quickly so we can make mo' money and build the sUPerNOVA 3eeeeeeeeee"

I'm laugh me arse off....great sounds, but shite planning.

----====C L A V I A F O R E V E R ====-----

Message 10/27             25-Sep-00  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Natually Ripped

btw, lol jon, "send your WHOLE unit in for servicing" :o - hmmm, same reply I got on me Nova....you mean....uh, actually go with out the unit for 6-8 weeks after just purchasing it, oOHhhhhh, I'll get right on that.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)