aaa Was 80's pop any good? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Was 80's pop any good?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             23-Sep-00  @  07:21 PM   -   Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm not talking about Phuture and the like, and i know Haircut 100 used a 303 but did the TB ever penertrate the top 40 in the synth pop day's of the 80's?

Maybe A-Ha used one or god dam'it maybe even Jonny Hate's Jazz.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             24-Sep-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

I was watching this thing on Much Music one time...countdown of like best 80's videos, and in this one song (forget like which), the bassline was a TB-303...even was being tweaked like acid!

Get this....did you know that "A Guy Called Gerald" is somewhat responsible for spreading the word and popularity of the 303?

Message 3/28             25-Sep-00  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Lion Hair

Poor Silver Droid has been reading silly articles again. A Guy Called Gerald sucks.

Message 4/28             26-Sep-00  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

htek

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter used it alot, don't know if his music ever made the top 40 though. He's a bastard though!! The track you might be thinking of is probably Shannon's "Let the music Play". That had a 303 for the bass line.

Message 5/28             26-Sep-00  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

hahahahaha Uncle Jimmy @ Lion Hair

Ya, ya...I read it in Future Music issue 100, big whoop.....the same day I got a hold of a bunch of his music and wasn't too impressed...

Message 6/28             26-Sep-00  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

oldskool

A Guy Called Gerald actually was one of the first people in the UK (and probably the world) to use a 303 for acid music, in fact he was in 808 State from day one, and when he left they went crap. The first album they ever did was called "Newbuild" and features some really cool tracks using the 303, then he left to pursue a solo career and did the album "Hot Lemonade" and 808 State turned boring and only ever did 2 decent tracks (Pacific State, the original not one of the endless sellout remixes, and Cubik a killer noise techno track). Albums like "Newbuild" make me think people like Richie Hawtin are not at all original and certainly not a genius. Check it out.

After the first wave of acid (1989) had started to die out here in the UK, A Guy Called Gerald change his style to a more housey vibe then eventually drum and bass, I never really cared much for his later stuff but his early stuff was very good.

Message 7/28             26-Sep-00  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

Gonna have to cheak that Shannon tune out.

808 fuckin' State. Graham Massey was the brain behind the good old Manc techno gods. Here in Manchester they did their own radio show (sunset 102) and were one of the reasons i got in to acid techno in the first place. So 'gods' isn't to strong a word in my mind. Oh, and they ran the Eastern Bloc shop. And they once did the n.y.e Manchester megadog.

........In your face!

Message 8/28             26-Sep-00  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

ReZo 2k

Oh yes, "Let The Music Play". A very popular freestlye song from back in the day. I have this 12". While spending just under 5 years of my elementary years in Chicago, all I heard was freestlye. In fact I started off producing freestlye. I never really noticed that it was a 303 though. I'll have to dig into my crates.

Pete

Message 9/28             27-Sep-00  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Graham Massey? That rings a bell...I think he did a remix for The Future Sound of London....either was for "Papua New Guinea" or "We Have Explosive", can't remember...I gotta check my discography.

Message 10/28             27-Sep-00  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Local Boy

I met Massey once (and the other 3) at the London Music Forum, what a dickhead, he was a judge on a demo panel and he came across as a right dull, head up his arse wanker, some of the tunes he was reveiwing were really good and he was really slating them, none of the points he made were valid. The other 3 were cool though, offering useful advice and generally being more positive. Billie Currie from Ultravox was on the panel too, that was about 7 years ago. If I remeber correctly a couple of the demoists went on to get deals. True about E-bloc and sunset 102 though, I think they are more relevant for that and the music they introduced to the UK than any of their own tedious material, I would not even classify them as Techno, more like prog rock\techno crossover.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)