aaa How does a sequencer work? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: How does a sequencer work?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/37             11-Oct-00  @  03:29 AM   -   How does a sequencer work?

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

By sequencer, I mean a dedicated MIDI sequencer box like the Yamaha Rm1x or those Roland's.....

I'm talking about orchestrating multiple synths and drum machines and such.....like how the fuck is all that done when there's no display like there is in Cubase and Cakewalk?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/37             11-Oct-00  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

H

Link?:  No link

It's all on a tiny LCD.Everything else works the same.Is this a serious question or some sort of set up?I'll be glad to explain but it'll take quite a bit of hunt and peck typing.

H stands for Hardware

Message 3/37             11-Oct-00  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

Maarten

Go to, for example, the Akai site and download the PDF manual for the MPC. You'll see some illustrations of the screen and get a darn good idea what the differences are regarding computer-based applications.One thing is definate : the timing is tight and crash-risk is down to zero.The visability issue is something you get used to pretty fast so don't let that be the reason to withhold you from any decision.

-M-

Message 4/37             11-Oct-00  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

Silver Droid

That's what I've always been wondering...the MPC is a perfect example. Everyone raves about how amazing that thing is for sequencing. I'm really gonna check that shite out tonight. Thanks.

Message 5/37             11-Oct-00  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

Maarten

Trust me on this, bought it like,two months ago and it realy is my centerpiece now.Lots of very cool features at the hit of a button or shift-hit a button... but always fast accessable.Read through the manual a bit for the possibilities.

-M-

Message 6/37             11-Oct-00  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

trev

I'm still kicking myself for selling my mt32 for a stupid, stupid amount of money...

Message 7/37             11-Oct-00  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

Local Boy

Trev, the mt32 is a LA module, and a pretty pantsie one at that! If you got 40squids for it u r laughing.

Message 8/37             11-Oct-00  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

oldskool

Droid, a H/W sequencer is def worth checking, I started off on a trusty mmt8 when they first came out and I did some real cool shite with it. Not being able to see the data on a big screen with graphics and shit can be an advantage, you tend to concentrate more on how the music sounds rather than how it looks. True you can't draw in cc's and shit, but you can produce decent music without all these mod cons. Try out a decent H/W unit like a mmt8, RM1x, MPC or similar for a week or so and you will prolly love it given your unnatural (me too) love for droidz.

Message 9/37             11-Oct-00  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

trev

dammit, I meant mmt8...

Message 10/37             12-Oct-00  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: How does a sequencer work?

Silver Droid

I was checking out the Roland MC-80 and Akai MPC2000. Too fucking expensive. I'm considering a Roland MC-500 or MC-303.

The MC-303 looks the best for me right now. It's got 8 channel (good enough for me right now) and only $325.00 USD.

Comments? (I will not even bother plugging in the MC-303 to my mixer, I only wanna use it for MIDI sequencing and to maybe use the 16 step sequencer with my synths, so let's not open that can of worms!) ;p

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)