aaa DJ's... ack! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: DJ's... ack!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/40             06-Jul-00  @  09:07 PM   -   DJ's... ack!

komputerkontrolled

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I just got in an argument with my co-worker about DJ's. What does everyone else feel about "DJ's"?

I mean how hard is it , to hit start and stop on some decks and count a few bars, throw a cross fader over once in a while??

I really think the producer is the true genious. The one that actually records the original material on the wax and took the laborious task of making the muzik. The one spent thousands of greenbacks and took the time to learn the hardware and software, instead of buying a couple hundred quid on records and acting cool...

Why is it that DJ's get more love, than producers do anyday? Or is this my own perception? What do you blokes think??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/40             06-Jul-00  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

pedicelli

Link?:  Link

I brought up the same argument a long time ago. It is evident that producers should get more credit than DJ's, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Yes, it is the DJ who distributes and gets the producer's music played to the public, but the producers job is a shit load harder than a stupid DJ...

Message 3/40             06-Jul-00  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

komputer

yea PP, I remember this topic and how you commented on it the last time. It was funny as hell the way you put it too! "Count to 4, bob your head up and down a few times...." HAHA, so true man.

I remember this one particular time when I was doing an all atmospere ambient gig at this cofee house. And this way cute girl came up to me DURING my performance..I was standing there triggering my droids, and she leans over and says "dude, where's your turntables... "...and gives my a snide look and walked off. I about grapped a sync cord and about hit her with it across the jaw.! I was soo offended. I mean, what the hell do people think that muzik is just born there on records and it majically appears there for DJ to get all the credit??

hmmph.

Message 4/40             07-Jul-00  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

cocomox

I'm glad you brought this up. I keep hearing all this great praise for DJs...and I'm thinking, what the hell do they have to do anyway? As far as I could tell, it was picking out cool tracks, and playing them...I thought there might be a lot more to it that I was missing...but I guess not.

So, now I'm thinkin...why the hell am I trying to produce, why not just spin and get the credit? Well...I guess it's because there's so much more joy in producing  

Out of curiosity, you can DJ with CDs as well, right? It'd be fun to DJ your own stuff, without having to worry about doing it live (and potentially screwing up big time).

-Nick

Message 5/40             07-Jul-00  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

BWPT

I regularly do live set's in clubs and you dont seem to get the kind of respect that a "look at me i can get two records to go in time and so can my granny" DJ does.No one seems to realise the time and effort gone into writing a decent live set (by the way i dont use computers in my set up,only to edit waves)SO SHOW SOME FUCKIN GRATTITUDE YOU DJ WORSHIPPING MORONS.

Message 6/40             07-Jul-00  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

Maarten

On a brighter note, I have noticed in the last few years that more and more live sets are being booked at parties and festivals.Some of them get as much or maybe even more praise than a Jeff Mills etc. spinning on the decks....the view of the public is therefor changing ...in the Netherlands anyway.
Yes,producers deserve all the credit and the DJ may be thanked by the croud for playing that one good tune but not for letting the tune *be* a good one.
Still, there are one or two DJ's who do deserve some credit for using the turntables almost as a sampler ,taking a sound or two and just scratching a sufisticated tune out of them ,sounding as if it's part of a track, you gotta admit that that's difficult to get the hang of...

-M-

Message 7/40             07-Jul-00  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

ReZo 2k

Link?: Link

The only thing positive about DJ's is that they are the ones who get your music heard. I agree, they do get all the credit and that sucks cause nobody ever knows who the real artists are. I mean DJing does take some skill and practice but its no where near as hard as producing and recording whole tracks. So...why is it that people say a certain DJ is tight cause he plays alot of acid (ie...Hardfloor or George Acosta)? Hardfloor and George Acosta should get all the credit.

I think we all agree here.

Pete

Message 8/40             07-Jul-00  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

Maarten

I do.

Message 9/40             07-Jul-00  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

pedicelli

Wanna laugh??

My brother wants to buy a couple of SL1200's because he thinks he'll be able to MAKE jungle beats.

Also, remember that there are a lot of producers who use DJ names, ie DJ Paul Elstak. There are also a lot of DJ's who produce on the side, such as Armand Van Helden, Paul Oakenfold (does minimal producing...)....

Message 10/40             07-Jul-00  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: DJ's... ack!

cocomox

Sasha has produced some really nice tracks himself (XPander), nice to see some DJs that actually do the work of producing.

If you're going to DJ, why not just take all the songs you want, write them as WAVs on your HD, fade them together, add some blips and stuff if you feel like it, and just burn a new CD? Then, go to a club and play that CD, but move around a lot as if you're doing something. J/k, it just popped in my head  

-Nick

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)