aaa desperate... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: desperate...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/58             16-Sep-00  @  06:04 AM   -   desperate...

trevor

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Can anyone give me their thoughts on what features the sequencer in a 303 clone should have added / omitted? I know I'm probably really, really pissing people off posting these requests all the time but I would really appreciate suggestions. As you might remember, I started this project bloody months ago and it's about time I got started... Thanks all - Trev

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/58             16-Sep-00  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: desperate...

oldskool

Link?:  No link

Keep it basically the same but add some trick features like swing, randomise, pendulum or do it the way ReBirth is used. A better realtime mode would definately be a bonus eg looping around adding or deleting notes with each pass.

Message 3/58             17-Sep-00  @  07:09 AM   -   RE: desperate...

trev

Nice one oldskool, I really appreciate your opinions. I need to know what basic features people would like to see on a clone. You can probably think of the final design as being something like one of Rebirth's 303's, including pattern/step display etc, but hopefully with more features. Please keep those ideas coming..

One question I have at the moment while I happen to think of it: does anyone around here actually find the tap function on the 303 useful? I personally find it completely unusable even at low bpm settings. It seems a crap idea anyway to use the 303's voice circuitry for the metronome sound.

Trev

Message 4/58             17-Sep-00  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: desperate...

trev

A few more questions...

First of all, LED or LCD? I'm going to add a display (like in Rebirth) to show information such as pattern step, pattern number, tempo (when tempo knob is rotated), midi channel etc etc. I want to know if people would prefer a small (say, two, three, possibly four digit) red / green numeric LED display, OR a larger (2x16char) backlit LCD display. The LED display would be cheaper and would probably be better when the unit is being used live in dim light. The LCD on the other hand can display more textual information at once (pattern, tempo, etc etc) and may look nicer but is a bit more pricey and I'm not sure if this would be preferred for live use.

Should I add sync 24 input / output sockets, with midi>sync and sync>midi converters built in?

Thanks for any help..
Trev

Message 5/58             17-Sep-00  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: desperate...

oldskool

LED - last longer, more retro, cheaper.
Sync 24 converters - YES but with subdivisions (12,24,48)

Tap function - I use it quite a lot for normal basslines but I tend to turn the tempo way down and try my luck.

Also Trev please don't have the unit send and recieve all cotrollers over MIDI, it limits each knob to 127 steps and like most people I prefer to "play" my live (as I'm recording).

Message 6/58             17-Sep-00  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: desperate...

cocomox

No offense to oldskool, but on the other side of the coin...please DO have the knobs MIDIfied...you can have so much more going on when they're automated, plus 127 steps is not that bad.

Other features: instant accent switche that can trigger accents on every step, accents on no steps, or accents as programmed. Another identical switch for slide. I had that done to my 777, it was pretty sweet. Poor 777...wish it was still with me  

And how about more than two waveforms? Give it a bunch of them, like on the TR-404 (monosynth in Fruity Loops)

And I like LCD over LED, more info together (although it does have the limitations mentioned).

Just my 2C, hope ya like it!

-Nick

Message 7/58             18-Sep-00  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: desperate...

skot_e

LED...
Dunno bout midi, I like the whole live aspect myself too, but I like the idea of being able to mute it via midi...
The loop idea is good, coz you wouldn't have to enter and exit the pitch mode to add your accents etc...
How would polyphony go ??? Not original but why not chuck it in there.

Message 8/58             18-Sep-00  @  12:59 PM   -   RE: desperate...

oldskool

How about tap buttons for accent and slide in realtime record too?
Also a realtime delete button for taking out notes\accents\slides etc.
I agree with skot_e about the midi muting, but the whole concept of recording knob movements on a 303 = YUK! There are only a few knobs to turn - do it live man! Otherwise it can sound REALLY sterile and predictable.

Message 9/58             18-Sep-00  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: desperate...

cocomox

How about multiple outs (3 or 4 would be sweet)

-Nick

Message 10/58             18-Sep-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: desperate...

htek

Link?: Link

Multiple out? For what? That'll add considerably to the price. I would add the option of being able to switch between play & write mode for sure. Not sure about the midi cc thing either. I figure if you're gonna have an internal sequencer, not real need for too much midi. Any idea on the color? Please don't make it silver=o)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)