aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/75             27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/75             28-Apr-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

Buy a 303 instead of the Nova, then if you can't tell why the 303 is better sell it and get the Nova   I own both and I'd sell my Nova rather than my TB any day. The Nova is cool and does some nice noizes including some ok 303 stuff but it ain't never gonna replace a TB. peaceout

Message 3/75             29-Apr-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

k

you gotta experience it trippin to understand

Message 4/75             29-Apr-00  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

He he K, damn right! One of the things in my life I will always remember is one summer night in 89, me and Arron tripping out of our bonces in a field sans TB303 and walkman speakers looking up at the stars, tweaking the TB, fucking magic. Some kid comes over and asks what we're doing and Arron goes "it's an acid machine" this kid looks puzzled and walks off, we was laughing for fucking ages, kid must of though we were nutters!

Message 5/75             29-Apr-00  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?:  Link

Just remember...you can easily get the SOUND of a 303. I've perfected the sound and envelope on a dime on my Korg Prophecy, but the thing is if you want 303 sounding patterns you need the sequencer. And the only way you're gonna get that is if you have a real TB-303 or ReBirth or some good analogue type sequencer which can handle a good portamento and velocity changes. I've used Seq-303 but it's not the greatest for the slides and such...depends on the patch you're using.

Message 6/75             04-May-00  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

schlutz

fuck no,,, noone can replace the 303. it is my baby and i molest it everynight. if youre asking what is so good about the 303, think why there is a whole hundreds of web sites dedicated to this little engineering MASTERPIECE! It is the shit... acid or no acid on the brain, this thing can make you feel diagonal at the best of times

Message 7/75             08-May-00  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Link?: Link

Hey guys,

I just found this board. I started making electronic music a few months ago, not knowing what the heck I was doing (hell...I still don't), and I came upon the 303 stuff.

The 303 looks cool, but my gripe is that it sounds too dry...too mario brothers. I really dig the sound once a delay is put it, or once a background is mixed in, but otherwise, what's the big deal? There must be something I'm missing. I feel the same way about ReBirth (I have ReBirth, but no 303), it only gets going once you add a delay or something. I'd really like to get a 303 or a TR-606, but I want to be sure it's something I could actually use (and LIVE would be good). ANy help would be rad,

-Nick

Message 8/75             09-May-00  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Rebirth is good comparison, if you dislike- don't get a real 303....
Oh , I am not of the agressive type , but f%#@ng "mario brothers"?? , you must be insane !Why place that comment first and then say "I'd really like to get a 303 "? BTW ,I dislike Nintendo...

Message 9/75             09-May-00  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Link?: Link

Sorry for the Mario Brothers comment. I didn't explain it well enough. What I meant was, I've heard some dry TB-303 lines, set at factory original (like the "Acoustic Bass" setting), and not tweaked at all, left at a boring loop. This reminded me of Mario Bros. However, I really do love the 303's sound, and now that I'm aware of its uniqueness, I'm noticing it in a lot of old songs. Prodigy's stuff, for one.

I have a few more questions, and they're going to sound very ignorant, and newbie. They are, but please don't flame me  

Sync24 referrs to a system whereby all the MIDI instruments are performing on the same beat, correct (like it works in ReBirth)? Is it also called the "MIDI clock?"

Is there a mixer out there with built-in effects? Do most mixers operate on Sync24?

Would a typical setup for an electronic artist be: Mixer, 1-2 Synths, 1-2 Drumsmachines, Groovebox, 1-2 Bassline, Effects processors?

I'm really trying to get a feel for how I should jump into this. I've just dipped my feet into this vast pool, check out my stuff if you want to know exactly how newbie I am (don't flame me for that either, please)! Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

-Nick

Message 10/75             10-May-00  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

The Mario thingy I understand now somewhat ;)....
To sync you'll probably need a additional box, I use a Phillip Rees sync24 with a midi thru, works well for me.There are numerous.(Kenton has many different models aswell.
Nice thing if you have no drumcomputer yet you might wanna look into a Novation drumstation V2 , it contains a syncing facility on-board.
I know of no mixers with this possibilty intergrated , but there're probably out there ,somewhere....
The setup you mention is ,globaly ,quite complete , I do with much less. A sampler would be nice , it's the only thing next to a hardware sequencer I myself am missing.

Hope this helps,
-M-

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)