aaa MS-2000 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MS-2000

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             24-Feb-00  @  12:42 PM   -   MS-2000

ezra

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anyone have any info on these things? does it really sound at all the the ms-10/20/50? I was going to get an MS-20 to do mr. oizo style bass, but the only one I found at a reasonable price flaked. so im thinking maybe VA is the way to go (midi > CV). I listened to the demo sounds on harmony-central.com and they all sounded a little weak, but hey, they are demo songs so...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             25-Feb-00  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

gringuinho

Is it just me or does the MS-2000 seem a little weak? Especially considering the price and the competition in that price range (Virus, Microwave XT, NordRack etc)... i mean, 4 voices? 2 multi? Maybe I'm just missing something... What i would REALLY like to see from korg is a rack mount prophecy with multitimbral/polyphonic capabilities, so i guess in effect a rackmount Z1...

Message 3/21             28-Feb-00  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: MS-2000

k

i dunno... i think they have been clever, there is lots of multi-synths out there in modelling and other-land... but i think the ms20000 tries to be more a supplier of pattern creating sources and sacrifices poly for that... alot of the unit is geared to make it a great arp/pattern based synth etc... shure, 4 more notes would have been nice tho...but you can guaratee next NAMM, there will be an MS5000 which'll be 8 note poly and 4 part multi.. etc etc... anyways, i like it, but it does have very stiff competition from Quasimidi, Novation, Waldorf etc...

Message 4/21             29-Feb-00  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

oxtragon

in sweden itīs been out for a month or so and i am not impressed at all. sure it has some quality sounds but it lack of individuality and edge. i use a microwave xt and nordlead 2 and both kick the living sh** out of the ms2000! the ms2000 does not sound at all like the old 10,20,500 analogue series. it seems like itīs more aimed to compete with the supernova or q - warm and lush. but it doesnīt stand a chance here either.

to be honest iīm not sure what korg was thinking when they released this unit. i meen itīs not like itīs useless, itīs just that itīs a couple of years to late to be really interesting. iīd personally buy an ea-1 over the ms2000. but my next investment will probably be a q rack.

Message 5/21             29-Feb-00  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

oxtragon

oops, seems like korg is going to have to make a ms5000 to make up for my bad spelling. ofcourse i mean the ms50!  

Message 6/21             01-Mar-00  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

ezra

too bad. I guess I will go with a used Virus a then, same price range, and that just seems like the way to go. thanks for your help.

Message 7/21             02-Mar-00  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: MS-2000

Kissen

yeah... 4-note poly for that price would have been nice in the mid 90's to compete with the Nordlead 1... but come on.. this is year 2000!

Message 8/21             06-Mar-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

martijn.as

For your info Ezra, you won't need a midi to cv converter for the ms20 to respond to midi NOTE informartion. It can be controlled with control voltages. And what can you use as a control voltage? Just a very basic saw wave which comes out of every synth. I am using one of the outputs of my 1080 to control the ms20. It reponds to pitch and velocity. And it works damn fine. Only if you also want to control the cutoff and whatsoever as well you need an extra converter. Hope you find this info usefull, Greetings Martijn

Message 9/21             16-Mar-00  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: MS-2000

rak3889

Um, am I missing something. You people are saying this VA is in price league with the Virus, but it looks like the rack mount version will go street price in the US for about mid $600. I don't put this thing in league with the XT, Q, Virus, Supernova, or any other va flagship. I get the impression the MS2000 is more for people like me who don't have the $ for a big VA and this is like a "My first VA". I think if you look at it that way it's a damn good buy, just like the tribes are.
~Rob

Message 10/21             22-Mar-00  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: MS-2000

ezra

Finally played with the MS-2000. Good news is that it is ALOT cheaper then it was supposed to be. At my local MARS they have the KBD for $899 (dunno about the rack, they didnt have it). Bad news is that the sounds (at least the presets) suck. Sounds real weak, lacking in depth. It sounds more like a cheap rompler then a VA. The knobs have the same feel as the knobs on my CS2X (thats bad) and they are half the size (itty bitty). Over all I give it a 4/10 (and 2 points are for appearence). It is quite possible that this is like the AN1X where the presets suck ass, but its actually a very powerful synth, but from what I have heard I would get something else. Maybe the electribe (same synth engine), and overall the same sound.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)