aaa Trading in for a nord modular? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Trading in for a nord modular?

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             29-Aug-00  @  04:38 AM   -   Trading in for a nord modular?

syrusate

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok i have recently bought a korg ms2000 rack, i know that doesnt belong here, but my idea was to sell it and gor for the nord modular.
I have no place where i live to test it out. Basically im unhappy with the ms2000, it sounds good in the store but next to my other gear it sounds like a toy. I have my access virus for pads and such, i mainly want a synth that will be unique, do weird sounds and noises, and be easy to make patches, im tired of menus. Ive read up alot of the modular and im stoked what this machine can do, im also tired of selling synths. My main thing is the modular great for creative people who want something different? thanks

syrusate

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             30-Aug-00  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

jere00001

Link?:  Link

I have the mod keyboard.It kicks ass. All hands downs.It has just crazy programable knobs. I am working on a patch where it wont make the same sound for like two to three days. It also has voice synthisis.So I have patches that say "clavia","I love you" and "I love you baby",I am sure that there is more.
I would recomend getting the keyboard or the rack,if you have the cash.I am sure that the sounds will be better than the ms2000,but then I dont own a ms2000. cheers -jeRe DoLL

Message 3/11             30-Aug-00  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

formant

hey, i love the modular so much i am selling my micro and getting the big daddy one...

however, there may be some overlap on the sounds of the virus and nord as far as analogish stuff goes.

you can't go wrong buying a modular but i would strongly recommend you play a microwave xt before you commit.

you could always go back later and buy a micromodular if you want to experiment.

jamey

Message 4/11             30-Aug-00  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

syrusate

so you think having the virus and nord modular would be overkill?
The microwave xt would fit better? I pretty uch make, idm, noise, ambient, drum n bass, and trip hop. So i want a keyboard that is flexible enought to cover that ground. You cant have too much analog, but also i dont want sounds to get muddled either.

syrusate

Message 5/11             31-Aug-00  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

formant

no don't get me wrong, the virus and nord should each sit fine together in a mix...

i was simply suggesting the XT because it doesn't sound like any other synth really although it can do a lot of the same sounds.

i don't own an XT but my friend has one and i am envious :-)

jamey

Message 6/11             31-Aug-00  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

phunkytek

The sounds created with the modular are great, but the patch changes pause the system so no changes during a live performance would be permited while other patches are in use. It's not an issue if your not makeing patch changes while the sequencer is playing another modular patch. If you realy want weird, a sampler can do the strangest, and your only limited to your imagination. Sample a noise. Run it through fx, and mangel it, then find loop points and create an envelop, then layer it with other sounds and create morphs. As for the xt, I don't particularly like the way it sounds with my modeled analog gear. When i use it I tend to prefer my e-6400 patches of sampled synths, with my 101 or juno on the bass end. It sounds really hollow, and a lot of the alaising that gives the xt character is buried by the powerful sounds of the modeled synths. I sent my modular back because of the patch alocation pause, but i believe it would have sounded great with an xt, because it can sound more analog when dry than any of the other modeled synths. The modular is a great studio controler, and a powerful design tool for sound fx, and vintage stuff. I wish I had kept it , but it was it or the xt,I already own a half dozen analogs and so I settled with the xt.

Message 7/11             01-Sep-00  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

syrusate

I think i ve decided to get the nord lead 2, when i get rid of my ms2000, i like the modular, but im sure that the nord lead2 will be fine. i played the xt and didnt like it at all. i just want a keyboard that can some unique sounds not necessarily weird, a sampler can do that, so the nord lead 2 seems to be a good buy, and it even has a nice little spot on it to rest my access virus.

syrusate

Message 8/11             01-Sep-00  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

99devils

I'd hold on that, mate. I've got a Nord I and a Virus and I'll tell you this: The Virus has more potential to be whacked-out than the Nord does. There's simply more to work with (2 filters, more LFO routing, mod matrix, FX on the Bs). If you're looking to do sounds that are wierder than what you can get out of a Virus don't buy a Nord Lead.

The modular will allow you to get more whacky than the NL2 or Virus, but it will still be analog-sounding. If you're looking for something completely different, may I suggest the following beasts:

Yamaha FS1R (or any other Yammy FM)
Kurzweil K2000 (mangle sample and dsp based waves to hell)
Kawai K5000 (Sounds awesome, but is a bitch to program)

and I recommend you take a second look at the XT. If you played with the presets in the store, you will not be impressed. It's presets are designed to appeal to middle-of-the-road type users, with lots of crappy analog emulations and whatnot. It excels more at dirt, hard clangy digital foo, stuff like that. Dig in.

The Virus and Nord do sit well together in a mix, and compliment each other very well, but they do sound very similar.

-Craig

Message 9/11             01-Sep-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

syrusate

I was thinking of keeping the weird up to, a sampler, maybe a yamaha a3000. And then get the nord to o leads and stuff, but if it sounds too close to the virus that may be a problem, i tried the fs1r, dont like the guy i made music with has one, we dont use it at all, and the k2000, and k5000 arent they way too exspensive, its gonna be a struggle for me to get the nord lead 2. so far i have a rm1x, access virus b, yamaha cs6x rack is next, and then im gonna need a keyboard, thats why i was thinking of the nord lead 2, the nord modular would be cool but as my main keyboard i think its too small.

syrusate

Message 10/11             04-Sep-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

phunkytek

Does'nt the cs6x have a sampler in it? How functional at editing is it? You could edit using plugins like vocoders, or flange, on a program like wavelab, and export to the cs6x and come up with somer great layers played back through the synths fx and filters. It depends on how the cs6x handles samples. If this would work, just buy a cs6x keyboard. On the other hand, if you have enough to buy a cs6x, and a nord lead2, just buy the Emu e-synth or the k2500 instead. You would'nt need a cs6x, or the nord given your current kit with either one of those monsters.At some point you have to have a power sampler, it is that simple! It would be the best investment in your kit by far. With a sampler synth like the emu, and k2500,2000, the only limit is your imagination and creativity.

Message 11/11             24-Sep-00  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: Trading in for a nord modular?

GT

dud3, i have the keybOaRD moD and the NL2 rack...get the Mod...alot more flexible guy.

GT

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)