aaa Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             04-Sep-00  @  09:30 PM   -   Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

syrusate

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok ive decided to get either the waldorf microwave xtk or the nord lead 2. Many people have said that the nord will not be necessary since i have the access virus. I keep getting referrals for the waldorf. Even the music store i called said the waldorf was cool, I need a keyboard so one of these will be it, one with its own unique sound, and one that will fit in with my current setup , which includes, yamaha rm1x, access virus b, yamaha a3000.
So overall whixh one should i try out,
which one
has better filters?
better sound creation and editing?
can do other sounds besides analog emulations?
can do evolving pads?
has the least os bugs?
would make a great control synth?
ive heard killer stuff about both and am very curious about both, its kind of a hard choice, but i dont wanna go and order another synth and be unhappy, ive heard some online demos just to give me a idea but those usually dont show the power of the machine. Ive also tried to find these synths at music stores locally but the closest one is 8 hours away and theres no way can get there. so i have to just order it and see. thanks again for everyones help. this is the best site for tech support and all around music knowledge.

syrusate

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             04-Sep-00  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

subzeroX

Link?:  Link

now ill b as truthful as i can in all honestly i reckon u should go for the nord as its very easy to program n get yorue head around n its versitlility is amazing and the waldorf is yet another amazing machine but its supposidly seriously hard to program i had a go on one for a few hours n i wasent toooooo impressed so go for the big red machine

Message 3/11             05-Sep-00  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

99devils

I'll cast the dissenting opinion. You've got a VA already, and a damn good one. I kind of fell into my Nord Lead/Virus combination, and I'm happy I have it, but if I was going to go out and buy these boxes brand new, I would _not_ buy both.

On the other hand the XT is great at dirt, harsh digital stuff, long evolving pads... The weakest link in your chain IMHO (except for no sampler) is that you're missing out in these areas.

I'm not saying the Nord's a bad board, or that it's inferior to the Virus, but I think you'd be better off filling more holes in your setup than just a set of keys. You could buy a Fatar for that and pocket $800.

-Craig

Message 4/11             06-Sep-00  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

syrusate

So 99devils, what is the link in my chain that is weak? i do have a sampler. Am i missing the harsh digital, and evolving pads?
True i do need a keyboard, and also would like some more sounds, and im digging all what i hear from the nord and the xtk, so aside from the keyboard part of both, sounds wise which would fill all the holes i currently have? Ive checked into many other keyboards, and these are really the only two that impress me right now. The specs on both boards are great, i also dont know if i could get into wavetable synthesis, is it really hard? I found a place online that has the nord lead 2, for $1195.00 brand new, so that is also a bonus there, but when it comes down to it, the price of either doesnt matter as long as the one i buy is going to be needed more, used more, and like you said " fills in the holes more":

syrusate

Message 5/11             06-Sep-00  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

99devils

Well, that's basically what I'm saying... Find one you'll get more use out of, otherwise you're best off just buying a controller and saving money.

I don't know what style you're working in, but offhand you're missing an FM synth, and unless you've got some sample CDs, then you're probably also weak on the real instruments. A good, solid ROMpler like a Trinity or XP-80 would help you there. An XTk isn't like anything else you have, so I'd say that's an option too. Also the Kawai K5000 makes an awesome controller and sounds like nothing else on this earth, for about $500 (difficult to program though).

What kind of work do you do? Is there anyplace that I can hear your tracks?

-Craig

Message 6/11             07-Sep-00  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

syrusate

No none of my stuff is on the net yet, im not happy enough with it to release it. I mainly make Drum N bass, ambient, industrial, trip hop. Stuff like that.
So what your saying is if i got the nord it would be cool but wouldnt fill any holes since i already have the virus? I did have a emu proteus 2000 for all the real instruments, but i didnt like it. basically if i did want to use some real stuff i could just pop it in the sampler.
And Fm i could do that as well. Ive been thinking about it. and what if i just got the yamaha cs6x keyboard, and maybe a nord micro modular? i do want a well rounded studio and the ability to freely do many things, no point in having too many machines that basicaaly do the same thing, would the waldorf xtk be something that would fit in well? and then maybe stick the rest in the sampler?
Im not real big on reeds, and organs, and winds and stuff, so the only real sounds i would use would be drums, and pianos, no point in buying a rompler for just that, thats why i sold the proteus 2000.
any more ideas? im getting lost now.

Message 7/11             07-Sep-00  @  04:42 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

syrusate

Ok sorry about so many posts here, i just wanna get this over with, after much research and what youve been helping me on, ive made it easier. I do have the virus to analog type stuff, but i dont want just the viurs for that another synth would be cool, hence the xtk or nord lead. And a rackmount that other sounds besides analog would be great, and whataver is left goes into the sampler. So after that figured out, i do need a keyboard and the coices are between the Nord Lead 2, waldorf xtk, or maybe the yamaha cs6x. and for the rackmounts, the cs6x rack, or maybe the emu xtreme lead, that seems like a cool machine, but i did hate the proteus. So i want a keyboard, mainly analog type, and a rackmount, to fill the holes you were talking about, which i also have the sampler for that as well. Im kinda sketchy on romplers tho, i dont wanna use sounds everyone else will be using, so editing must be there. so im dont with this post, have at thee

nathan

Message 8/11             07-Sep-00  @  08:52 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

99devils

Well the CS6x is a good ROMpler, and it takes expansion cards, so you could get FM synthesis or an AN1X card... As far as XTk vs. Nord Lead, do you want another analog? Their voices are different, different characters, but they both still sound like an analog synth.

It's going to be up to you... If you're into ambient/industrial type stuff though I'd say you have to sit down with an XT.

-Craig

Message 9/11             28-Sep-00  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

tetsuo2

my 2 cents...

I recently bought the xtk to patch that "so called hole" .. two weeks later i traded it for a nordlead2. And ya know what? i fell in love with it... the nord gets cooler everyday.. You can have pretty much any sound ya want in seconds...

Message 10/11             28-Sep-00  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

99devils

The NL is great for immediate gratification. It doesn't really sound anything like an XT, though. You have to know what you want, I suppose. Do you need another analog/VA, or do you want something that sounds and works differently? If you just want analog, it's hard to fault a Nord. I think it's got the purest sound in terms of "analog emulation", and the interface is very analog, as opposed to the Virus where you have menus and can program things which were impossible on vintage analog.

-Craig

Message 11/11             01-Oct-00  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: Nord lead 2 or waldorf mw xtk?

r-tek

to tell the truth, I`ve gotten sick of my mw1. Not that it isn`t a fantastic machine capable of all these unique, incredible textures but it gets so damn annoying when you`ve got an idea you want to get down and you havta deal with *that* interface, knob box or nay, it gets fecking annoying. I only really use synths to provide me with basic tones so I can mash em up in the smapler so I`mma thinking of trading her in for a nord1. I want simplicity dammit. The xt *does* have a far superior interface by I just want something simple, I`ll keep my tx for digital weirdness.

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)