aaa Micro Modular info - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Micro Modular info

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             30-Jul-00  @  11:22 AM   -   Micro Modular info

inge_andre

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking to buy a new synth and have pretty much decided what to buy. But before I go out and get it I need some info:

Is the Micro Modular the "micro" version of Nord Modular? Will it give me Mac software to add/remove modules on my computer?
And also, does it have an audio in connector allowing me to process external audio?

I originally checked out the Nord Modular but it is way out of my budget since I also need a new controller keyboard.

Any replies would be greatly apreciated. Thanx!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             30-Jul-00  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

formant

Link?:  Link

hey, had a micro for about a year now...

you can expect to get 2-3 voice polyphony on just about any but the sickest patches you build.

only one part multi-timbral

yes, it has stereo inputs

yes, the patch editing software works on mac now (i am pc)

the thing is flat out amazing and i use it so much that i am thinking of dumping it and getting the bigger one... maybe two of the micros? :-)

it will go nicely with whatever you buy.

later
jamey

Message 3/12             31-Jul-00  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

phunkytek

I had a modular, and sent it back because the sound would pause on the synth when ever a program change is recieved. It has to realocate system resources. I loved the sound, but I'm doing live sequencing and I can't have pauses everytime a patch is loaded. it would be expected on the part being changed, but not the others three as well. it did do analog better than any of the other modeled synths I've demoed. I'm going to wait for the Modular 2 . If they beef up the synths engine to handle reverb and delay modules, and fix the interuption during patch changes, i will buy one!

Message 4/12             31-Jul-00  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

inge_andre

Thanks guys.

Sounds a bit limiting, 2-3 voice polyphony. But how does that work? Hold down a chord and it's all eaten up?
1 part multi doesn't worry me too much, it's not going to be main main synth. But it would be nice to get more than leads and basses out of it.

Message 5/12             31-Jul-00  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

formant

you can pretty much count on 2-3 voices as the standard... i never use it for chords at all, just basses, sweeps, leads, and wierd noises....

the big one has 4x the number of dsp chips you you can count on 2-3 voices per chip (8-12) divided however you like among 4 part multi-timbral. you can also expand the full modular (not the micro) to double the polyphony for about 300 bucks or so.

i never worry about program changes cuz i never do them during a song.

keep in mind while the micro does wonderful chorus, phasing, filtering and distortion there is no way to do reverb or delay on board at all so that will have to be outboard.

it is not bad for ~500 though

later
jamey

Message 6/12             31-Jul-00  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

inge_andre

After reading your messages I find I'm not so keen on this machine after all. I'm really after something (not too expensive) that can give me analog-style pads. I have an Electribe A for basses, leads and weird effects, tho I'm not really happy with its filters (As I turn up the resonance the bottom end disappears. I guess I'm going to do some research on alternatives on the web, and make do with Retro for a little longer.

Thanks for your info. You probably prevented me from making a mistake there...

Message 7/12             31-Jul-00  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

phunkytek

for five hundred your not going to fing many synths that can do the kind stuff you want. You might think a about a juno-106.All the "analog style" pads can get.It does great pads and is very programable and easy to use. I use mine all the time. I do want to say the modular is one of the best synths out sound wise. You can make drones and strange sweeps that no analog modeling synth can come close to. It will also do bass sounds that a korg electribe couldn't even think of, as well as sound like your electribe. Plus it has vocoding, flanging, anfd the digitizer effect. You can sequence into a sequencer mudule and play them back in sync with midi clock, like an arpegiator. Now you have the pro's and con's good luck.

Message 8/12             01-Aug-00  @  08:29 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

inge_andre

Thank you all for your info. However I just got some money back from the tax office, so with a little bit of saving up, I'll be able to get the full Nord Modular in a month or so. Bye for now.

Message 9/12             01-Aug-00  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

formant

now that's a good decision :-)

Message 10/12             02-Oct-00  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

the_silver_fox

I've been wanting to get hold of a Sherman filterbank for a while now to get some nice dirty, f*cked up sounds for my techno. However someone has suggested a micro modular (I believe they're now about the same price in the UK). I know it'd be a 'more for your money' buy to get the micro but could anyone give me some info or opinions in the filter section of the micro (if possible in comparison with the Sherman)???
Also any opinions as to how it works realtime with PC resources (I have a PII 266 with 160Mb RAM)
Cheers lads and lasses!!

Message 11/12             02-Oct-00  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

oldskool

The filter is very good on the Micro as you can configure it how you want, there are lots of types and many combinations, I would say it is way more flexible (even just as a squelchbox) than the sherman but perhaps not quite as raw sounding. It will work fine wit your PC.

Message 12/12             09-Oct-00  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: Micro Modular info

H

i playd w/ my friend's when he got it and it was pretty cool although I did notice a little zipper noise when tweaking at a high rate of speed.My friend was convinced he was the next kraftwerk(yeah right) when he bought it and started playing w/ the arp.I just don't like the idea of having to be near a computer just to edit though.but I did download the software and was impressed by it's design and flexibility 

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)