aaa Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             06-Sep-00  @  03:39 PM   -   Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

zilch

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This is regarding the Supernova 2 (KBD).

I have found 2 bugs (?). I have two cubase 3.x .all files
that very easily shows the problems (a very detailed descripton is in
the cubase "notepad").

The first bug has to do with the supernova II "detuning a bit" when another
part is playing very rapidly (a hihat CHI CHI CHI CHI C-C-C-CHI, and
detuning a bassline at the end of this seuence). It really disturbs me.

The second bug is that the midi-sequencer is sending a C3-NOTE-OFF that is
turning off not the correct note but another note that has just begun playing.
(It works if a put the notes not C3-C3-C3-C3 but C3-D3-E3-D3 (well maybe you
get what it is about anyway   ).

Please anyone, check it out (mail me and i'll send you the files).

Thank you!

/Daniel Åkerud, zilch@home.se

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             06-Sep-00  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

zilch

I would like to point out that this is still happening in the newly released OS1.3.

Message 3/12             06-Sep-00  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

batcrack

ive actually noticed this on my original SN, I left an arp pattern to run and I had to take a big shit, i was on the pot for 45 minutes (goddamn quesadilas) and when I got back in the studio, the tune on my SN (it was one of the 303-type emulations) the pitch had changed so much it sounded like I was playing up at like C6 or something! It was really wierd, then I just changed programs and back again, and it was fine... so strange. I wonder if a lot of synths do that.

Message 4/12             07-Sep-00  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

Phill

I have not noticed any problem with detuning as described. Does this only occur with one of your sequences?
If so it could be a problem with the sequence.

The second problem is actually a problem with all sequencers and not the Supernova. If you have a Machine gun snare roll, i.e. 16th duration notes, playing in 16ths on the same note you would expect a midi signal of note on, note off, note on, note off etc etc. Because the note ons and offs are almost in the same place the sequencer occaisionally gets the order wrond and you get the note off just after the note on. This causes a missing note in the roll.

Samplers have this option to "play sample till end". This essentially is an "Ignore note off" command. This is not easy to do in a synth as there is no sample with a finite length.

A fix is to make the duration of the note smaller so the note ons & offs are not so close to gether, for example in the 16th snare roll described make the duration 32nds or similar.

We are currently investigating the best way around this. I would like to point out however that if the sequencer only sent the data in the correct order this would not be a problem.

Message 5/12             07-Sep-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

zilch

Phill,
I have answered to this on the nova list.

BatCrack,
I don't think we have the same problem...
My detuning is very temporary just when the
hihats play rapidly.

Thanks!

Message 6/12             11-Sep-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

psylichon

zilch,

As to the detuning problem, are you sure you're not sending Controller #11 (expression) to your bass track somehow? This controls osc1 tuning and can do what you described. Not sure how it would be related to the hihat speed, unless it's a musical correlation...?

good luck with it

psylichon

Message 7/12             11-Sep-00  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

zilch

If so, then it would anyway come out on track 2 (The bass-line is on track 1).
It sounds like the supernova somehow can't cope with the speed of the hihats and the Bass has to suffer... no... I have not put _any_ controller msg's in the project...

Thanks for the tip!

Message 8/12             11-Sep-00  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

SPiKE

I think I must be one of the first in UK to have received my SII Rack.

This bug may be fixed by the New OS (which I will try and load tonight) but this is the problem:

Switch the unit on and the LCD doesn't light up - just a couple of LEDs. No response from pushing buttons/playing controller keyboard etc. Switch off and switch on again, problem solved. Weird.

Very impressed otherwise.

SPiKE

Message 9/12             12-Sep-00  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

jon.s

ok, had a few problems i've now noted and need clarifying.

1. name a performance (noticed tonight) - toggle between other performances and the name carries between them all (like they're all named the same). power off and everything ok again. this is temporamental.

2. the local off/arp bug - mentioned previously which phil is addressing.

3. stuck notes - temporamental again but cannot figure why. have tried every midi configauration. local on or off. eg. performance with prog a35 assigned to channel 12 will result in a stuck note if you play the key long and hard.

4. notes cancelling each other out - not sure about this but it appears to be in line with what's mentioned above.

i must admit i'm finding it very hard now to make any headway in performance mode other than play with the (lovely) presets. it appears in program mode everything is fine but i'm no live player and unfortunately my proceedings are grinding to a halt.

the main problem is these 'problems' crop up frequently but infrequently if you get my drift thus making it difficult to pin point problems without doubting yourself (ie. many midi checks).

as people are now receiving they're snIIs please confirm to this list any anomolies like mentioned above or i may lose my sanity.

many thanks

jon.

Message 10/12             13-Sep-00  @  03:32 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

Phill

Jon S
1 is user error...local is off. The number will change indicating txed prog change but the name will not change if the message was no RX'ed.

2 we are working on that

3/4 weird...I have never had this problem. what os are you running? can you send us a sequence that shows this?

Message 11/12             13-Sep-00  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

jon.s

i'm only running os 1.0 so i'll upgrade tomorrow (very busy at the moment which is frustrating) and report back.

does the new os just add new features as mentioned or does it actually stabilise the system more?

many thanks

jon.

Message 12/12             13-Sep-00  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: Supernova II (KBD) bugs? Please look.

Phill

Please read the thread announcing the release for details of what it contains.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)