aaa how hot is your virus? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: how hot is your virus?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             21-Nov-00  @  01:08 AM   -   how hot is your virus?

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

wanted to know how hot your virus gets after around an hour of operation... mine gets _quite_ warm, just wondering if i should look for a new power supply (any 120V@60Hz AC->12V@1A DC will work, right?). just wondering cause it glitched for the first time (screen blanked, heard some white noise... after a few off/ons and more glitches it seems to be working again... kinda scary)

thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             21-Nov-00  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

99devils

Mine doesn't get hot at all. Is yours racked? What kind of rack? What else is it by?

-Craig

Message 3/13             21-Nov-00  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

swanofnever

nope, just sitting on a shelf on an a-frame, all by itself.

the part that heats up is (surprise!) from the rear right corner, about 6'' left and 3'' down or so (i.e that's the area that gets warm)... basically around the power input.

so i'm not just paranoid. crap.

the reason i asked about the power supply is that on mine the cord from ac/dc box to virus is "loose" (i.e where it meets the box it _should_ be anchored (little plastic pyramid-thing) but appears to have popped out). haven't opened up the ac/dc box yet to see if there are any probs in there... any similar spec'd power supply should work, right?

anyway, i bought it used from a fairly big name (okay, a fairly big name in canadian experimental/minimal techno) and the guy _seemed_ totally cool, he's started up a label and chatted a bit with me, etc... of course i'm a trusting sucker, but i still don't think that there's anything wrong with the virus (this is the first prob. i've had). i'm guessing it's the power supply... damn, now i'm scared to turn it on again (since it's not supposed to get hot).

PLEASE HELP!!! i NEED this thing!

i honestly couldn't sleep last night... goddamnit, it's changed my life.

anyway, if someone could tell me about using a generic power supply, please, please do.

and thanks again.

Message 4/13             22-Nov-00  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

swanofnever

um...

so yours doesn't get warm at ALL around the power in?

Message 5/13             22-Nov-00  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

99devils

It was on a good 45 minutes when I
replied... I'll test it out this
weekend after it's been on for a while
and let you know... One thing it could
be though is that my Virus is racked in
a studio rack with no enclosure - it's
basically just rails... So there's
nothing to stop heat dissipation. It
may indeed get warm if it's sitting on a
table...

-Craig

Message 6/13             24-Nov-00  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

influx

Link?:  Link

dont think mine gets all that hot but it glitches every once in a while. just quits. no sound no mas. turn it off and on and its ok. usually happens a couple times a session. arg

Message 7/13             25-Nov-00  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

99devils

Mine has been a rock. Honestly. The most trouble free piece of gear in my studio.

-Craig

Message 8/13             26-Nov-00  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

trypt

Mine gets hot but only after 3-4
hours. Part of it's back panel and on
the bottom the 3 inches close to the
back get it. I've never worried about it
though. It's not supposed to happen
but I'm convinced it won't hurt it. Am i
wrong?

Message 9/13             27-Nov-00  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

99devils

OK guys... My Virus was on for 3 or 4
hours yesterday and not a hint of heat
coming from it. At all.

What this means, I don't know  

-Craig

Message 10/13             27-Nov-00  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

Rude Bwoy

Errr Richie Hawtin?

Message 11/13             28-Nov-00  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

swanofnever

RB -- i wish, it was someone from montreal, started intr_version records.

well, mine gets hot after an hour or so... well, maybe two, max. so what's the deal? do we all have As here?

so either we've all got something wrong or it's only 99devils. though something not getting hot and not crashing's probably not such a problem.

hmmm....

Message 12/13             06-Dec-00  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

metaphy99

Hey, I've had my virus kb 0n for up to 2 days not a hint of heat. I may get an occasional howl(weird stuck note?) when I'm maxing out with cubase, other than that, considering all the sys ex stuff I do with it, everything is good.

Evar

Message 13/13             06-Dec-00  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: how hot is your virus?

99devils

I'm on an A

-Craig

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)