aaa midi problems i think?? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: midi problems i think??

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             25-Aug-00  @  06:37 AM   -   midi problems i think??

jordonfreightltd

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i love my sn2 but it's causing me a little trouble and i need some help.

first, i can now record in realtime arpegiator events through a mix of local on/off and cubase thru on/off but on occasions no key presses will be detected. i haven't changed anything or done anything different, it just happens and no sound is evident when i try to arpegiatte. is this midi congestion??

second, if i record drums, sometimes every other note on is not registered in cubase. pressing a key will not show on the midi in bar in cubase every time, what could be the problem??

i'm sure it's a midi thing but i've tried everything i can think of. any ideas welcome

thanx

jon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             25-Aug-00  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

haz

hi,

i just got my sn2 pro x yesterday - this thing is nothing short of *awesome*. i love it! well done novation - i'm in synth heaven.

after messing around with it for a while, i too have noticed something a little strange when using it with a sequencer (cakewalk in my case) and the local parameter is set to off. what seems to be happening is this...the keyboard stops transmitting midi note data as soon as you switch the arp on for a part, regardless of whether the midi clock sync is internal or external... this means, when the local switch is off, you can't play an arp in real time if you're using the sequencer to echo note data back. to get around this particular problem i record a part into cakewalk first (e.g. a series of chords) and then switch the arp on afterwards, the part will be arpeggiated as expected when a play back the sequence.

could this be the same problem you are experiencing? if you're using local off, just make sure when you want to record something that the current part selected doesn't have the arp switched on.

regards
haz

Message 3/14             25-Aug-00  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jordonfreightltd

haz, glad you like your sn2 too, i'll check what you mention tonight.

ot, does anyone know why i have to scroll across the messages in this forum and can only print what i see, sorry if this is a dumb question.

bfn

jon

Message 4/14             25-Aug-00  @  11:03 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jordonfreightltd

just read your message again haz, now i'm thinking, this isn't right if you have to work round it.

so does anyone else understand the problems here or can offer an explanation because i'm sure i must be missing something somewhere.

jon

Message 5/14             25-Aug-00  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

Stefan

Link?: Link

In terms of the arp problem:
Check the Arp out settings of the Supernova. The arp out can be set to internal, midi or internal + midi.
Setting the arp out to midi may cause a midi loop.

This problem has been discussed in a former thread "Nova arp out". You'll find it if you display the messages of the last 90 days.

Regards

Message 6/14             25-Aug-00  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

haz

no, this isn't the problem i'm having. i understand you can change the settings for whether the notes generated by the arp are transmitted out via MIDI or not.

the problem i'm having is simply this - when local is off and you have a part in performance mode with the arp switched on, then the SN2 keyboard no longer transmits the notes you are actually PLAYING on the keyboard - not quite the same thing. this means you can't play any arped parts live when local is off and you have a MIDI loop in place with your computer...not sure if this is a bug or if it is by design. perhaps phill will enlighten us?

haz

Message 7/14             26-Aug-00  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jordonfreightltd

haz, i have the same problem. i have managed to get the sn2 to arpeggiate live but it then locks up with what seems to be a midi jam of some sort.

i am working round it but as this is my first controller kb in 10 years (old un-midi friendly jx10 b4) i'm not sure whether i am missing something really important to facilitate what i want.

it was mentioned in a previous thread related (but not) to this that why should someone want to arpegiatte 'live'. well, it's just a way of trying out things on the fly and a great source of inspiration. i thought it was the norm. playing a chord into the sequencer beforehand can be a bit restrictive in certain circumstances.

anyway, i await.

cheers

jon

Message 8/14             31-Aug-00  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jon.s

ok, i need more help please with the sn2 midi.

my sequencer, cubase, is not receiving midi data from the sn2 whilst in performance mode. i switch to program and cubase will receive data in and push it out no problem.

what can be the problem? i've tried to solve this myself but unfortunately can't. every now and again the sequencer will pick up me hitting the keys (damn hard too) but will not forward the data to the out.

this only happens in performance mode so what have i done wrong. i'm sure this didn't happen when i first got it.

it seems the keyboard is detached but i've made all the usual checks. feel free to treat me like an idiot though as i need it solved.

ps. i cannot trigger any other midi devices on their respective channels either but have done previously. this has only happened in the last week.

thanx for any help

jon.

Message 9/14             01-Sep-00  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

Phill

There is a small bug in the MIDI implementation when in performance mode.

Basically no note info is transmitted.

Sorry about that. There will be a fix in a new OS to be released soon.

Cheers.
Phill

Message 10/14             01-Sep-00  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

chris

Link?: Link

"Sorry about that. There will be a fix in a new OS to be released soon. "

Ah - maybe that's what's causing the delay on the OS for the original SN!?

;o)

Trying to decide whether to upgrade to SNII rack when it appears - anyone know if the sounds will be transportable?

Message 11/14             04-Sep-00  @  05:57 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jon.s

thanks phil for advising. isn't this a rather fundamental problem (and not small)??

i can live with this for the moment in the knowledge that you can confirm that this problem IS causing what i describe. it seems it should be the case but i need an authorative view.

anyhow, i cannot use the snII as i please for this reason so please do hurry up with this 'fix' as i can't stand looking at this monster synth and not being able to use it how i wish.

thanx

jon.

Message 12/14             04-Sep-00  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

Phill

The problem mentioned only occurs when local control is set to off. Simply turning it back on will cure the problem.

Sounds from SNV1 can be loaded into the SNVII & NOVAII series.

Phill

Message 13/14             04-Sep-00  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

jon.s.

yeah, that's it. obviosuly used in a multi-timbral set-up this is causing headaches.

when do you expect revised os to cure this??

Message 14/14             04-Sep-00  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: midi problems i think??

Phill

I will advise.

Cheers,
Phill

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)