aaa Nova bugs - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova bugs

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             28-Sep-00  @  10:57 AM   -   Nova bugs

iainofarrell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

I've just purchased a Nova and have discovered a bug or maybe a fault with my machine.
When in performance mode set up a part which sustains ( try Sintillator ) to polyphony: off.
From performance mode hit the demo/finder button with that part selected. As you'd expect there is no sound, because polyphony is off.
But now switch to program mode and you here the end of the demo sound which will infinitly sustain or repeat ( as is the case with the Sintillator sound).
I discovered this when in FX processor perf because all the parts are set to Polyphony : off. It is as if no end note midi message is being supplied.

I have also seen occurances of the power not coming on when switched on!!! Yes it was plugged in.
It tool a couple of attempts at switching on and off to get it going.

Other than this it's a cool machine

Cheers
Iain

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             28-Sep-00  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

zilch

ehm,
I don't know about the first thing,
but the second is (OFCOURSE!!) something really wrong with your synth and you should take it back if it is annoying...

Message 3/16             30-Sep-00  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

alish

I've discovered a new bug in the Nova: turn the power on then off, then on again for three times.
Then turn up the TV and your mobile phone.
Switch the poliphony on and off six times for part1 veri fast....incredibly you'll ear a kind of messy sound coming from your speakers, if you put a good microphone in the center of the room....

Simply said:
Is there anybody here who's trying to make music with this machine?

Message 4/16             30-Sep-00  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

Muchtaken

d0n't feel bad guy, mine shuts off inadvertantly (power supply)...but, ya, i churn choones out.

Message 5/16             02-Oct-00  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

alish

sorry....can't understand your slang

Message 6/16             03-Oct-00  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

iainofarrell

Maybe I'm been bit picky about the bugs...probably cause Im a software engineer. But yeah Ive made some cool techno grooves with the box. Need some more gear though. Perhaps a Korg Electribe. Anyone have any thoughts on good partners for the Nova.(Drum machines).

Message 7/16             03-Oct-00  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

music

Just wanna say the nova rocks for me  

Dont have any sequencing probs whatsoever cos i use a real sequencer rather that a crappy software one. Dont get me wrong, i have cubase vst 5 and vst/24 and whilst they are useful and possibly cheaper than a hardware sequencer, i am a firm beleiver that software can not and will not ever live up to the quality of the hardware equivlents.
For your info i have a Nova, Korg EA-1, Korg ER-1, Korg Triton and a Behringer Mx200 4a desk
Needless to say, i do all sequencing and control everything via the triton which does the job to perfection

Finity

Message 8/16             03-Oct-00  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

iainofarrell

Does anyone know if its cool to use supernova sound sets on the nova. First hand experience please..

Message 9/16             03-Oct-00  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

Bernd

Yesterday I bought the Nova Module and I found the Power Supply was made very poor... The synth shut down several times before I tried and opened the Power plug that fits in the Nova... There are five cables inside and they weren't soldered good enough. So I took my soldering iron and fixed the missing contacts. Adding a little contact-cleaner. Ready. It works perfectly.
Try this if you have trouble with "power failures".

Message 10/16             03-Oct-00  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Nova bugs

phunkytek

I make music with mine. No bugs.

Sustained notes are caused usualy by midi loops. If your sequencer is set to transmit on the port with the unit and you hit demo it may send midi notes out that are coming back and being transmited out again....Loop.. stuck notes

Yes snova programs work in the nova.

And lastly. I can run 128 midi tracks through 8 ports on my pc. Let's see your triton do that. Triton is a nice work station but you oviously have never really used Cubase or you would know it is 10 times as poweful as the triton for sequencing. People who like workstations usually don't do a lot of midi editing and control. Does your triton allow you to record and tranmit nprn's or create custom drum maps, or draw controler data with a mouse, or sync up and run AVI and score for film. .....??? Didn't think so!

Message 11/16             04-Oct-00  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

music

ok ok no need to get all smug about your 128 tracks  
Ok so thats a definate advantage but my preferance has always been hardware mainly because its easier to setup and fault find etc. If you wanted to control 7 synths etc via cubase you would have to own a pretty hefty midi interface and soundcard right?
Advice on what card/midi interface etc would be aprecciated just aslong as you promise not to be smug with me  
j/k no offence intended.
On a final note , i do resent having to dedicate a triton track to control the nova and or other stuff, its simply that i have never really used cubase for anything other than audio sequencing.

Message 12/16             04-Oct-00  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

alish

A good Nova partner is the new Emu synth, the XL-1, especially if you like techno.
It sounds really 'digital', and the marriage is good with a warm analog sounding synth like the Nova.
It has also that aggressive character that the Nova lacks a bit..and it's pretty cheap...also orange looks not bad with the Nova 'police blue' 

Message 13/16             05-Oct-00  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

psylichon

The only synths I have are a Nova and a Kurzweil K2500RS. These two synths, with their vastly (no pun intended) different sound engines, are a great compliment to eachother. I have a hard time imagining a sound that isn't possible with this combination, especially when you use them together (K2500 through the Nova's inputs, or the Nova through the K's live mode...you want more than one filter? you got it... killer!)

Of course, if it really can't be done in the synths, it can probably be done with a sample, Sound Forge, and a couple menus worth of plugins. Which shows that a computer with good software is, without a doubt, the BEST companion to any musical instrument, if sound design is your game...

peace...
psylichon

p.s. - I used to feel the same way about software sequencers... too messy. But once you get used to the basics of MIDI signal routing, and then incorporating audio tracks with your sequences and having fun mangling your synth lines with plugins, you'll never go back... trust me...! If you're on the PC trip, give Cakwalk Pro Audio a try. Everyone knocks it, but it has the cleanest, easiest-to-learn interface out there, and you can do some amazing things with a very modest system. Anyone else out there love Cakewalk?

Message 14/16             05-Oct-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

alish

Psylichon, I love Cake too.
Just a little test I runned recently: a five minutes song of 32 countinuous audio tracks (no repeated little loops)...Logic refused to start the playback (disk too slow or too much processor power needed), Cakewalk played them without problems from the begininning to the end (even with some plug ins inserted on two or three tracks. Maybe the reason is Cakewalk is born on PCs and administers relly well the power of the procesor and the HD...other sequencer (Logic, Cubase) are Mac native and everybody says the haven't reached the Mac standard on PCs yet.
Cake lacks something on the audio side (low quality reverbs and choruses/flangers, not as much eq power as Cubase)...hopefully the next version will cover these downsides, as I agree with you that the interface is the best and the MIDI functions are really clear and powerful.

Message 15/16             05-Oct-00  @  05:49 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

psylichon

CWPA 9.0's wavepipe technology really was a great step forward for the program. I can get 40+ tracks on my humble PII 400. Some of those are loops, with many realtime plugins active. From what I understand, loops can actually be a tougher test of your hard drive and system because of the way Cakewalk automatically allocates disk space. It's relatively easy to play a large, sequential WAV file. In fact, with a 7200 RPM ATA66 drive, i never even crack 15% disk usage, even with all those tracks.

I agree that the bundled plugins with Cakewalk blow, but that's easily remedied with third-party plugins. I use Cakewalk with a Yamaha DSP Factory...a *damn* cheap card for the power and sound quality. While Cakewalk still has FAR to go when it comes to the AudioX software interface for this card, it's still a potent combo once you get used to arcane signal routing scheme. I use it by submixing all my tracks to 16 hardware tracks on the card, each with dedicated DSP for EQ, compression, and access to two effects processors, in addition to flexible signal routing. If you don't have to rely on your CPU to power a reverb plugin, it really opens the can of worms for many more tracks and plugins...

And again I narrow the call... anyone using both Cakewalk and the DSP Factory together? Perhaps we could share tips...

peace
psylichon

Message 16/16             05-Oct-00  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Nova bugs

music

Ok, so maybe I`m feeling a little left out now with all this talk of cubase , logic and cakewalk. I gotta admit that when i first got cubase i dabbled quite a bit but found the manual totally useless for all but the basics. I guess i ought to start messing with it again really. Gotta get me a decent midi interface and sound card first tho i think. I`ve got enough cpu for the job, Athlon 800mhz, 256mb ram etc .
Wish me luck guys, you may see a lot more of me with a subject heading of "Cubase...HELP"  
Thanks for the advice Psylichon, i may have a look at cakewalk sometime soon.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)