aaa Perf mode crackles??? HELP! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  02:17 PM   -   Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

lightyear88

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Glad there is a forum 1st off! Well I just got the Nova 3 days ago and I like it, but I'm noticing that when I play high and low notes together using the softer pads, there is a crackle sound every time I hit a key. I doesn't seem like it's on all the performances, but enough so it is a problem.
I tried raising the attack a bit on all envelopes(cause they are quite fast) but it didn't do anything.
If this has happened to you or you can help, don't hesitate!
Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             18-Jul-00  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

cod hed

try turning down portamento, if it's on

Message 12/18             19-Jul-00  @  03:55 AM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

richard.thomas

Could be a click from the discontinuity when voice stealing occurs.. seem to remember having a similar problem at one time. If the release time is very long on the pad, and you are playing a not-so-slow sequence of notes, this could be an issue. Try reducing the release time (Env 1) and see if this helps. It may be an issue of the effects section being more unhappy about the sharp end of note rather than the voice generator itself. You could try playing with reducing each effects level one at at a time.Let me know how you get on (I haven't got a Nova here at work to try it out on right now).

Richard

Message 13/18             20-Jul-00  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

lightyear

Still there...Ok, I was on perf. a008 "cool Pad" and I adjusted all envelopes attack and release, all osc levels, and all fx...Of EACH part. Still there.
I just don't get it? At first I figured I was just experiencing voice stealing, but it happens when I'm trilling between 2 notes!
Another wierd thing is that it's not evident at first. It takes about 1 second after a program change till it starts, and when I lower my playing velosity it dies out and when I raise it, then it returns in 1 second or so.
I'm bummed, but it's nice that your all offering suggestions. I appreciate the help guys!

Message 14/18             24-Jul-00  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

lightyear

ANYONE????

Message 15/18             24-Jul-00  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

Digital Klanggg

You are probably Overvoicing it...

This is a 3 part perf, thats 3 voices for every note. so a 4 note chord will use all 12 voices. Playing a new chord when these are still releasing will cause note stealing and therefore a click as they are stolen.

The solution is play less voices.

Klangg

Message 16/18             24-Jul-00  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

lightyear

I think your right...and it's fucking terrible. How the hell am I supposed to do chord changes? I thought once you released a note that you are at full voicing? Hell my 10 year old korg can do 8 simultaneous 2 osc programs at once in combi mode, without a hint of voice stealing. Ohh well, I guess that will be the pad machine and this the bleep box.

Message 17/18             25-Jul-00  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

realtrance

Link?:  Link

lightyear,

Now that you've discovered the source of the apparent problem (and glad it's not broken, eh?!), try a little patience. You have to think about -- especially with pad-like, longer-sustained notes -- how you're using your voices. This is true of _any_ synth out there, I can starve an 128-voice P2K without much trouble if I do the right things.

A voice isn't over 'til it's over, which means it's not going to be "available" in the voice pool until the release phase has ended. So... work with the sustain and release times to get that golden balance between the sustained sound you want (and add a little chorus or delay in the fx section so you can back off the s/r times) and the maximum number of voices you can have.

Getting a Nova and then complaining about the voices means you have to pay a little closer attention; the Nova is not intended to be a 48-voice monster, you can get a Supernova II keyboard for an excellent price if you want that.

If you're working with an instrument with fewer voices, it's an opportunity to learn a _lot_ more about how to optimize the way you work with them.

I am happy with numerous patches on my Nord Modular that I make, which I only allow 4 voices for, even though I could have 16 for 'em. It's all in how you work the instrument.

rt

Message 18/18             25-Jul-00  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: Perf mode crackles??? HELP!

Lightyear

Ya I agree, I was just a little pissed when I wrote that. I realised that if I were to play like that it would sound like crap in the mix anyway. I actually am very happy with my nova, I'm learning tons about synthesis, it has great sound possibilities, and the interface rocks.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE>PROBLEM SOLVED!

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)