aaa Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 26-May-00  @  01:18 PM   -   Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

digitalbound

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

O.k., so I ordered my Q Rack (32 Voice version) from musicians-gear.com. Got it at a fantastic price (everything, including tax, shipping, custom's fee, etc - came to only $1550.)

This is an awesome price, no doubt about it.

However, I paid a price for ordering through them. My unit came shipped in an oversized box for the packing material and unit. It was chipped on the upper right corner and the metal was bent back. Clearly this was the fault of the packing and not shipping. Had it been packed appropriately, the unit would not have sustained any damage at all.

So, I sent an email to them, describing my experience and how I was disappointed with their packing and what could they do about this (since I recieved a cosmetically damaged unit). Here is their reply:

--------------------------

On Thu, 25 May 2000 16:26:41 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pointer wrote:

>I would appreciate some feedback on my complaint.

internet asks for speed. most of the customers are in a hurry.
sometimes we let force us in speedy actions too...
and then an accident happens - very sorry for that
* best regards

* Nicolas Keim - http://www.musicians-gear.com

--------------------------

Not good enough in my book. This is not quality service. However, the unit is functional and, as far as I can tell, has no operational problems.

I am at quandry as to whether I should push harder and see if I can get some recourse to this. I'm not sure....

Anyway, the unit came shipped without a warranty card for me to fill out and it came with the european/german electric plug. This was no big deal as I went to radio shack and bought a U.S.A. compatible plug.

All in all, I would rate the service experience as an F.

However,this viewpoint is mitigated by the price of the unit. So, overall I would have to grade Musician's Gear a C.

I am finicky about my stuff, and to recieve something that is tarnished in some way is bad.

If price point is your concern, then I say go for it.

If you are looking for great service as well...think twice.

rob.

p.s. However, I am still debating on ordering some MAM equipment from them. I can't imagine that they would have to mess with the packaging in that case...still trying to decide...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             29-May-00  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

In the states, I paid $65 import duty. No big deal, but it wasCOD, so I was a bit surprised by it. Luckily I had the cash on me. Still, $65 beats %16 of $1200. Even with the VAT it' still less than you pay for a domestic sale.

Ape

Message 12/18             29-May-00  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

component_1

Ape, How are you liking the Q. I've wobbling back and forth between the idea of getting the Q ( 32 voice ) and or the Xt ( 30 voice ). I recently sold my Yamaha EX5 and my Nord Lead 2. I'm down to my RM1x ( witch is lacking in the area of sounds ). I like the idea of wave-table but I not sure if I into the idea of learning an entirely new format. I heard the Q demo and love the way it sounds ( very versatile ).
I not sure but I think you have both of these units? I haven't used ether units, but I like there spec / demo's and I plan on buying one of them.
So in my own round about way I'm asking you if you had to pick one as your main synth witch one would it be? Alex

Message 13/18             29-May-00  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

Pongoid

I have the Q rack, and the MW1. Both are unique beasts, and both EXTREMELY complex. Scanning Wavetable really isn't a whole new format. It's similar to using square waves, and varying the pulse width, but instead of just changing width, you completely change the waveform output of the oscillator in question, and instead of just oscillating the width back and forth with an lfo, you also have a complex 8 stage envelope to change the 'pulsewidth' with. Best analogy I can make right now to describe an oscillator with flexible waveform output. Fun stuff.

The Q is more like the Nord, but also much more complex, less of a jump for you than the MW. Hard to say which I like better, as each has a very distinct character. Seems like you'll get more 'standard' synth sounds out of the Q, but plenty of unique stuff too. I've been pulling some really scary, nasty stuff out of the Q as of late. I guess I'd use the Q as my main synth as it is a little more utilitarian, but later when you have the cash, a MW1 sounds like no other. Breathtaking, really.

I was going to get the XT, and I still may, but if you have neither, get the Q. It's bad ass, but beware as it has a certain sound quality that is distinct, and it always sounds like itself. It's got this super clean edge that's really tight. It sounds very precision and tight, and I haven't found a way to change that and make it sound a bit more sloppy, but I'm sure I will. It's not perfect, but as it is, it's still unreal. Good luck. I'm getting by quite nicely with just the 16-voice, but I guess if you're doing really big sounding stuff, you may want the 32. I haven't sound a need for it yet, even in Unison Mode.

Ape

Message 14/18             29-May-00  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

component

Thank you for your reply, I'm definitely going with the Q. If it's sound quality sounds very much like it's own then I guess it does have a lot in common with the Nord. Although the Nord in my opinion has a very sloppy sound. If it has a tight precision sound to it, it's the board for me
(that's what I'm going for). So a few more question if you don't mind? How are it's pads, does it produce nice pads (I'm just talking factory
preset, or in your opinion). I'm a pad freak, I love em. Does it have drum kits or single drum sounds. It doesn't really specify on the
Waldorf site. Thanks again, Alex

Message 15/18             30-May-00  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

Pongoid

It has both kits and individual drum sounds. Some of the preset pads are amazing. Some, you just touch up a little, and they are also amazing, but when you start building your own, that's when the real fun begins. I'm sure you'll be quite satisfied with the results. I am, and I'm a picky bastard.

Ape

Message 16/18             30-May-00  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

component_1

Yep me to. I'd rather be a picky bastard than a content louse. Hey thank you again for all the Q&A help. I was going to ask "can you produce nice pads on it". But I have noticed a trend on this site with people responding to a Q like that, e.g. "I don't know can you make nice pads?
It's the person using it, not the machine"? and that was a can'o'worms I didn't feel like potentially opening. You understand. Hey do you have
any tracks available on the net, I'd love to hear em? Peace out for now- Alex

Message 17/18             30-May-00  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

pongoid

Nah, dude. GOOD pads are not easy to make, especially complex ones. It takes a good machine as well. Time and hallucinagens help, too.  

Ape

Message 18/18             30-May-00  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Review of Musician's Gear-Ordering my Q Rack

digitalbound

Pongoid's right.

The Q's sound kicks ass. I am very, very impressed by it's sonic capabilities...

It is now the center piece of my set up. Running in parallel with my Korg MS2000R, I have got a freakin' potent combo. I can't see straight, I am soooo happy.

anyway, The Q is great because if you want to learn more about sound synthesis, it is an easy to understand machine with clear layouts, etc. to bounce around in. And the manual is decently written with a little bit of theory thrown in..

The only thing I am having trouble with is the step sequencer. But I haven't tried it yet, I've only worked through the manual at this point (as I generally try to understand everything that I read before I go galavantin' around in the machine itself).

Still trying to sort through my shipping nightmare, but the sting is wearing off the more I play with the synth itself...

Devious, if you ask me.... [grin]

rob.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)