aaa How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 22-Jul-00  @  11:47 AM   -   How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Greywalker

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi. I am new with syntheziers and I was just wondering how easy the Nova/Supernova are for beginners? If you could email me to let me know I would really appreciate it.

From,
Nick
aka Greywalker

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             25-Jul-00  @  05:35 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Stefan

IMHO if someone has difficulties with the Supernovas user interface he hasn't yet understood subtractive synthesis.
But even if one is new to synthsizers the SN ist the best unit to learn subtr. synthesis.
The only possibility to make it even easier would be to take away some of its possibilities, for example to make envelopes less flexible by fixed mod routings etc.

Regards Stefan

Message 12/19             25-Jul-00  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

realtrance

Link?:  Link

Stefan and All,

Not saying the user interface is difficult _at all_ -- that's my point: it's one of the most natural interfaces out there, _if_ you have a clue about what subtractive synthesis is all about.

If you're really new to the whole process, though, I still think the SN can swamp you and frustrate you; I've seen plenty of frustration from new users on the net with issues that people with a little more experience wouldn't even think about.

For instance, the "distortion" if you turn up too many oscs on too many parts too high. It's natural, if you understand mixing oscs at all, to realize under certain circumstances that you have to roll back one or two oscs from 127 to, say, 84 or so if you're mixing a bunch, with overdrive, norming, etc. and setting up different stuff with the mod depth.

A new user will just hear the distortion and think their Nova/SN is "broken."

That's just one small example of what I'm talking about.

If you have any knowledge of subtractive synthesis, and/or have had other synths and basically understand, YES, the SN is probably one of the easiest and most immediate instruments out there to play with.

But if you're really new to it all, have mostly just played back samples on sample synths, etc. -- as I suspect the majority of newcomers have done -- something like the JP-8080 is probably a more reasonable starting point.

rt

Message 13/19             25-Jul-00  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Stefan

Sure RT, I had a lot of questions to the mailing list in the beginning ;-)

Maybe Novation should combine a Nova and the Virus manual ;-) It contains a step by step introduction to subtractive synthesis specified to the Virus and might be a good download for Novation customers too (www.access-music.de)

The SNV2 will have a lot more features than model 1. Will it be worse for a beginner ? I guess no, as long as the manual tells them not to start with the exploration of FM-Algorythms.
Or how about an OS that hides advanced features behind a special button and dislocks them after the cutoff knob has been twisted at least 200 times ;-)

Regards Stefan

Message 14/19             25-Jul-00  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

realtrance

That Virus manual is fantastic -- I downloaded it awhile ago, and even though it went over stuff I already "knew" about, it was well worth the read (I never assume I know much about anything, it helps me learn more that way). And I don't have a Virus (everyone has to stop somewhere! Too bad for me, I know, oh well....).

I really like your approach to the Special button, it would be a great way for Novation to field-test the reliability of the buttons and knobs on their synths (juuuuuuust kidding!).

I would guess the SNV2 would be just as "bad" as the SN for a beginner, along the terms I've suggested.

IF you're a beginner with lots of patience who likes to get swamped and can swim cheerfully in a pond of confusion and ambiguity, you'll learn more, faster, by going out now and quickly obtaining an SNV II keyboard (preferably the 48-voice version) and/or Q keyboard, and Nord Modular keyboard version. That would keep anyone in knob-twisting ecstacy for a good decade. If you've only got room for one larger keyboard, check out the Q against the SNV II to see which feels better. And, if possible, give 'em all at least 4 hours' worth of close listening apiece.

Or, alternatively, heck with all the VA and wait for an Andromeda.  

rt

Message 15/19             26-Jul-00  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

LHB

Even if the JP range is easier to operate I dont think any beginer is going to think it's the best thing to get. Come on it only has 2 parts, begginners are likely to want as much multitimbrality as they can get and at a much cheaper price and the nova has all that.

Message 16/19             26-Jul-00  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

lol

oops!

I think all VAs are good for beginners they have a lot of knobs and sliders. it is not difficult to make sounds (and good sounds after a few days) My first synth was a Roland D5, it's a black box with a little LCD and a few buttons, what a mother fucker thing to edit, I hate these PCM schit of 80's and 90's. If you want to make electro,you are a beginner,...buy a VA!

Message 17/19             26-Jul-00  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

Stefan

Link?: Link

If I had bought my Microwave II as first synth I would have given up after playing the presets.

Message 18/19             26-Jul-00  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

realtrance

RHB respect for your claim, BUT: working effectively with multitimbrality takes some knowledge as well. I'd rather have a beginner learn more about individual sounds and how to sculpt them on a VA.

Basically, to give a _total_ newcomer to electronic music an initial sense of the maximum range of what is possible, they'd be best off with something like an XP-80 or Trinity/Triton. That way, they can get some sense of the basics while still having the comfort of simple sample playback, which provides a wider range of base sound palette than you'll find on any VA, with plenty of options for learning what LFOs, filters, etc. do as well. And plenty of multitimbrality to do that Danny Elfman imitation as well.  

rt

Message 19/19             26-Jul-00  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: How easy is the Nova/Supernova to opperate?

RHB

Point taken, depends what *they* want to do though.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)