aaa DIY and Modular Synth's - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: DIY and Modular Synth's

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 30-May-00  @  03:40 PM   -   DIY and Modular Synth's

dxm_zine

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I was wondering if anyone can answer a few question I have?
I am intrested in building an analog synth because I am tired of every new synth trying to be a 303 and the unreliabilty and lack of customer support for all the old one's.
I am probally going to make the Paia Fatman first and then go modular with componets from MOTM and Paia mixed and Matched together and My questions are first the Mods and Fatman say you have to supply a MIDI Keyboard but truth be told An Actual Keyboard scares me beyond belief. I like the set up of THe FR 777 is there a way to build one of these type push button in case you have never seen it. Also is a midi Keyboard capable of slide and Accent? Also has anyone ever built either tha Paia or MOTM I would appreciate any tips and suggestion on ease of assembly?
C

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             02-Jun-00  @  07:53 AM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

johnj

I can't speak much for PAIA today, I was building their stuff '73-80. They used to sell manuals (with schematics, parts lists, test instructions, modification tips, etc), circuit boards. and "difficult to find" parts by themselves in addition to complete kits. You've got it absolutely right though; the point is to be able to make it a personal instrument. I used to build everything I used (to save money) but now I use Reaktor and I'm MUCH happier. But that's me in the now. Next year I may have to start wiring again, even though it takes me away from playing (I know, Reaktor takes time too, but I re-use a lot of the modules that I build like "relational" autopanners and delays. In one of those early PAIA Polyphony magazines, they talk about approaches to "presets" that are basically switch and pot banks and normalized jacks. I'm lucky. I've lived in the days of Moog, Miles, and Hendrix. When I grew up, the only person in our region who had a MiniMoog got it by using a settlement meant to replace his smashed-out teeth. Bad smile but good guts. It's MUCH easier now.

Message 12/19             02-Jun-00  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

H

That all depends on where your at.I think the only thing you can get from them now is the fatman bass synth.Do you have any of these polyphony mags of which you speak?If you do I can send you 10 or $15 to copy them for meif you have the time,If you have a scanner could you just email them to me in .pdf.If you don't have time it's all good.Half the hip-hop producers here faked accidents to get their studio loot.I don't really go for that sort of thing but you gotta do what you have to I suppose.

Message 13/19             02-Jun-00  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

H

I almost forgot Do you know of anyone who can take a doepfer MS-404 and upgrade the pots,switches,split the board,and install it into a table top case?I really have to get another one of these things they've been out of production for sometime but they still have some left.

Message 14/19             02-Jun-00  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

johnj

Why don't you E-mail me so (hopefully) my mail server can find you. I have a lot of personal bad karma to mess with but I'll send SOMETHING on Monday when I get back to my job (no modems at home). Ahh, moneys not in it. You were interested in LFO's, right? I'd send you the sample/ hold arcticle, but it's a little involved. Still, there's no telling... if nobody shoots me this weekend. I don't really know any music tech artistes any more. You might chat up a tech at your local music store or ITT tech school.

Message 15/19             02-Jun-00  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

johnj

Why don't you E-mail me so (hopefully) my mail server can find you. I have a lot of personal bad karma to mess with but I'll send SOMETHING on Monday when I get back to my job (no modems at home). Ahh, moneys not in it. You were interested in LFO's, right? I'd send you the sample/ hold arcticle, but it's a little involved. Still, there's no telling... if nobody shoots me this weekend. I don't really know any music tech artistes any more. You might chat up a tech at your local music store or ITT tech school.

Message 16/19             02-Jun-00  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

johnj

Why don't you E-mail me so (hopefully) my mail server can find you. I have a lot of personal bad karma to mess with but I'll send SOMETHING on Monday when I get back to my job (no modems at home). Ahh, money's not in it. You were interested in LFO's, right? I'd send you the sample/ hold arcticle, but it's a little involved. Still, there's no telling... if nobody shoots me this weekend. I don't really know any music tech artistes any more. You might chat up a tech at your local music store or ITT tech school. Have a good weekend, I'm headed to the licquor store for some solace.
Oh yeah, I just wanted to add: I modified everything I own and it lost ALL its resale value. Think vintage guitars. The modifications usually became "un" or " less" necessary after a couple of years, anyway. I mean, I NEVER use the separate outputs or external inputs on my Sequential Sixtrak. Or the wacky panning outputs or detunes on my DrumTraks. That's me, though...

Message 17/19             02-Jun-00  @  01:24 PM   -   PAIA info

johnj

Even better than a geeky scan. Here's the PAIA site http://paia.com/polyphny.htm
They seem to still sell a variety of stuff including Polyphony back issues. E-mail me if that doesn't help. This is my last post to this thread, honest.

Message 18/19             02-Jun-00  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

H

Just hide and then initiate the attack yourself.A bag of nitrate fertilizer and about three litres of diesel compressed into a small waste basket will take out any size buildings up to 3000 sq. ft.You can use the terra server to get images from spot and find a way to sneak up on the location.Put the package near a corner to help increase structural damage.Don't let somebody shoot you even the mob and the baddest bikers you ever met all breathe and circulate blood just like you.You can do anything when your life is in danger.if your a buddhist I wouldn't count on that higher rebirth.Use flash powder from a magic shop to set it off.You can obtain quality waterproof fuze from a rocketry/hobby shop.BE HERE ON MONDAY OR YOU JUST DIDN'T USE YOUR HEAD.IF ALL ELSE FAILS RUN RUN RUN.

Message 19/19             02-Jun-00  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: DIY and Modular Synth's

unibombz

Oh yeah I lmost forgot use 1 and a 1/2 ft. of fuze and run like hell.(just enough time to get away not enough time to be discovered if your stealthy).

NOTE TO WEBMASTER:
sorry about the above content but it seems like an emergency.I just hope he gets it

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)