aaa 16 Bit or 24? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: 16 Bit or 24?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 17-Aug-00  @  10:14 AM   -   16 Bits or 24, who needs it?

sefpow

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Salvation! Hey, since your all uop in music, letīs talk about
the 24 Bit thing. If using HArdware wich only supports Bitrates lower than 24Bits is it usefull to use 24 Bit (Software)Recording, even if you have to force it back down to 16 on CD? (You can use IDR and such against Quality loss, but what does it really bring?) And 96 Khz seems pretty much a waste, because you can only hear to about 20 Khz. O.K 96 Khz divided by 2= 48Khz, i meen who needs it? The Nova is internally operated with 24 bits, right?
Just opening a discussion that migt be interesting
CE YA, Seff

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/20             18-Aug-00  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

Stefan

Link?: Link

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/D035BAA5D245F6B9862567DF001914F2

Regards

Message 12/20             18-Aug-00  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

GT

again r, I offer you an apology for the crude delivery, but I stand to defend the poor kids here trying to keep up with the jones' of bit depth. It IS a group of company's trying to generate a vacuum to make more profit.

Regards,

GT

Message 13/20             19-Aug-00  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

k

really?... so the new supernova keyboard has adat outs ?.. and s/pdif stereo ?... cool,,,,, is that just the keyboard?.. or the new supernova rack too ?

Message 14/20             20-Aug-00  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

sefpow

Iīm really astounded by the many replies. It is cool that you are committed and what is much more important - exchanging your knowledge, synergy by communication with equal minded people,
thatīs the best thing of the net. O.K so much bla back to business.
Buying new equipment will always give you new technology, no way around and probably better sound.HA
Iīll sum up your infoī-1. talking about converters the more bit the better 2. If your doing all the mixing on a pc or digital mixer
and you have for ex. 18bit conv. use 24 bit record
and the dynamics wil get better? My guess is only a Studiotechnician will hear it and the file is even larger :-) S:E:F

Message 15/20             20-Aug-00  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

Batcrack!

Are you people on crack? There is ABSOLUTELY NO relationship between sample rate and the frequency of things you hear!!!
Sample rate, as in 96 KHz and 48 KHz and 44KHz, is exactly that, samples per second. You may ask why its in Kilohertz then, because its a measurment of cycles per period, meaning samples per second... thats the only reason its measured in hertz. The sound humans hear is also in hertz, but it means the number of vibrations per second...its still a frequency, so its measured in hertz... humans cant hear anything higher that 20,000 vibrations per second... so that means that there can be 96000 samples of a sound in a second, it gets closer to real sound, real sound is continous. If you took a sound made from a CD and magnified it enough on a graph, you would still find gaps between samples eventually. Increased sample rate is intended to produce a more realistic sound compared to the source recording, not to make sounds you cant even hear.

Message 16/20             20-Aug-00  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

Point Being

dont talk out of your ass dude.. first off, yes you are right about sampling frequency being how many samples per-second are taken, but you are wrong about the corellation between sample frequency and top audible frequency.. the maximum frequency that a digital recording can capture is 80percent of half the recording frequency..

so.. if you record at 44.1 then the max frequency that can be recorded (called the nyquist or nyquest frequency.. i cant remember which) is 80 percent of 22,050 hz or 14,112 HZ, which is why cds usually have a noticable lack or "air" or superhigh frequencies.. because there is 6Khz that cds cant convey..

another thing.. the human ear is only so acurate.. i believe at arround 100-120 khz sampling rate, the ear can no longer distinguish the difference from higher rates.. this is because of the physical limitations of the human body.. if you want even more acurate sound, you are going to have to tap into the cochlear nerves themselves..

yea, so stop farting your brains out.. and pick up a copy of a computer music tutorial by curtis roades from mit press..

Message 17/20             21-Aug-00  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

realtrance

Link?:  Link

Hey Ryan,

'tweren't venom, you were whinging on about how Novation was releasing the 48-voice version first and I was just arguing against that whinge turning into yet another undeserved and irrelevant diatribe against Novation, as there've been plenty enough of those around here in the past few months.

Well, the thread's there to look at if anyone cares.  

Best,

rt

Message 18/20             21-Aug-00  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

k

so, do both the new supernova 7 the new keyboard have adat outs & s/pdif then (too lazy to check) - if yes, they'd be great with all the adat option racks you can get with audio cards now, you could run the supernova into the pc s/w sequencer mixer direct on it's own 8 IN dig rack - yum!

Message 19/20             21-Aug-00  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

ryanmcwhorter

according to the website both the keyboard and the rack can be fitted with the spdif/adat option. r.

Message 20/20             21-Aug-00  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: 16 Bit or 24?

batcrack

sorry for the rant... i was very stoned when i wrote that and i seem to have made it a bit long-winded... oops

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)