aaa nova or virus? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: nova or virus?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  12:41 PM   -   nova or virus?

wman2

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hy nova guy's

I have got a nova, but in my head I have a doubt, have I buy the right rack?
I make techno and dance music, and nova seem to be too fat, too big sometimes.
Can it make the same sound like virus or not?

Help me!
Thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/27             23-Jun-00  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: nova or virus?

trippler

Link?: Link

Hello wman,

I have Virus and Supernova and with both units it was a kind of love at first sight ;-) I simply liked (among other things) the sound character of them. I never made any considerations if they sound like vintage gear, in fact I don't care.
For my opinion the discussions like "virtual-analog versus pure analog", "Nova vs Virus", "Cubase; Cakewalk etc vs Hardw sequencers" are good enough for forums and mailing lists. I usually take part in these discussions when I have no musical ideas - too often - ;-)
Listen to both synths and decide which you like more.

hmm, actually I wanted to write that there's nothing to be added to Craigs posting.

btw: just for fun I made a short boogie of Supernova with Virus on www.mp3.com/Immigrant --> Torsion.
I'm really proud of that revolutionary chord combination ;-)

For the Scooter sound you need a good A&R manager, good physical conditions to do gymnastics around a keyboard without destroying it and the sampler of a Soundblaster card ;-)

To Craig: how come that for one remark bout my wife you feel like 99 devils ??

Regards Stefan

Message 12/27             23-Jun-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: nova or virus?

sitar

Link?:  Link

Check out the July issue of Future Music, page 98, "the perfect setup". They chose the best setup for someone who wants to sound like Prodigy. They chose the Nova saying, "The outright reigning champion of analogue synths has to be the Novation Nova". I've heard so many different genres written with the Supernova/Nova at the core. You didn't make a mistake IMO. I liked the Virus too when I played it. I'm sure it's great. If you can get both your lucky. But Novations are simply incredible synths.

Message 13/27             23-Jun-00  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: nova or virus?

CK

It doesn't matter, either will allow you to produce a decent track, if you have the talent that is. Look at your existing gear and try and work out which one will fit in best.

Both will allow you to produce a very wide range of analogue sounds. As far as the VA versus Analogue thing goes, the VAs do a very good job at reproducing analogue sounds. When you set the resonance to the pointer where the filter is almost self-oscillating then some real analogues cam produce sounds that the VAs can't.

Message 14/27             23-Jun-00  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: nova or virus?

sitar

That's the bottom line CK. Learn to use what we have. We chose gear for a reason. I still have to put serious time into aquainting myself with my sampler which is an excellent sampler. But you'd never know it seeing how little I've used it. It's an Emu 4XT and it's just sitting there looking at me saying "Hellooooo! Anybody home?" The bain of my existance right now.

Message 15/27             24-Jun-00  @  05:00 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

SmaCk303

I am the exact same with my sampler!
The main reason being the fact that it takes a while to 1. Find sample material, 2. Sample it, 3. Configure a single program on my AKAI, 4. Put all my single programs into a multi, 5. Correct the timing of my samples (If vocal) with my beloved Cubase.

My preference in my setup is to quickly Boot my PC, Z1 and my Supernova and begin the creation!!!

P.S Is there an Anti Sampler chat section @ Dancetech ?

SmaCk303

Message 16/27             24-Jun-00  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

Bitch

ha yeah... my sampler is pissing me off too... i just wanna get down to writing choons staraight away... the thought of configuring my sampler is daunting and a turn off.

As for sitar's comment:
1. Future Music sucks.
2. Future Music takes bribes (hint!)

Message 17/27             24-Jun-00  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

sitar

I've heard that said before. But what they say about the Nova doesn't conflict with my personal experience with my Supernova.

Anti Sampler chat? Good luck. I have to bite the sampling bullet.

Message 18/27             24-Jun-00  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

wman2

ok guys,
thanks to all for these answers, I have another question, do you know, who of famous people, that make dance music have a nova or supernova?
do you know some links where I can download some good good nova stuff and patch?

Thanx

Message 19/27             24-Jun-00  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

Bitch

Link?: Link

A list of artists at the link above... all use Supernova but there aren't any Nova users.

Message 20/27             24-Jun-00  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: nova or virus?

sitar

There was an article in Home Recording Mag around October 1999. Interview with one of the Hartnoll brothers (Orbital). He said that his favorite synth is the Supernova.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)