aaa desperate... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: desperate...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 16-Sep-00  @  06:04 AM   -   desperate...

trevor

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Can anyone give me their thoughts on what features the sequencer in a 303 clone should have added / omitted? I know I'm probably really, really pissing people off posting these requests all the time but I would really appreciate suggestions. As you might remember, I started this project bloody months ago and it's about time I got started... Thanks all - Trev

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/58             19-Sep-00  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: desperate...

trevor

Hi again folks..

Thanks for your comments. They're really great and you've given me some smart ideas.

Right, I've listed some of the the ways in which I intend to change the sequencer design, or features that I intend to add. Feel free to comment on these ideas. If you think they're absolutely shite then say so. I want to get this right first time. Sorry to bore you lot with this shite. Flame mail to above address.

First I want to get rid of the idea of having a rotary switch for track play, track write, pattern play etc and replace this with a single button to toggle TRACK MODE on or off. When it's off (the LED is not lighted!) we are in 'pattern mode', which the machine will probably default to on power up. When toggled ON, the machine is in TRACK play/edit mode.

I'll probably keep the PITCH MODE and NORMAL MODE buttons. In fact, I could rename the pitch mode to 'EDIT', or 'TRACK/PATTERN EDIT'. When in track mode you hit this button to edit a complete track. In pattern mode, you hit this to alter the pitches, accents, slides AND timing information. In normal mode, it would work as the tb303 does.

Like in Rebirth I'll replace the TIME MODE button with a button to toggle between 'black note' and 'rest' and you can alter this for each note when in PITCH MODE (EDIT mode?). Like with rebirth, you create a tied note by sliding two or more black notes into each other.

The NORMAL MODE button would also serve as a 'function' button as it does on the 303. You would hold this down and press a note key at the same time to activate special gimmicks such as randomise, scale, um... other stuff.

Would people like to see the TRACK/PATT GROUP rotary switch kept as it is? Or should there be a better way to access different track/pattern banks?

Do you lot generally prefer the way that timing information is edited in Rebirth? I don't want to have an actual TIME MODE like on the original fartbox. Would this be much hassle?

Well.. basically the rest of it would work pretty much like the 303. One important addition will be a three or four digit LED display to show pattern step position, or current & next pattern when in track mode. This will make the whole thing much easier to use. Hopefully.

Thanx for the input, guys.

Trev

Message 12/58             19-Sep-00  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: desperate...

trev

Link?:  No link

Also do most of you consider it essential to be able to run your TB off the batteries alone? My design will not require batteries to backup the memory. I'm thinking of compacting it and not having a battery compartment. OR, sealing a battery pack inside and adding a charger socket on the rear...

Message 13/58             19-Sep-00  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: desperate...

oldskool

Battery power is a must dude! I must admit as well that I prefer the TB way of inputting ties than rebirths way. All the rest sounds cool though  

Message 14/58             19-Sep-00  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: desperate...

Tully

Great project.
Three quick things:

If you go with an external power
supply, please leave the 9V wall
warts in the bin.

If the the pitch knob could click
at every semitone, that would be very useful. Unless you had plans to
include an RBesque pitch control.

If you could include something like
RB's PCF section you'd have really
outdone yourself.

Cheers and good luck

Message 15/58             19-Sep-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: desperate...

komputer

keep dreaming

Message 16/58             19-Sep-00  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: desperate...

Komputerkontrolled

Who's posting as me???

eat one!

James

Message 17/58             20-Sep-00  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: desperate...

tfy96mjy

Trev, I think there's a problem with the RB-338 programming method. The accent trail may sound different depending on whether you enter:

accent and black note, white note
accent and black note and slide, black note

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the first case the accent will sound much more cutoff than in the second case.

Message 18/58             20-Sep-00  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: desperate...

tfy96mjy

Something got garbled up there. It should be:

(I) accent and black note, white note
(II) accent and black note and slide, black note

For the two cases

Best Regards,
Mike

Message 19/58             20-Sep-00  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: desperate...

trevor

I think I sort of understand what you're getting at. In the first case, the accent effect will be suddenly disappear when it plays the second (white) note because it is not tied. The second note is not accented.

In the second case, the two notes are tied, so it will sound as one continuous note (which will slide up or down if you've tied two different pitches together) and the entire note is accented. This is how it should be.

Is this what what you mean? Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I'm intersted in finding out exactly what you mean.

There are a few quirky things with Rebirth's sequencer that I've discovered.

Another thing, oldskool prefers the TB way of making tied notes. Unfortunately this would be difficult and impractical to implement with a 'rebirth' way of imputting pitches. So I'm not really sure how to go about it as yet.

Do you lot like the idea of keeping the track/patt group knob or would a pushbutton approach be preferred?

What kind of external power supply would be preferred?

Trev

Message 20/58             20-Sep-00  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: desperate...

909 Inc.

I'll drop in some late seq. ideas.

I like the tr-606 way of changing
length. perhaps have a row of 16
buttons with a led below/above it to
indicate: when holding down
button, the lit LED's
indicate the lenth of the pattern.

I'll just throw another one, when in
pattern play mode, the 303 can
"bunch" patterns in groups of 4. If you
can specify in the "pattern lenth"
section (on my imaginary seq) which
parts you want played, so after the
pattern is writtern, you can only play
steps 1-4 or 5-8 etc. (perhaps a way
to NOT group them in four exists).
Also, if you made a 16 note pattern,
and wanted to shorten it, to say 8, the
other 8 notes would be stored in a
buffer, so you can go back to 16
notes. Also the ability to do this live
would be awesome, I think Robin
Whittle has a mod for the 606 that
lets you punch in/out of other
patterns and stuff.

As for inputting the notes, there can
be a 303 style keyboard with
transpose LED's. Also each key,
including the #'s would have a led.

So say, you press or
something.. you press step <3> (or a
next/back button) then the LED next
to <3> lights up and below a
corresponding note's LED is lit, also
transpose UP / Down 's LED lights
up if applicable.

Hmm, does this sound too much like
rebirth?

back to work, I'll read some more
posts and throw replies later.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)