aaa ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  05:41 AM   -   ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

The Price for your products are crashing down like Yamaha-Products.
The BIG supernova was selled on ebay for half of the price !
I think people don´t trust anymore in your update-politic.
If its too much work for Phil
Novation should have another person to work on it.

I´m very angry, especially that I can´t sell it for a fair price because of your bad reputation.

I think tis was the last product I´ve bought from Novation.

I ve bought an Access Virus Keyboard and now I see the big difference :
better updates and better sounds.

THANK YOU
bene

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/59             28-Jul-00  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Tipo

i thought Novation were releasing the new Nova OS at the end of July? Gossip eh?

Message 12/59             28-Jul-00  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

k

whatever.. i'm not having a go at the virus at all, they are very good too, in fact i was chatting with Chris who owns Organic records just this morning, and he's just been working in Germany where he used a VirusB and went out and bought one the next day and brought it home with him to the UK, fine... he's currently negotiating with NOVATECH for relase of some stuff ... so fine, as i said, it's a good synth, and like the nova's in the right hands it can make good music, but the hysteric's i can't take much more... both are good synths, niether are released UNFINISHED as our synth buying & selling visitor claims of many makes... so why can't we just choose what we like and get on with making some music and not try to drag synths into some hysterical thing best reserved for 11 year olds discussing which is the 'best' pop groups....

Message 13/59             28-Jul-00  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Tipo

I think its the fact that Access are bringing out updates every other month whilst Novation are over a year late. I reckon thats why these guys are getting mad.... anger causes juvenile behaviour.

Message 14/59             28-Jul-00  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Stefan

There last major update of the Virus A was about a year ago and introduced the vocoder.
And afaik it will be the last for the A.

Message 15/59             28-Jul-00  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

RHB

Maybe they are working very hard on the new OS and the wealth of new features will blow us away?

Message 16/59             28-Jul-00  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

k

well the fact remains.. novation promised an OS update with new sounds and extra polyphony - that they delivered pretty quick - the SPECIAL button was ALWAYS promoted like this: An extra button put onto the hardware which would allow them to allocate extra things to that button rather than just adding an extra menu item to another button therefore saving scrolling thru more menu items etc... - they could easily implement anything like extra filer shapes in the standard filter menu without the button, but the buttons were always said that this is so that Novation have the option to add extra facilities if they choose to add them - so it is really a freebie option button that Novation can if they like add a function to in the future.. that is all... no promises were made aboiut what those functions might be or when they would appear if at all, Novation always made it clear that those features COULD do such and such things, and if they have time, they add things like giving free extra's to the user.. that is all.

the new SN2 add's another filter i understand, so you can stack two filters in series etc, also it does FM with about 8 FM algorithms i think... if these features DON'T make it to the SN_1 (and the two filters i dont think will) no big deal for me... As for FM, i also prefer to use an original Yamaha DX for my FM to get the authentic popular sounds, and those are so cheap to find s/h, cos so many were made, it is no problem to add real yamaha vintage FM with it's own keyboard/unit, midi port and outputs for around 100 pounds or even less.. i just picked up a totaly mint DX27 for £50 quid last month -

in the end, all the synths i have are basically fixed OS.. like synths used to be... you buy it, it does what it does.. no-one thinks of the synth as like a s/w programme to be always updated.. but now alot of younger users who have only been buying synths since s/w os's were upgradable feel now that synths are just like s/w or soundcards etc and should have endless upgrades etc and new features always released... this to me is not a good way to think... buy the product based on what it can do just like an older synth.. anything else is just free extra's to me.... i have to be 100% happy with the product as it is to buy it.

Message 17/59             28-Jul-00  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

realtrance

Link?:  Link

k,

You make a good point, a lot of people here seem to have had their expectations trained by the software industry, so when they see anything that smells and feels even a little like a duck, they call it a duck. Just duckie.

There's so much in the way of FM out there -- the FS1R's still available, BTW, though not at the blow-out price the last round of inventory was at -- that nobody should cry fowl if they never get another filter or FM option for their SN with the last OS update. I'm sure the SN II's version is unique, and cool to have, along with two filters (that brings it more into league with the Q for that aspect of the architecture) instead of "just" one, etc. etc.

But me, I'd be happy if all I got with OS4 was "OS4" coming up in the LED when my SN boots. I would then call it Done, as it's basically already been for many months.

Anything beyond that's pure gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

rt

Message 18/59             28-Jul-00  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

care less

I'm happy with the snv the way it is, but there are 3 points:-
1) I've been running a beta OS for almost a year, that is unprofessional on the part of Novation, regardless of it's stability.
2) a post from phill in september last year suggested that a new OS was not far away, this is what has led to the expectation and the bitching about lateness.
3) Ultimately for Novation, they may have the best synth in the world, but they are shooting themselves in the foot, and that's the bottom line.

Message 19/59             28-Jul-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

alphazone

Link?:  Link

maybe a stupid question but does anybody know if a new OS for the Nova is coming out in addition to the Super?

bcwest

Message 20/59             28-Jul-00  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

satori

Heya.
How I’ve bought my Supernova. I got her from a shop for a weekend. I tried her whole weekend, I listen, I've programmed her a little. I loved the sound I bought her. Extra buttons were there and I thought that it is some way to improve SN with these buttons. However, I bought SN and buttons were as a bonus for free. Than I've found this forum and downloaded from here some upgrades to existing OS and I got some new sounds, new friends (hi Phil, Stefan) and more... voices.
I'm VERY happy with my SN because I'm mad? Or... I do have a reason to be happy with my new toy!?
Any extras after I purchased my SN is a bonus for me and I do appreciate it a lot.
I agree that there could be much more added to it, but, never anything was so good , so could not be even better.
I do have an idea. I will start to whinge that Virus pads do sux, huh!?

Cheers whingers.
BTW. My English could be better too! ;-P

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)