aaa The Worlds Best Synth - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Worlds Best Synth

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message                 Date: 20-Apr-99  @  10:04 PM   -   The Worlds Best Synth

Mo7

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Let me just say that it doesn't exist. Sorry but it doesn't.
This is just my way of letting people know that most synths have there place in your studio you just have to find the right place for it. In some caese its the garbage but not always. I've gone through many synths in the 2 years live been trying to make it as they say. some are crap and others I can't beleave I sold. We have to go through the "I don't know what to buy so I'll get what the other guys buy" phase. At first I bought a master keyboard and tons of modules but that is definetly not the way to go. Your better off with the keyboards. The more hands on the better.

One thing that really bugs me as that when I read a review it's always comparing the synth to a 303. get the fuck over it if you want a 303 get the fucking 303 and shut the hell up. Why would you buy a synth to sound like another synth. the rave-o-lution doesn't sound like a 303 so don't get it. give me a fuckin break.

All synths have a little something to contribute to your sound.
I'll give you a little run down of the synths I regularly use and what i use them for .
-Korg Prophecy- The pads are incredible. 13 osilators help to sculpt the sound. Can you say FAT. Its also a great controller with the dials and aftertouch.
-Roland String Ensemble- Great sampled strings. makes it on all tracks.
-Roland MC-303-Big peice of crap what the hell was I thinking. I do however use a few drum sounds.
-Roland Sound Canvas- GM for internet music. I've been know to use a patch or two on a track.
-Novation Bass Station- Bubbly acid and super mono bass lines
-Korg ER-1- Awesome drums
-Korg EA-1- Great synths. Analog heaven and easy to use.
-EMU ESI 32 sampler- collects all the dust.
-CS2X- Great controller and really nice arpegiator. Sounds are decent to.

None of these could work alone but togheter its a powerful package to be feared.

I got to get back to work bye.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/71             05-Jun-99  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

What works for me,,,,   Juno-106, MPC2000, S20, Sequential TOM, and a Pro-One That it!!! Small and simple set-up!!

Message 12/71             05-Jun-99  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

juno 106, prophet 600 and atc-1 with the mini,aro and sem cartridges(great sounding)

Message 13/71             07-Jun-99  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

k

any synth that is mine is the greatest synth in the world cos it's what ive got to work with - limitations

that s-nova is the absolute bollox tho - always surprises - the humble DB9 - what a fat sound for subbasses & more - my dx100, couldnt live without it old faithful.... anyways as i say i've got all these synths, and none of them can do it all - none to me is the greatest, the dx100 does exactly what it does best, and when i go there, i know it'll do the sounds i want, but it's totally different to a k2000 etc.... they all got strong points - the Novation drumstation & audio pc tracks takes care of drums & loops, sampler for extra sounds & drums - but equally it could be whatever box i had, all i know is the combi of cheap sampler for drum hits (lo-memory), drumbox (if it has the right sounds) & pc audio tracks for longer audio loops and chopping & construction is awesome combi - add any monosynth or the dx for bassline, & arp' lines, and some digital gloss over the top if needed from strings organs & piano's to slick sounding ambient evolving pads, maybe some fast arp triggered sample, whatever.... i gotta lot of choices, and usually, i start with a synth, what it comes up with thru the pattern makes the idea roll... it might even be some drum & bassline started in a softsynth i'm trying... but the spark, the idea, begets the linear creation that follows as you mould the idea into a linear form - and the spark/idea can come from anywhere -

but i love the supernova for it's sheer speed of use & sound creation, tiny amount of brain cells needed to use it, and it's all-in-one-simple-ness...

Message 14/71             11-Jun-99  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

I realize this is the analog area and the Q is digital, but it's still worth mentioning, becaue it works like ar real modular except without the cables.

Ape

Message 15/71             17-Jun-99  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

dennery

That's a myth !

I've been trying different pieces of gear by the past 5 years and there is no Absolute synth that does everything well. The interest is to mix different textures from different synths.

But ... some of them allways come back in front of the scene: Mini, SE1, Juno 106, 101, TB (The man who said if you want a TB get a TB is right, otherwise fuck the duck and try to fly).

Reduced gear set with cool pieces of gear is great : learn to use your machine the best way you can instead of getting Heavy weaponry.

Yours

Yves

Message 16/71             26-Jun-99  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

blah

what a bunch of dicks! If it sounds good, fucking use it! Who the hell cares if its analog or digital modeling or what the fuck ever. Cool sounds are cool sounds, and shit like a yamaha an1x or a roland jp 8000 make cool sounds. Quit fucking worrying about when the damn thing was made!

Message 17/71             30-Jun-99  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

Patrick

Well, mine aint much, but I fucking love every peice of it. Sh 101 grey with mod grip and fittings to use with the Kenton pro 2000, fucking midi synced lfo's on an analogue synth-TB what. The lfo sync's to the internal clock on the SH anyway. Jupiter 6 What can I say she so colorful. A fully blown MOTM Modular, this boy can build some bad ass shit. Prophecy, for efx. Audity 2000 for arps and sync's, funky ass synco perfecto. Micro Modular, nice drum synth included, althogh the SH will smoke it on BD's.
A3000 for my sampling needs, not that I really need any? and fucking fruity loops. and logic silver with audio werk 8 and Unitor 8. Cool edit 96 because I don't use plugs I have a rack full of efx and a little mackie mixer with some old monitors and some stomp boxes. With 3 sl 1200 for spinen me plates.

Message 18/71             01-Jul-99  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

gertrude

the best synth in the world is the casio vl-1
28 lfos
32 filter types
256 note polyphony

Message 19/71             03-Jul-99  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

GASMAN

XT XT XT XT XT XT XT XT XT.........

Message 20/71             08-Jul-99  @  07:13 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

influx

Link?:  Link

Just happened to roll in here...and once again Pongoid is goin off...
the first post here...I dont see why he got attacked like that "your setup is a joke"..he didnt claim it was the "ONE" just his...
I have no opinion whatsoever what the best synth is...BEST FOR FUCKING WHAT?
I certainly love knobs and sliders for that hands on thing...and thats all I have to say about that...
I still dig ya pongoid..no offense

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)