aaa To self - Oscillate.. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: To self - Oscillate..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-00  @  12:27 AM   -   To self - Oscillate.. newbie question

metaphy99

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Every couple of weeks I see someone use the terminology self-oscillation. What is self-oscillation? Why do people speak of it like it's real special, is this something I should want to do? Does Waldorf , Nord, and Nova do it? Does the Virus B do it????

Evar

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/75             05-Nov-00  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

CK

Strictly speaking most VA's don't self oscillate, the filter requires a kick to get it going. On the supernova you use an envelope to give a pulse of noise to start it off. In practice this makes no difference. Waldorf claim the XT filters and presumably the Q self-oscillate (ie no input is required from the oscillator section) and I've no reason to doubt them.

Message 12/75             05-Nov-00  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

CK, most VAs don't self oscillate? My first hand experience on irus, Nova, JP8k, MS2000, Nord, Reaktor, Rebirth, Vaz, and Waldorf PPG say they do. I insist.  

Message 13/75             05-Nov-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

Rude Bwoy

We are talking about filters SELF-oscillating i.e. on their own without aid of a little click noise from an oscillator! Nearly all VAs (apart from Waldorf it seems) need something to set the filter off. I suspect the reason an analogue will self oscillate is down to noise.

Message 14/75             05-Nov-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

H

Actually the answer to why self oscillation is a big deal in the filter is so you can use the filter and the envelope to make big fat ass drum sounds like 909 and 808 kicks and all those other analog drum sounds.It's more useful for creation of sounds to sample than to play although if you get your lfo in on the envelope and add a lil mod wheel for anther thing you can program some pretty funky rhythmic sequences.Audio range Lfo is cool because you can use it to modulate the pith of the Oscillator for crude FM synthesis which is why the MS404 is one of my favorite synths because everything self oscillates.

A way to use that extra oscillator.

Message 15/75             05-Nov-00  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

H

The picth of the oscillator for crude fm.Microwaves probably self oscillate because they use an analog filter.

I kaint spull sometamez

Message 16/75             05-Nov-00  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

Bluton

CK and Rude Bowy, the SELF in self-oscillator doesn't mean the filter being able to oscillate without input signal. It actually means being to oscillate while it is not an oscillator.

The self oscillation sound is what people talk about when they ask if a synth's filter self-oscillate. That's why people say, for example, TB-303's filter self oscillates. One can never not feed any signal into an unmodified TB-303's filter. And that's why some people care if a synth they are buying has self oscillating filters. They care about the how the filters behave for their created sounds, not that wheter the filters oscillate or not if they don't feed any signal in that synth.

Message 17/75             06-Nov-00  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

Jasper

The MW1 has an analogue filter, the mw2/xt/xtk etc have digital filters, pretty damn good ones too.

Message 18/75             06-Nov-00  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

johnny

My NL2's filter doesn't self-oscillate (or oscillate with an audio jolt), so whether boomer means the NL2 by Nord I'm not sure... all I can say is mine doesn't :-)

Message 19/75             06-Nov-00  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

phunkytek

also, when you run a self oscilating filtered sound into a distortion device, you get those ripping high pitched Josh Wink style acid lines when the filter squeels.

Message 20/75             07-Nov-00  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

Not the NL2. It's Nord Modular whose one of the filter modules is called classic filter will self oscillate with autogain option.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)