aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/75             10-May-00  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?: Link

Best MIDI-Synch-Converter box is the Doepfer MSY-2. It's only
about $90.00 USD, comes with a MIDI IN, THRU, and two SYNCH outputs.

Message 12/75             11-May-00  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks for all the help!

I have no drumsmachine yet. Just the good old CS2x, a computer, and a shitload of loops and drumlines in my head that are begging to hit a TB-303! It's not the best synth, but it has a few nice voices. Can the Novation have patterns changed on the fly, while playing? What I may do is get a Novation drumstation, and trigger it with the TR-505, allowing on-the-fly change.

The MIDI IN/OUT/THRU thing is confusing to me. Where would the IN come from, where would the OUT go, and what the @#$% is THRU? Again, I apologize for asking such dumb questions, but I'd really like to pass the lingo barrier before I start making some good music.

Since I'm on a limited budget, what would you recommend to me? Assuming I'm happy with my synth, I need a mixer (not more than 10 channels for sure, I won't be having more than like four things going into it), drums (how much is the novation V2?), effects, and definitely a 303 (I'm really taking to some samples I'm hearing). Maybe if I cash in enough this summer, I'll be able to afford the Devil Fish mod. That allows Sync24 and a myriad of other goodies, right? I should be good for awhile with this kind of setup, until I decide I need more drums, synth sounds, etc. Then I guess I'll trade in the CS2x for something else, and get something cool (TR-909, anyone?), if I can find anything.

-Nick

Message 13/75             11-May-00  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Not that I don't feel like explaining but if you look to the top-left of your screen there's the "dance selector" =>choose articles and do some searching.
There's lots of explinations and basic information on MIDI etc.
Drumstation is +/- $650-700, no need for a original TR-909 once you have it ...unless you're one of those two who won like $200.000.000,- this week. In that case I would have an early christmas list for ya  .
You could also go for Korg's ER-1 but that's minus the syncing.

-M-

Message 14/75             11-May-00  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Actually, just to cheer ya up, Drum Stations are not that expensive. I picked mine up for $335 US. I love it! I sold my Quasimidi Rave-O-lution 309 to buy it and I don't regret it like I thought I would. I also picked up an ER-1 for $300 a while back. The Drum Station and the ER-1 are the 2 dopest drum machines out there since the original xox stuff and for the prices, shit, you can't go wrong!

Pete

Message 15/75             11-May-00  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

TRminator

The Drumstation is not a drummachine!!

Message 16/75             11-May-00  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

What is it then?

Message 17/75             11-May-00  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?: Link

I think he means that it has no onboard sequencer. Just get the
Korg ER-1 if you're starting out. If you need the extra 909 sounds,
just use ReBirth (for the toms, rim shots, ride cymbal...). Then if
you really want pure 909 and 808 sounds, get the Novation
Drum Station. You can sequence it with the ER-1, it works beautifullly.

With regards to your MIDI question...MIDI IN receives incoming MIDI Data, MIDI OUT exports MIDI data from the device, and MIDI THRU passes MIDI data out that is coming into the device. This is used to synch multiple pieces of gear in the same MIDI chain, but it is recommended to keep the number of devices in a chain below 5. Example, in my setup I have master MIDI Clock coming from my Korg ER-1, it then OUTPUTS to the Doepfer MSY2 which sends synch24 to my TB-303 and TR-606. Then the THRU is passed to my Korg Prophecy, and passed THRU to my JP-8000. It's that simple. You just have to get your IN's and OUT's down pat.

Message 18/75             12-May-00  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Pete,

Don't tell me you got it new for $335, as far as I can remember they're like 13-1400 dutch guilders.That's dubbel!

-M-

Message 19/75             12-May-00  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

oh...no. Sorry, my bad. I bought it used. I wasn't thinking...your right, thats what they go for new. Shit, I didn't even know that you can still buy 'em new. I haven't seen any new around here in the San Francisco bay area. But then again, I don't get out much either.

I must add that the Drum Station is worth every penny.

~Pete

Message 20/75             12-May-00  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, but here's what I don't get...if you want your drums to play one thing, but you want the JP-8000, or something else down the line to play something completely different (and still be sequenced, and in time with the clock), what do you do?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)