aaa SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             24-Sep-00  @  11:34 AM   -   SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well phil, i'm sorry to say that the SNIIkb that has caused me to doubt myself for a month has been confirmed as faulty. i don't know if it's just this unit but i see other people here with similar problems.

AS FOLLOWS :-

With Local Off

Note data being transmitted into the sequencer is being returned but not registered by the SNIIkb. Check made with other instruments connected to the same midi in cable - they respond.

In performance mode the SNIIkb makes no sound and the part button does not flash indicating it is not receiving midi data, however data definately arriving down the cable as other instruments respond when cables switched.

At certain velocities (usually hard and fast strikes) note off data is not transmitted from the keyboard resulting in stuck notes. The whole situation was confirmed with a midiscanner. We even slaveds the SNIIkb with another keyboard - no stuck notes.

The arpegiattor is extremely problematic and works intermittently as you know, but add this to the above list and it's all adding up.

This test was done this weekend by a far more competent studio engineer than myself and each problem was equally addressed to his newly acquired SNII rack (which IS different but that's another story) and all was fine.

It appears that thefundamental problem is with the keyboard itself and its relationship with the software. I am sending this unit back tomorrow unhappy that i have spent a month trying to fathom out weird situations which at the end of the day you don't expect to have for £1500.00 (credit too!!!).

i am so angry that such a major problem exists and am considering looking at the waldorfs et al as i was originally. it's been 10 years since i had a new master keyboard and sending this machine back now means more studio down time in addition to the time wasted checking random and intermittent faults.

i sincerely hope you've checked your units sent for review because if this is not a one off problem (which i'd like SNIIkb owners to check) then you really should be ashamed of yourselves.

ps. and why can't you manually change the banks with local off. Every other knob and slider i understand, but not being able to change banks, ridiculous???

jon.s

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             25-Sep-00  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

Please send your unit in for service. If you suspected there was a fault why did you not send it in earlier?

Certainly my unit here does not exhibit any of the problems you mention.

Cheers

Phill

Message 3/27             25-Sep-00  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

Please send your unit in for service. If you suspected there was a fault why did you not send it in earlier?

Certainly my unit here does not exhibit any of the problems you mention.

Cheers

Phill

Message 4/27             25-Sep-00  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

it's going back to the shop, phil.

i see other people here are having similar problems and until these arose it was difficult to understand if it was the snII or not.

some faults are temporamental and with a new synth (especially of this nature) you are not aware what does what or why.

and if they don't work as they should then you assume you are doing something wrong.

that is why phil!!!

Message 5/27             25-Sep-00  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

subzeroX

Link?:  Link

well i guess i know what im not gonna buy then

Message 6/27             25-Sep-00  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

subzeroX, i don't mean to be mean to phil, he is here by choice, however if this is a 'real' problem (it is for me) then i think manufacturers have to be held accountable.

i don't spend £1500.00 to be a beta tester and anything that will be rectified in a future os upgrade just should not happen. we're talking rectified here not extras.

digital village are taking the unit back tomorrow and i'll watch tv or something but please understand phil, this unit sends out so much data i can't come to the conclusion it's the unit at fault just by using it a few nights a week (all my time). it's totally alien to me and i'd have to pay postage and packing if i sent it back if I (yes the customer) got it wrong.

for anyone thinking about buying the SNII it is an ace bit of kit providing it functions as it should. i'm just severly disappointed because my time is precious enough as it is.

when i first had the unit the novation technical support for the SNII was not available (why?) hence i resorted to this forum. see my past ailing posts.

anyway, there doesn't seem to be enough SNIIkb owners for a proper analysis yet.

ps. the rack unit seems to operate absolutely fine. differences are alot of menus (banks, arpegiattor, etc) are hidden behind button presses as opposed to being mapped out on the kb.

pps. the rack does not have sliders for the envelopes. might be obvious to some but it's a valid difference don't you think?

Message 7/27             25-Sep-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

I understand your annoyance, I have an AIWA Dat machine that has problems and I have often thought of launching it out of the window to see how well it flies!!!

A friend of mine actually did this with an EMU drumulator (Back when they were the real bo**ocks)...when it would not verify the tape dump.

I have this really revolutionary idea, If yo have a problem why not send it back for service???????????????????????

Some things cannot be fixed with an email.

I would like to say again that I have not had any problems with my unit. (Apart from the known bug, the arp not TXing when local is off)

We will release an upgrade ASAP to fix any known problems and add a whole new set of features ASAP.

Message 8/27             25-Sep-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

I understand your annoyance, I have an AIWA Dat machine that has problems and I have often thought of launching it out of the window to see how well it flies!!!

A friend of mine actually did this with an EMU drumulator (Back when they were the real bo**ocks)...when it would not verify the tape dump.

I have this really revolutionary idea, If yo have a problem why not send it back for service???????????????????????

Some things cannot be fixed with an email.

I would like to say again that I have not had any problems with my unit. (Apart from the known bug, the arp not TXing when local is off)

We will release an upgrade ASAP to fix any known problems and add a whole new set of features ASAP.

Message 9/27             25-Sep-00  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Natually Ripped

lol, sure Phill's is working right, its a prototype, and yours is a "gett'm out the door quickly so we can make mo' money and build the sUPerNOVA 3eeeeeeeeee"

I'm laugh me arse off....great sounds, but shite planning.

----====C L A V I A F O R E V E R ====-----

Message 10/27             25-Sep-00  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Natually Ripped

btw, lol jon, "send your WHOLE unit in for servicing" :o - hmmm, same reply I got on me Nova....you mean....uh, actually go with out the unit for 6-8 weeks after just purchasing it, oOHhhhhh, I'll get right on that.

Message 11/27             25-Sep-00  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

GT

What kills me is that Novation could actually let Kilo and friends in the UK have a PROD' prototype (next to production) and let them have the board for 15 days or more to proof up the os (read: outsiders point of perspective) before the final order at the factory.

Then essentails infraction might be of a less minor nature.

GT

Message 12/27             25-Sep-00  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

subzeroX

well i guess the new novation products r good or nova wouldent have got the best gear award but i still think if somethings so good it shouldent have problems i mean hell even tho nova cant synch the arp to anything cause it dont have that function

Message 13/27             26-Sep-00  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Novation Beta Tester

Phill,

Glad to hear YOUR SNova2 is working properly, I'm sure YOU have the latest upgrade and all that, but what about US mannnn?!!!!
BTW, I must say you are one cocky SOB,with that comment about a revolutionary idea.
Heres a truly REVOLUTIONARY IDEA:
Upgrade the original S/Nova before doing what you said a few posts ago:
"We will release an upgrade ASAP to fix any known problems and add a whole new set of features ASAP"
Whole NEW SET of FEATURES ASAP? Wasn't that the line you used about a year ago on us original S/Nova owners?
Us, that helped you buy that fancy new convertible of yours?
Are you familiar with the term CUSTOMER SATISFACTION? How about WORD OF MOUTH?
Or PUBLIC PERCEPTION?
Does the phrase "It takes months to earn a customer, but just seconds to lose one." conjure up any images of missed car payments or repo?

And finally, contrary to popular opinion here, I am not impressed by a Novation employee being here to "help" us.
I'd much rather hear you're getting on the programmers to finish(or START) the new OS. Or at least respond to the numerous requests for an official date for the new OS. You're very selective of what you respond to.
Its all in your hands Phill.

Upgrades for S/Nova1: relative knob position, filter input MIDI trigger issue, and if you aren't too busy, Special button. Anything else is just icing on the cake!

Waiting for over a year and a half,
Nova1 beta tester #368120

Message 14/27             26-Sep-00  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

realtrance

oh c'mon, all. someone bought a newly-released unit and discovered some kinks (or perhaps issues that need further understanding) and didn't have the patience to wait for a fix, that's all.

personally I don't have the necessary patience to buy just-released equipment; nothing in my kit list was bought any sooner than about a year after release (and that was my most aggressive "gotta have it soon!" purchase). By that time, there have been revisions, there's good info on the internet about the mysteries, hardware problems if any have been discovered and resolved, etc. etc.

it's not like Novation is the first synth manufacturer on the planet to have a few kinks with a new release.

rt

Message 15/27             26-Sep-00  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

GT

True RT, but Novation need to speed up the process of correcting the "kinks".

GT

Message 16/27             26-Sep-00  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

my akai s1000 i had for years, totally bypassed the s3000 and when the s5000 came out i was ready to buy. first mistake.

the same with the novation. don't think this was an impulse buy. i've needed a good master keyboard for years and it my necessary requirement came at just before the SNIIkb was released. so i waited patiently and was ready to buy when it was released.

nothing wrong in that is there??

the thing that gets me now is that £1500.00 has been paid to the store and gone into novations pockets.

i have no keyboard and am accruing interest on my credit card(first batch due now). i don't know when i'll get it back and the past month has been nothing more than un-productive.

i lose all round. and who is to compensate - absolutely no-one.

you would be a fool to disregard newly released gear against other products that have been around for a year. you are spending £1500.00 and you want the best that your money can buy (eg. yamaha a3000 - creamed everyone with its features and reaped the benefits). you don't want to be caught short because you thought the os might be dodgy because this should NEVER be an issue. unfortunately as os upgrades are more easily available to implement manufacturers will continue to release their products without a thorough test.

it's not directly directed at novation but at the end of the day it's not a good situation.

maybe next time i'll have to evaluate my purchase by the manufacturers past success in customer service and reliability (guesswork) of the os.

Message 17/27             26-Sep-00  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

r-tek

I understand peoples annoyances, and I would be absolutely fucked off if I`d forked out 1500 sheet and faced such difficulties but are you really surprised? This happens with virtually all manufacturers - s`funny you`re looking at Waldorfs instead cos the Q *still* isn`t finished, they`ve only just managed to stop it from crashing 2-3 times every session. How long has the pulse been out now? Cos mine still gets more stuck notes than I`ve experienced on any other piece, the first one I got had mashup output jacks so bad that I could only get one cable inserted and its only a matter of time before the knobs give out. The MPC2 series will never be finished and the akai 5/6s new os that was supposed to sort out all the problems is supposed to crash like buggery, The vp9000 is virtually unusable by all accounts and the nord modulars still have bugs despite the new OS. Funny you mention the Yams too cos they never sorted the scsi issues out on it and those controllers are still sluggish to respond. Are we *really* that surprised? In these corporate times, all this shit goes with the territory when buying a new piece of gear, its sad, but expected. Look, you have my sympathies but I`m not exactly shocked by this.

Message 18/27             26-Sep-00  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Gee

My akai is working fine, better than before, with impressive screen redraw ability, maybe some not all the problems are more related to human error, I found that out by my own expierence, I was convinced that some gear was faulty, after a year I understood that my lack of comphrehensive midi knoldege was the cause.....My SN rack is a cool synth, although not trouble free, but great patches such as Fifth lead, Sqweege,echoed major third, MW B?F, techno crats ...had made it easier to forgive, not many synths that can reproduce a sound close to that....

Message 19/27             26-Sep-00  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

ryanmcwhorter

okay that beta tester post was just
fucking rude. maybe novation should
start charging for OS updates like
fucking microsoft. then we'd have real
reason to complain.

all in all, i am pretty happy with my
snv2 kb- there are some "problems" i'd
like to see fixed or added (all software
preferences), but i have had none of the
mechanical/general operation problems as
described.

here in the states, the main frustration
is that u.s. distributors just can't
keep european synths in stock (novation,
waldorf, access, clavia et al). or, to
keep their inventory low, they order or
replace as needed. so when shit happens
like with jon s, you get screwed waiting
on the replacement and you've already
paid for it...

The solution is either minimum order
requirements from the manufacturer- so a
replacement is readily available when
something is beaten up in shipping (but
this will never happen) or order from
the largest stockpiling distributor you
can find. But it just comes down to bad
luck and a system we have to live with.

as far as OS updates, installing 1.3 was
the easiest experience i could ever hope
for.

in the end, as much gear troubles i've
had, all manufacturers have poor or
imperfect bueracratic customer support.
i'm just glad the midi industry hasn't
picked up on requiring RMA#'s like some
pro audio- authorizations that expire
before the unit makes it back to the
plant... since there are a shortage of
authorized warranty repair facilities
here in the states for european gear,
i'm just glad we can

Message 20/27             26-Sep-00  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

it's midnight and i'm lonely.....i want my SNII back.

damn it, i've accepted there's a fault and i'm now in official mourning.

ryanmcwhorter, can you clarify any bugs (software preferences) you want fixing, we may as well air them now so novation can set to work on them.

i must add version2 for the akai s5k is absolutely great. it stinks though that they rip you off by making you buy a usb board to run ak.sys on your pc. it was meant to do this by scsi when the a5k was released.

i digress, i don't want any other keyboard (scuse the waldorf threat) but the SNII. i know it's the best on the market for my requirements and i hope novation come up with some nifty os upgrades in the future.

if not novation, then i'll eat it on live tv outside your offices. i know where they are!!

Message 21/27             27-Sep-00  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

Phill

Dear Mr Beta Tester...

Thank you for your comment and I will take your advice.

Message 22/27             27-Sep-00  @  09:25 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

ryanmcwhorter

jon s/etc.

snv2 software stuff:
its not really bugs but suggestions...
although i remember most of my ideas
from memory i want to be thorough so
i'll start a new thread in a couple of
days calles snv2kb suggestions...
I want to spend some more time with the
synth to make sure i'm not overlooking
anything.

Message 23/27             27-Sep-00  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

jon.s

i want mine back now!!!

Message 24/27             28-Sep-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

zilch

Actually I feel really sorry for you jon.s.
I can (no kidding) feel your pain.

Message 25/27             28-Sep-00  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

wayne

If we all wait for about a year before we buy the gear,wouldnt that mean that companies release new gear and it doesnt sell,and with no revenue coming they'd slowly/quickly close down.

by that time youd be able to pick up a second hand one a lot cheaper cos the person who originally bought it is so annoyed by the problems that theyll gladly get rid of it.

also,did roland ever release a ver1 of the 808 which didnt work,claps not working and bass drum cutting out for no reason...or did they get it right,then release it....and years later its become a classic...

ive just sold my supernova..  
i'm avoiding buying cubase5 till they fix it(its bound to be buggy,like the others were)
theres load of great free plugins out there...  

Message 26/27             28-Sep-00  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

p1easures

well , my heart goes out to jon . 1.5k
(plus interest) out of pocket , no toy
to take his mind off the debt , no compensation (at best a new keyboard(which he should have had in the first
place))

in terms of "sales/marketing" the best
prospects (new buyers) are referred by
other satisfied customers.

if this really is a rare occurance , then novation could afford some compensation to disapionted customers .
in terms of cost , may be more effective
than advertising . obviously if there are numerous disapionted customers this
would not work .

to be honest "business" in general is
all about having us (the buyer) over .
i guess thats the nature of ... gonna shut up (im off to prauge)

i would finish by saying i have a SNIIR
and am very impressed . the arp does
lock up (not sound) sometimes , but i
understand this is being worked on with
the promised new o/s.(which i dont think
is worthy of compensation (unlike jon.s))

wheres my passport !

Message 27/27             28-Sep-00  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: SNIIkb Owners - Fundamental Problems!!

k

jon.s - what is the sequencer....

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)