aaa Was 80's pop any good? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Was 80's pop any good?

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             23-Sep-00  @  07:21 PM   -   Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm not talking about Phuture and the like, and i know Haircut 100 used a 303 but did the TB ever penertrate the top 40 in the synth pop day's of the 80's?

Maybe A-Ha used one or god dam'it maybe even Jonny Hate's Jazz.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             24-Sep-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

I was watching this thing on Much Music one time...countdown of like best 80's videos, and in this one song (forget like which), the bassline was a TB-303...even was being tweaked like acid!

Get this....did you know that "A Guy Called Gerald" is somewhat responsible for spreading the word and popularity of the 303?

Message 3/28             25-Sep-00  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Lion Hair

Poor Silver Droid has been reading silly articles again. A Guy Called Gerald sucks.

Message 4/28             26-Sep-00  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

htek

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter used it alot, don't know if his music ever made the top 40 though. He's a bastard though!! The track you might be thinking of is probably Shannon's "Let the music Play". That had a 303 for the bass line.

Message 5/28             26-Sep-00  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

hahahahaha Uncle Jimmy @ Lion Hair

Ya, ya...I read it in Future Music issue 100, big whoop.....the same day I got a hold of a bunch of his music and wasn't too impressed...

Message 6/28             26-Sep-00  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

oldskool

A Guy Called Gerald actually was one of the first people in the UK (and probably the world) to use a 303 for acid music, in fact he was in 808 State from day one, and when he left they went crap. The first album they ever did was called "Newbuild" and features some really cool tracks using the 303, then he left to pursue a solo career and did the album "Hot Lemonade" and 808 State turned boring and only ever did 2 decent tracks (Pacific State, the original not one of the endless sellout remixes, and Cubik a killer noise techno track). Albums like "Newbuild" make me think people like Richie Hawtin are not at all original and certainly not a genius. Check it out.

After the first wave of acid (1989) had started to die out here in the UK, A Guy Called Gerald change his style to a more housey vibe then eventually drum and bass, I never really cared much for his later stuff but his early stuff was very good.

Message 7/28             26-Sep-00  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

Gonna have to cheak that Shannon tune out.

808 fuckin' State. Graham Massey was the brain behind the good old Manc techno gods. Here in Manchester they did their own radio show (sunset 102) and were one of the reasons i got in to acid techno in the first place. So 'gods' isn't to strong a word in my mind. Oh, and they ran the Eastern Bloc shop. And they once did the n.y.e Manchester megadog.

........In your face!

Message 8/28             26-Sep-00  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

ReZo 2k

Oh yes, "Let The Music Play". A very popular freestlye song from back in the day. I have this 12". While spending just under 5 years of my elementary years in Chicago, all I heard was freestlye. In fact I started off producing freestlye. I never really noticed that it was a 303 though. I'll have to dig into my crates.

Pete

Message 9/28             27-Sep-00  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Graham Massey? That rings a bell...I think he did a remix for The Future Sound of London....either was for "Papua New Guinea" or "We Have Explosive", can't remember...I gotta check my discography.

Message 10/28             27-Sep-00  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Local Boy

I met Massey once (and the other 3) at the London Music Forum, what a dickhead, he was a judge on a demo panel and he came across as a right dull, head up his arse wanker, some of the tunes he was reveiwing were really good and he was really slating them, none of the points he made were valid. The other 3 were cool though, offering useful advice and generally being more positive. Billie Currie from Ultravox was on the panel too, that was about 7 years ago. If I remeber correctly a couple of the demoists went on to get deals. True about E-bloc and sunset 102 though, I think they are more relevant for that and the music they introduced to the UK than any of their own tedious material, I would not even classify them as Techno, more like prog rock\techno crossover.

Message 11/28             28-Sep-00  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

A lot of artists are like that, arrogant mother fuckers, ie. Jeff Mills. That moulignane' prick-face was supposed to do a Canadian tour and he canceled because the organizers wouldn't give him twice what he was initially set to be paid for. He can also suck a dick because he was proud of his decision to sell his 303.

You want cool dudes? The members of Astral Projection. I was in front of them for 2.5 hours during their live performance here in Montreal and at one point I was like screaming out songs for them to play, and the main guy then clicked his mouse on the computer and got the next track ready...went to his mixing console, signaled the other member on the JD-800, and lo and behold, he played pointed right at me and "Mahdeveva" started to play.  

Message 12/28             30-Sep-00  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

komputerkontrolled

Poor Silver Droid.

Astral Projection???
"mouahhhahhaaaaaaa"
Whats up those stupid vocals???

Dude, read your own post silver droid.
You were in front of them for 2.5 hours and screaming and yelling??? Are you some groupie or what? I think they do that at Britney Spears concerts and The Back Street Boys...

Dude, your comparing some no name candy raver programmers to Jeff Mills?

I would rather listen to Yanni! pfffft.

Are you a dealer of crack or do you just enjoy smoking it, Pedicelli???

James  

Message 13/28             30-Sep-00  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

trev

Astral Projection used to be fucking amazing. But I think they went a tad shite since that 'Another World' album... their newer tracks just don't sound like, I dunno, they haven't worked on them hard enough, you know?
Anyone who knocks 'em should check out their album Dancing Galaxy. Oh and the original mix of Kalabalah (yes I know I've spelled it wrong)...

Message 14/28             30-Sep-00  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

Well if you what moodyness, go to the above mentioned E-Bloc record shop.

Saying that, it has improved since John Berry took over, who after all is a very pleasent bloke with none of that ego shit. And he's resident at the Orbit, so he could easily have his head up his arse.

Message 15/28             30-Sep-00  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

a person

there was a 303 burbling away on "the only way is up" by yazz and the plastic population (they`re called coldcut nowadays) which went to number 1 in the uk in like 87 or 88. Just thought I`d add that. I guess the US is just a bit backwards on such matters :0)

Message 16/28             30-Sep-00  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Slim

I've got a couple of acid/trance 12"s on a label called X Records. well, i've heard this labels actally owned by none other than FERGAL SHARKY. Beat that!

Message 17/28             30-Sep-00  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Woh, woh, woh. James, man...suck a dick! Astral Projection takes out that fucking moulignane anyday. They've become my favourite artist of alltime.

And they defintely did not go down the tube with Another World. A lot of their good tracks are off that album and they were able to progress with their sound.

Of course, they'll alltime bests are "Mahdeva", "People Can Fly", "Dancing Galaxy", "Ambient Galaxy", and a bunch others.

Message 18/28             30-Sep-00  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Woh, woh, woh. James, man...suck a dick! Astral Projection takes out that fucking moulignane anyday. They've become my favourite artist of alltime.

And they defintely did not go down the tube with Another World. A lot of their good tracks are off that album and they were able to progress with their sound.

Of course, they'll alltime bests are "Mahdeva", "People Can Fly", "Dancing Galaxy", "Ambient Galaxy", and a bunch others.

Message 19/28             30-Sep-00  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

trev

I first got into Astral Projection when a mate lent me a tape of their album which had 'People can fly' on it. The album that came out before Astral Files. What was it called? Is it still possible to get hold of it?

Message 20/28             02-Oct-00  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

I have all their material, I can hook you up if you want.

Message 21/28             02-Oct-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

cocomox

They've posted a whole heap of their stuff on www.mp3.com/astralprojection

Not my favorite, but pretty damn good...

-Nick

Message 22/28             03-Oct-00  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

komputerkontrolled

I listened to it and I puked a kidney, my liver and a lung. I hate it!

I'de rather eat glass, tacks and my grandmothers Depends, than listen to that crap again..

Ugghh.

Poor SilverDroid.

Message 23/28             03-Oct-00  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

James, man....suck an antilope penis. Astral Projection fucking kicks.

You're just not into Israeli psychedelic trance and goa music. It's just not your kinda techno, that's it. I hope you can at least appreciate of the sound programming and stuff...

Message 24/28             03-Oct-00  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

komputer

Silverachi,

man!? It sucks your moms left testicle.

I'd rather listen to Yanni. . . .

Message 25/28             03-Oct-00  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Maarten

Children, learn to respect other music, not liking it is ok and a whole different story...damn.

Message 26/28             03-Oct-00  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

Silver Droid

Nigerachi,

I'm gonna bust my right ovary in a sec, here! Don't make me come over there and kike you up!  

hehehehehehehee (me and James have female organs....)  

Message 27/28             04-Oct-00  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

komputer

Damn dude, I am cracking my ribs laughing at your very stupid post!

I am gonna ask you again, how much crack do you smoke? heh

Message 28/28             04-Oct-00  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: Was 80's pop any good?

H

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!An easy
answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)