aaa Latest FM - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Latest FM

Viewing all 29 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/29             22-Oct-00  @  03:49 PM   -   Latest FM

G

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was gonna buy a Virus but in the latest Future Music both Roland JP-8080, Novation Supernova and Korg MS2000 beats it.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/29             22-Oct-00  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Dude, don't even joke. Retarded. Nuff said.

Message 3/29             22-Oct-00  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

nothingnewhere

Link?: Link

the ms2k couldnt beat a virus a even, wtf.

Message 4/29             22-Oct-00  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

Rude Bwoy

It's another shite head-to-head review from Future Music. Looking at who wrote it, Maff Evans, he's known for marking stuff down he's too thick or lazy to use. I haven't heard anyone else complain that a Virus is tricky to use, so what's he doing reviewing these instruments professionally? Wanker.

Message 5/29             22-Oct-00  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

r-tek

I loved FMs gear of year for 98 when the akai s5000 came 3rd in the best sampler category even tho it wasn`t even released for another 5 months and the review models hadn`t even been sent out yet. Gawd bless FM and their intelligent readership.....anyone wanna swap their mc303 for a Sherman?

Message 6/29             23-Oct-00  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: Latest FM

jere doll

mc303 for a sherman!! Joke,right?

Message 7/29             23-Oct-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

boomer

Hey Hey FM is marketed towards super studio newbies and Djs. Of course, everything would be written to go along those lines. I think they are fair to rate Virus lower than say the JP-8000 from their view point. Their readers wouldn't be those who wanna dig in complicated programming or learn to use that many features in the Virus so why play that much? Buy a JP-8000 and there is no more to it than you see from the front panel. That's the idea.

Message 8/29             23-Oct-00  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

r-tek

joke?

Message 9/29             23-Oct-00  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

99devils

It had better be. Anyone who's played the four machines should know (although the Supernova's pretty cool). The JPs can't hold a candle to the Virus.

-Craig

Message 10/29             23-Oct-00  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

boomer

no it's not a joke. Just look at it with newbie eyes.

Message 11/29             23-Oct-00  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

G

No joke, I quote:

Although it has some powerful tools with stacks of waves and the dual filters actually getting the machine to do what you want is a daunting prospect.Often you find the results surprisingly wide of what you were after and the manual is frustatingly unhelpful.Sadly the interface and the corresponding literature need a rethink before the Virus b has any hope of outshining the others.

Rating:
Access 7/10
Korg 8/10
Roland 9/10
Novation 9/10

Message 12/29             23-Oct-00  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

scrotalsack

what a fucking looser... that guy is an absolute idiot... we can see who's paying him the big bucks (you notice he never does a really bad review of any korg or roland product???) i got a virus recently and it was the most unique and user friendly instrument i had used in a long time, and ive got a lot of equipment... the virus was the most fun Ive had in a while.

Message 13/29             23-Oct-00  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

jd

Maybe he didn't even test out the synths he just looked at the ads and who his magizine wants to have pay for advertising.I imigine that access does come on the bottom if you look at it that way.

Message 14/29             24-Oct-00  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Latest FM

scrotalsack

good point... waldorf didnt get reviewed in the article, and guess what? waldorf doesnt do any advertising whatsoever...

Message 15/29             24-Oct-00  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: Latest FM

Pongoid

NHNHNHYYAAANNNHHAANNAHHANAHGHGHGHFFPFPPPFPPFPPFPFFTTTHTHTHTFPHPHPH!!!!!!!!! (Soung of a developementally disabled individual vehemently grunting and pounding their chest)

Ape

Message 16/29             24-Oct-00  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

Jasper

But they did give the microwave2 the 3rd best synth in the gear awards for the 90's.

Message 17/29             24-Oct-00  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

99devils

Newbie or not, the interface of the virus is no more or less confusing than that of the others. In fact I find the Nova's interface to be more difficult to deal with. For basic sound creation, all you need to know about the virus is on the front panel.

I learned to program on a Virus. Start with the knobs and dive into the menus when you know what you're looking for It's a little more complex than a Nord, but much deeper too.

I suggest you head to your local mega-store and try some of them out. There's little difference in the interfaces, but a vast difference in sound between supernova & virus and the rest of those contenders.

-Craig

Message 18/29             24-Oct-00  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

r-tek

we should all yield to the mighty power of FM, sell our VAs and analogues and buy a "classic" mc303. You know you want to. Do it now. Don`t hesitate.

Message 19/29             24-Oct-00  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

jere doll

I have never even seen a ad for a groovebox.

Message 20/29             24-Oct-00  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

swanofnever

i really don't understand how those guys get jobs like that... i fucking still mess my pants every time i turn my virus on... DAMN! and i've only got an a.

my personal theory is simple rivalry: novation - English. Good. access - German. Bad.

Message 21/29             24-Oct-00  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

scrotalsack

never seen an ad for a groovebox? Are you blind?

Message 22/29             24-Oct-00  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

99devils

Then explain Korg, Roland, Yamaha = Japanese  

-Craig

Message 23/29             24-Oct-00  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

swanofnever

yeah, that's where my theory breaks down...

then again, the japanese weren't the ones rocketing the fuck out of london...

Message 24/29             25-Oct-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Latest FM

H

what the fuck do V1s and V2 rockets have to do w/ synthesizers?Maff Evans is a dumbass who couldn't do anything useful but start a magazine that as soon as it was cool A billon GROOVEbox ads showed up and that mag was toast but like 1-16 are pretty good.I think it went downhill w/ the 50 issue and I just don't care about it anymore.

venting at maff bastard

Message 25/29             25-Oct-00  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

Pongoid

FM=bogroll

Message 26/29             25-Oct-00  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

r-tek

nah, its too shiny to wipe yer arse on, it just spreads it about more. I should know  

Message 27/29             26-Oct-00  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

scrotalsack

aahh, but guitar center catalogs are excellent for that... exactly the right kind of paper... although the inks kinda make your ass itch...

Message 28/29             31-Oct-00  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: Latest FM

phunkytek

The ms-2000 is very easy to use, but it excels at analog bass . Don't under estimate the ms-2000 because of it's lack of poliphony, BT used it almost exclusively on the Movments in still life album. I met him, and he uses 3 of them, two linked together for eight voice poly. I love the virus, I love the Novation, and I love the Ms -2000. They all sound very diferant. But the Virus has the most poly, and parts, and it does more waveforms. If i only could have one it would be the virus, but I can afford all 3. I get my indigo soon!!!!!! yeah: and Jp-8000 is cool for atmospheres and gritty textures, but i feel it's range is very limited. It sounds cool and does a good jupiter impersonation, but is in no way better than a Virus. It just lacks the power, and those of us with talent need power, welcome power, and laugh at confused FM reviewers who spend a couple of days with a synth, or just read the manuals and write the article. The manual may be dificult,to follow if you don't know anything about synthesis. Read "Keyboard". At least the guys doing their reviews actualy address the synths they did'nt review, and admit if the time was limited. Go read the archive on the analog shoot out from last year. They looked at them all, but ms-2000 was not available to them yet although some crafty producers got their hands on them early.

Message 29/29             31-Oct-00  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: Latest FM

scrotalsack

ive thought that Sound on Sound has the best reviews of any of the synth magazines... and they also pay attention to the smaller manufacturers too.

Viewing all 29 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)