aaa ANOTHER virus question. sorry. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ANOTHER virus question. sorry.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             17-Oct-00  @  08:28 PM   -   ANOTHER virus question. sorry.

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hey,
the virus mailing list has yet to answer my dual0filter routing question... but in the mean time i've got another one:

i'm on fairly solid ground when it comes to being able to hit a sound i'm thinking of on my virus when it's one of your standard analog-ish types.

BUT

i'd really like to know a few things, like

-what sort of uses have you all found for the digital waves (i.e other than sine/tri, i've yet to really use the waves) -- are there any really cool/strange applications that they're well suited for?

-what can you do with sync other than the standard "sync" kind of sounds (i.e SatSync)? this is my first synth with osc sync and to be honest i haven't really found a wicked use for it, beyond the traditional sync sounds...

-FM/ringmod: again, everytime i get into FM it's either for those siren-y sweepy FM sounds (you know, the lame, dated ones) or i just set the amount to 64 or 127 (which, for some reason i've yet to grasp (other than it's like setting osc 2 to +(insert multiple of 12 here) when it's sync'd... no effect cause the wave doesn't get cut off) doesn't fuck up the pitch of osc 2, but just makes it gritty/organic-er. (?))
i'm still pretty clueless with ringmod...

basically, and i'm not trying to get you to baby-step me through or give me premade sounds (though if maybe someone could touch on FM theory... it's the only thing i know absolutely NOTHING about... though i understand the concept), i'd just like to know what my small little mind is missing out on due to its inability to "think outside the box"...

sorry if i'm just anoying you virii veterans... it's just that i'm SURE you've all got a few really cool individual insights as to strange applications... plus i'm really never has any ringmod/FM experiance prior to this, and though i've read all the internet stuff i could find... i still feel i'm not really 100% knowledgable.

thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             17-Oct-00  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: ANOTHER virus question. sorry.

99devils

I have found some uses for the waves... You can do some cool PPG-ish stuff by using an LFO to sweep through them... Try using the mod matrix to set velocity to wave...

As for FM, well, the FM implementations on my Nord Lead and Virus are very very different. I don't know anything about FM theory, really, but some practical things I've found:

Other than 64 and 127, there are several other settings which produce timbres of varying musicality... 32 and 76... multiples of 8 I think. As far as sync goes, on the Virus it changes the timbre, whereas on the NL sweeping FM amount when sync'd produces a change in pitch.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Nord Lead responds to sync and FM amount in the "classic" sense which you're thinking of, then the Virus' FM implementation is totally different.

As far as thinking outside the box goes, don't forget the mod matrix. You can assign LFOs to more destination than just the lights on the front panel, so play with that. Like I said above, sweep through the waves (works good on s&h sync'd to MIDI clock... Each note has a different timbre), don't foget you have two independent filters - play with the different routings, and assigning different modulation sources to each filter. Ringmod... Can't explain it technically, but don't foget to play with it   Makes the timbre more metallic.

-Craig

Message 3/3             17-Oct-00  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: ANOTHER virus question. sorry.

swanofnever

thanks... i've actually tried the s&h-> wave thing... also wrote a few mono lines where i'd leave the wave knob alone until there was a longish sustained note and then give it a twirl... sort of strange 303ish approach (substituting wave twirls for pitch slides to make monotonous riffs catchy) still don't know if it's too cheesy sounding (got a grin from me though)

yeah, the dual filters are REALLY cool. lots more learning needed there as well...

i actually understand what ringmod does technically (my zoom 1201 has ringmod...) but i'd never used it as a synthesis component... just ran vocs and stuff through it. so i'm having a hard time adding it to my mental palette...

my real problem with the waves is that i've got a printout of their shapes from somewhere on the web, but still don't have the skills down to see a waveshape and be able to say "oh, that'll sound like ____" beyond the ability to tell how soft or irritating (i.e lots of high harmonics) it'll be... i'm sure i just need to learn.

my main thing with sync is if you leave the osc2 interval static, it's not soooo interesting (still cool though), but basically everything i do w/ sync+moving osc2 pitch sounds "samey".

i'm really trying hard to get deep with this thing, as it's SO damn powerful i feel all i need is the know-how. like, to home up on the sync thing i tried to mimic that sync sound one of the run lola run tracks (the ruff-ish break with the agressive acidy bass) uses (the simple slide that's echoed (or just repeated at a lower volume i guess) 4 times) but despite fucking with every parameter i could think of i failed to nail it (maybe it's just cause they used a different synth... but i KNOW i should be able to get closer than i did)
i tried sweeping osc2 different amounts, different rates, etc. etc. but to no avail.

anyway, i'll stop my impatient whining. i know i just need time etc. i'm just also sure that people have found things i may never find myself (since we each have a different brain...) and figured it would be cool to file some of that away for future reference. thanks a lot though, and if anyone else has any cool insights, please feel free to share...

and sorry for the inarticulateness, very over-caffenated and under-slept...

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)