aaa Ring Mod question - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Ring Mod question

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             31-Aug-00  @  01:16 PM   -   Ring Mod question

Lightyear

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have had my Nova for about 2 months now and LOVE IT, but I wanted to take a little opinion poll.
Question: Does the Ring Modulator seem, well, a little weak to anyone?

I may be totally off here, because my only other experience is with a simulated ring mod effect, but there is a huge difference. The Novas ring mod barely effects the sound, where as the the effect destroys it.
What do you think?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             31-Aug-00  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Ring Mod question

CK

No it doesn't, but you do need to program it in such a way as to take advantage of its features. You can get some gut wrenching sounds out of it; Tubus in the presets on the SN is a good example (not sure if it's on the nova). Try sweeping the pitch of one of the oscillators with an envelope or LFO.

Because of the way ring modulators work sweeping the pitch of one of the oscillators produces the most dramatic effects. Detuning one of the oscillators by a number of semitones is also interesting... Ring modulators sound rather uninteresting if both oscillators are at the same and constant pitch.

Message 3/3             01-Sep-00  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: Ring Mod question

lightyear

Thats good news. I thought about that very reason last night. Well I'll be sure to mess around with the tuning then, thanks.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)