aaa New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  09:06 AM   -   New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

Phill

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

New versions of OS for SNVII KBD, Rack & NovaII KBD's is online in the Downloads section of the Novation site.

NOTE:

Be sure to download the correct version for the unit you have!!!
I.E. Do not expect the NovaII KBD version to work in the Supernova Rack!!!!

NOTE:

These are only for the models listed SNVII KBD, Rack & NovaII KBD's, they will not work in older units.

WHAT IT DOES:

Serious improvement to the Phaser effect.

Serious improvement to the Ensemble effect.

Serious improvement to the Rotary Speaker effect.

New sound set that makes use of the new features.

Sorry this upgrade does not fix the Local Off/Arp bug. we will post a fix for this soon.

For instructions on what to do look in the troubleshooting part of your Manual and follow the instructions in "Upgrading the OS"

Any problems with these files let me know

Cheers,

Phill Macdonald

Novation Product Marketing Manager

+44(0)1628828888
phillm@novationuk.com
http://www.novationuk.com

p.macdonald@btinternet.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~p.macdonald

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/31             07-Sep-00  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

spank-spank

They didn't keep doing OS updates on old synths because the market was much smaller and companies could not afford to release a product which was unfinished or had a buggy OS. If they did do it they normally folded up pretty soon after, maybe Novation should take note.
I think its pretty poor when companies can use customers as unpaid beta testers and bug finders, and its not just Novation either, look at Akai with the s6000, what a crock of shit! Or the numerous software companies who will "fix it in the next update" Fuck it man, if more people refused to put up with this shit then companies couldn't do it.
The Nova is not a bad synth, Novation is not a bad company, I am not a whingeing over-reacting cunt, but the fact remains that no other synth in my studio displays "Not Available" in the display when I press a button.
Seems that a lot of people are talking about Novation and most of them are unhappy, I wonder if the new products will be as successful.

Message 22/31             08-Sep-00  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

jon.s

i wonder if the same amount of people would have bought the nova had the "blank" button not been placed on it?

Message 23/31             08-Sep-00  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

jon.s

i wonder if the same amount of people would have bought the nova had the "blank" button not been placed on it?

Message 24/31             08-Sep-00  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

plasticandi

i am totally with k and phill;
it has been said a million times:
the nova is NOT an unfinished product, it is just kind of upgradeable.
do you people complain when a sampler has an almost empty rear pannel before expanding?
i´m really happy that phill is baqck to the forum.

Message 25/31             08-Sep-00  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

jon.s

i love my snII now and 4ever, even though she has fleas. need some flea killer then its true love. i've told her she doesn't need implants or surgery, i love her the way she is.

straaaangee.....

Message 26/31             08-Sep-00  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

intro5pect

I think that the SNV can pretty much produce just about any kind of analog waveform you would want from just its saw and square, However one thing that I have noticed is that the raw waves from different synthesizers have different timbres. For example, there is a juno 60 emulation in reaktor/generator that I think sounds just amazing, but I can't seem to get that sound on my SNV. I finally traced it back to the fact that the raw waves just didnt sound the same. So I think it would be cool If some of the special waves were variatons on the standard waves. Like maybe four different variations on the saw ranging from least "analog" (and most like a true saw) to most "analog" sounding (emulating an overabundance of capacitors, resistors, etc...) I would also like to see the feature that lets the oscillators "drift" a little (and act more like vco's) be ported to SNV1. Oh yeah and the ability to make the lfos track the keyboard (for playable FM stuff) would be very nice. Anyway just an idea.  

Message 27/31             09-Sep-00  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

roller8

Let me just say that i still think the Nova/Supernova synths are great units very capable of making some slamming stuff. Tonight. So I agree that some of you really do need to start writing tracks. Start making your module earn it's keep. It's great f*cking kit! Although I really would enjoy audio inputs that don't require a note trigger to operate, but nevertheless this synth kicks ass as is...

Message 28/31             09-Sep-00  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

k

i think it's just about attitude... like why are people doing it?, why did they buy the gear etc?... as for an actual error in the os, nova and most other companies are pretty quick to respond, but when spanky comes in with that stuff, it just mis represents it i think cos he still is suggesting that the Un-used slots/buttons on the nova panel means it is unfinished

it's been pointed out already, Novation could have just added extra functions by adding any extra menu items inside the lcd sceen lists assigned already to a button - They added a few extra buttons just in case if they decided to upgrade, and then they COULD allocate the new function INSTEAD to it's own dedicated button, RATHER than adding it to any current menu - that is all the buttons are about... see spanky, perhaps you are expecting something from the supernova that you cant verbalise or really imagine but just you think perhaps with the special function button mebbe allowing a bunch of new wave shapes?.. but if you know wave shapes and own synths WITH thousands of wave shapes, then you know really it isnt suddenly going to get you a massive completely different type of sounds when you have already a pallette PLUS all the various wave mangling capabilities (we are talking about a synth that will do both old analog impressions AND perfect harmonics-filled lush electric piano type & FM style sounds) ... perhaps you CAN define what you want to hear, and thought when buying nova that in the future it would 'expand' to become like other types of synths?... i'm not sure, but mebbe what you really need is other items that do other things to get balance in your system -

the nova's (original series) were and are just what they were supposed to be (remember what the commonly available poly count was when they first came out on analog modelling synths, Nord_4, prophecy_1 etc etc !!!) - they are modelling synths that allow you to copy and reproduce pretty much any type of old style analog sound plus more, with the same ease and ability to edit as a real analog, but with FULL midi control, BIG poly , and fx on each multipart - it was a MASSIVE breakthrough, and still is... so that is what the Nova's ARE... and in every way they fullfil that except in that like all the modellers, they dont 100% sound like a real analog, although they are very close on some types of sounds... So they are never going to sounds 100% EXACTLY like old synth/s, cos also amongst themselves, old synths each have their own sound ... BUT it'll get you the full pallette - if you added more filter shapes say and a few more waves, it still wouldnt change the sounds you could get that much, 'Nova series' does what it says on the tin, and it does it fine for anyone who bought it cos they wanted multi-channel polyphonic quality analog modelling with full midi control

if you had those actual old synths, then they are each limited too, they pretty much have their 'thing' they do, and that is it

as for older synths selling less, i dunno about that -

Message 29/31             09-Sep-00  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

spank-spank

Kilo, valid points man, I don't expect the Nova to be an all singing all dancing box, but can you really tell me that having the button on the front panel was "just in case" I mean all I would expect extra by way of the filter special button is say a notch filter, and allowing the filter to be used without having to trigger a note (as has been requested inumerable times).To be fair to Novation the Osc section filter button is operational but it would be nice to have say a shephard generator or something a bit out of the ordinary.

As I have said b4, when I got the Nova (which I do like by the way) I expected it to be able to to much more than my MKS70 which really it can't. I know its meant to be an analog emulation synth but with all the dsp technology I thought it would be like a modern spin on analog rather than just a facsimilie.

Message 30/31             11-Sep-00  @  04:46 AM   -   RE: New OS for Supernova II & Nova II Series

Phill

I think the SNV can certainly do JUNO type sounds...A021 (U-no Polysynth) is a direct copy of a sound in my JUNO 106 and I think it is very very close...

Yeah there is a slight difference in waves though between differing types of analogue synths...

I think the filter plays a large roll as well though.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)