aaa Please help with controllers - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Please help with controllers

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             21-Sep-00  @  07:44 AM   -   Please help with controllers

jonsheppard

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can any experienced nova users please help me. I am using my nova with Cubase and am having trouble recording and editing controllers. For instance, I have a long part in a drum and bass track which I want to have the Comb Boost and frequency rising throughout, and as I havn't got the hang of using cubase to send these messages I decided to set up my midi leads so I could just record the knob changes directly into cubase. It worked but I encouintered 2 problems - firstly the nova crackled when doing this. Secondly I want to edit the knob changes using the crosshairs/pencil tool as I didn't do it smoothly enough manually, so how do I bring up the graph on the key edit page of cubase? I already tried going to `unknown controller', typed in 98 for `NRPN LSB' and then 96 as the `data increase' second part, but this just showed a blank space. Is there a way to bring it up in the key edit screen or do I have to use the list edit screen?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am just starting to get to grips with the machine, but being hindered by petit things. If it isn't possible, could someong please explain how to send controller messages from Cubase to the nova for front panel knob changes or button presses (I know little about hexadecimals and mixermaps, so a guided plan would be invaluable!!)

Thanks again, Tom

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             21-Sep-00  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: Please help with controllers

Gee

Well, if u are using v.4 cubase, then there is a controller page which is exclusive to controller data, if u have NRPN active in the midi prefrences switched to on then all knob data will be recorded. u have to use a high resolution controller with quantize set a least to 64 if u want a accurate representation of your physical knob tweakings. The best is to draw it out in the controller page. U can do it int the list but it is more tedious. Nova crackles could be a few things, but when controller info is sent out of cubase when u hit play the crackles noramally dissappear....u must hook your system up to a multiport midi interface ex. opcode studio 3, 4,64 x,128x for maximum convienence, u must look deeper into cubase not your synth in order to get right, take the time to study cubase and get the maximium out of it...good luck.

Message 3/4             24-Sep-00  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: Please help with controllers

Tom

Thanks Gee, but 2 things - firstly I'm not using V4.0 but V3.6 so the standard key edit page is all I get. Secondly, the knob data is getting recorded `cos when I play it back I can visually see the changes on the Nova. The problem was though that the changes are not smooth enough so I want to see the line in the controller window at the bottom of the key edit page so I can manually edit it into a smooth slope using the crosshairs tool. However I can't get to see the line, even using a 64 snap/quantise setting - is it not possible with it not being a main controller or am I typing the wrong info into the unknown controller boxes for it to be displayed?

Thanks again, Tom

Message 4/4             24-Sep-00  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Please help with controllers

Gee

U could try a higher resolution,(128)however I don`t that will change much, as the sequencer control data has to be edited to gurantee smooth controller data, u should record your data, go into the list, use the filter to hide everyhting except controller info, see what number controller was used to record your physical know tweakings, then go to the key edit page, double click the controller menu at the bottom left corner, click on the respective number of the controller used in the list menu, and viola u should see a visual graph which u can edit, smooth out with the cross or pencil. U should be careful recording with high quantize as this could cause an overflow of midi data resulting in a freeze, always use reduce controller data command after recording........hope it works

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)