aaa What next... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What next...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  06:41 PM   -   What next...?

trev

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Now that I've got a decent goddamn job I'm thinking of buying some new gear. At the moment all I have is a mixer, PC with AWE32 (oh, shite), novation bassStation, TB303, Zoom rfx2000, two homebodged 303 clones and other stuff not worth mentioning. Anyone got any suggestions for what to get next?

I really want something to use for percussion and stuff, and maybe a better sampler... I'm considering getting a second hand Yamaha A3000 and using this for drum samples. Apparently it has fx as standard? Is this machine any good?

What about the Electribes for a cheap drum machine? Or are these machines crap?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/54             30-Oct-00  @  08:27 AM   -   RE: What next...

909 Inc.

He! He!
Try layering a pro-1, mg-1, dss-1 and
a juno 106 for pads and stacks!

Fuk! do I really want a JP6? I'm not
too much into that analog hype, but I
know for sure, that a jp-6 will be
worth a lot more vs. a jp-8000 in 5
years, even I though I would love both
of them, but you know... usually you
can't have it all...

909 Inc.

Message 32/54             31-Oct-00  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: What next...

oldskool

Trev, I'm selling my Nova because I have grown tired of the sounds it makes, all these VA's are getting so samey, so boring, so predictable. The technology is the same in all of them. I sold a Prophecy, a Virus, and a JP8000 for all the same reasons. The only VA I will never sell is my Nord Micro Modular, well actually I would but only if I got a Nord Modular Rack\Keyboard.

My advice? Don't get a VA, get something like an MKS70, JP6 or even better a real voltage controlled modular, I have been using all different types of synths in studios all over the place and trust me - ANALOG RULES. But then you didn't really need me to tell you that, did you?

Message 33/54             31-Oct-00  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: What next...

909 Inc.

well,

it's coming down to the 11th hour, I
will know if I'm the new owner of a
JP6 witin 24 hours!

Whoo hoo!

Message 34/54             01-Nov-00  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: What next...

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

I said I would never get rid of my JP-8000, but I had to trade it for the Z1. Now I want the JP-8000 back like there's no tomorrow. I can't live without it's lush pads!

And believe it or not, the MS2000 sounds hella like the JP-8000. Might just get that to start off with.

Message 35/54             01-Nov-00  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: What next...

Local Boy

Thats cos they use the same dsp.

Message 36/54             01-Nov-00  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: What next...

Silver Droid

The analogue modeling engines on the JP-8000 and MS2000 are completely different...

The JP-8000 is based on the latest Roland engine while the MS2000 is based on a refined version of MOSS.

Message 37/54             01-Nov-00  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: What next...

d.s.PROCESSOR

the quake and doom engines are different... don't they both run on my Pentium _PROCESSOR_?!

though i'm not sure that the same dsp chip = same sound... wouldn't come down to the algorithms?

Message 38/54             02-Nov-00  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: What next...

H

Get the JUPITER screw the Virtual use somethin REAL.

-;) Worth more in the future?Uhh It isn't worth shit to me unless it makes great sounds and helps my expression.

I'm tellin ya momentary LFO will MELT the brainz of the headz if used correctly.Good luck on the trade.

Message 39/54             02-Nov-00  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: What next...

Silver Droid

The analogue modeling engines on the JP-8000 and MS2000 are completely different...

The JP-8000 is based on the latest Roland engine while the MS2000 is based on a refined version of MOSS.

Message 40/54             02-Nov-00  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: What next...

Local Boy

True the modelling techniques used are different but the characteristics of the dsp will be exactly the same in regards to s\n ratio, bandwidth, thd, etc. For example say Korg engineers optimized the code to get the best possible filter response over the audio range, if Roland engineers did the same but using totally different techniques the end result would be exactly the same as the Korg algorithms. The only real differences are the features that each manufacturer chooses to implement and the way in which they interact with eachother. I think one VA is plenty in any setup and then add some real analog and perhaps some FM or Additive synthesis for a richer sonic pallette.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 54 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)