aaa The Worlds Best Synth - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Worlds Best Synth

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 20-Apr-99  @  10:04 PM   -   The Worlds Best Synth

Mo7

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Let me just say that it doesn't exist. Sorry but it doesn't.
This is just my way of letting people know that most synths have there place in your studio you just have to find the right place for it. In some caese its the garbage but not always. I've gone through many synths in the 2 years live been trying to make it as they say. some are crap and others I can't beleave I sold. We have to go through the "I don't know what to buy so I'll get what the other guys buy" phase. At first I bought a master keyboard and tons of modules but that is definetly not the way to go. Your better off with the keyboards. The more hands on the better.

One thing that really bugs me as that when I read a review it's always comparing the synth to a 303. get the fuck over it if you want a 303 get the fucking 303 and shut the hell up. Why would you buy a synth to sound like another synth. the rave-o-lution doesn't sound like a 303 so don't get it. give me a fuckin break.

All synths have a little something to contribute to your sound.
I'll give you a little run down of the synths I regularly use and what i use them for .
-Korg Prophecy- The pads are incredible. 13 osilators help to sculpt the sound. Can you say FAT. Its also a great controller with the dials and aftertouch.
-Roland String Ensemble- Great sampled strings. makes it on all tracks.
-Roland MC-303-Big peice of crap what the hell was I thinking. I do however use a few drum sounds.
-Roland Sound Canvas- GM for internet music. I've been know to use a patch or two on a track.
-Novation Bass Station- Bubbly acid and super mono bass lines
-Korg ER-1- Awesome drums
-Korg EA-1- Great synths. Analog heaven and easy to use.
-EMU ESI 32 sampler- collects all the dust.
-CS2X- Great controller and really nice arpegiator. Sounds are decent to.

None of these could work alone but togheter its a powerful package to be feared.

I got to get back to work bye.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/71             26-Sep-99  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Still, seems like it depends on the situation, but a behemoth made up of various bit s and pieces is the way to go. Some modular, some with ext ins, there's all kinds of ways to do it. Some of the craziest shit I've evr heard came out of a moddoed jd990 going through a modded wavestation A/D. Not analog, but extremely bad ass for what it is.

Ape

Message 32/71             29-Sep-99  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

phaust

Link?: Link

I'm running a pc based setup right now doing industrial/dance/metal type music. My pc is an AMD 350 with about 160M ram and I'm using an old awe 64 value ...s/w include rebirth,fruityloops, fruity tracks, and acid music. I am incorprating my zoom rt123 drum/bass synth (awesome bass) and a good ole esp ltd electric guitar into the mix...I'm looking into getting a phat low end (sounding) synth (true analog) and an 808 or 909 to go with my rig does anyone have any sugjestions...btw if you could not tell I'm on a tight budget...also does anyone have some insight on the futuretro 777 synth thanx.

Message 33/71             05-Oct-99  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

rt

I think one point that's clear in this thread is that it's not so much what any particular synth can "do," so much as, ultimately, how it sounds. Some people here are preferring particular classic analogues because for them those units have a particular sound. Others like the Nord Modular or TB-303 for the same reason.

The more expensive stuff can do a greater variety of things, but ultimately, it sounds like it's the sound that counts.

At the end of the day, no amount of featureitis is going to compensate for lack of appealing sound. And, if it's a cheezy cheapo box with a sound you love, who cares if it's 30 quid instead of 3000.

rt

Message 34/71             22-Dec-99  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

poor

I have played with many synths, but all i have in my setup is Fruity loops, some samples, and my computer, oh and my girlfriend to encourage me by saying sweet things like "your such a loser" "get a job you frickin idiot, who cares if your a midget" oh and "your music sucks , id rather hear my grandma blowin hot mexican food out of her ass" But yet i still press on, someday i will get signed and tour with my hero Barry Minilow.

Message 35/71             22-Dec-99  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Wow! Now that's makings for some inspiration. So how did someone end up hearing their Grandmother n that situation? Wait, maybe I don't want to know.

Ape

Message 36/71             29-Dec-99  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

F

The quality of the synth is not so much in the box but in who is using the box. All synths have the potential to be the best synth in the world. You could spend all day fucking with a Virus but without an ear it will always sound like shit just like you can get the fattest sounds out of an EA1 if YOU can do it.

Message 37/71             03-Jan-00  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

AietaD

Moog. Nothing like the sound of a deep throated mini in a mix or a screaming memory

Message 38/71             03-Jan-00  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

R-Tek

Casiotone VL-1 - awesome, the only synth you`ll ever need.

Message 39/71             03-Jan-00  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

SNEAKY SKILLZ

I'd rather hear someone that has no musical talent bangin lines out of good gear than shitty gear. This crap about all synths sounding good if the user is talented is kinda a wad of crap. All synths are not good. Plenty suck my ass, and yeah I can play them all just dandy and probably pull good sounds out of anything if you fuck around with it long enough. But that doesn't make me want to buy it or put it up on the list of best synths.
For newer gear I'll take my Virus and 777 and put them on the top of the list.
But as for the vintage, there is the obvious favorites that we all love so there should be a "Best 30 Synths of All Time (in no specific order)" posting. No reason to even discuss whether a Moog or ARP or vintage Roland is better than one another. I'd like a room with all of them in it.

Peace

Message 40/71             08-Jan-00  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

knobtweaker

Have used a lot of analogue gear over the past 10 years from moog modulars to monophonics like the 101. Id say the best analogue synth is probably the one that you use the most ;). But, in terms of flexibility and sound i'd like to choose the a modular or one of high end poly synths like the Korg PS3300 which I admit is modular as well. Other nice ones are the VCS3 Synthi AKS and stuff.
The Oberheim 8 voice is nice  

Just my 10p's worth.

AmmonitE

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)