aaa Time Traveller needs help with upgrades - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             18-Oct-00  @  03:45 AM   -   Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

GaryPeaslee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I haven't worked with electronic music equipment since the days of the Mini-Moog, ARP Odyssey, ARP 2600 and the VCO-3. I'm a proud owner of the Novation Nova II keyboard, and I am totally knocked out with the technology improvements in the last 25 light years.

I do not own a computer. Do I need a separate sequencer to download the upgrade from the Novation website? I currently have version 1.0.(and access to PC with internet connection).

Sorry, but as a newbie to the digital technology, I was confused by the manual's instructions on how to upgrade.(no offense, Phill).

The manual reads, "Connect the MIDI out of 'the sequencer' to the MIDI in of the Nova II keyboard."

For those of you fortunate enough to have grown up with this technology to the point where you take it for granted, consider yourself a lucky man.

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.

P.S. What does "OS" stand for? Outboard sequencer?

Thanks and cheers!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             18-Oct-00  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

Stefan

Link?: Link

OS is an abbreviation for "operating system".
Though the operating systems of novation contain a few bugs they are more reliable than those by Microsoft.

Therefore i assume that Phill will soon be richer than Bill Gates ;-)

Message 3/5             18-Oct-00  @  11:21 AM   -   RE: Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

dB

You have to download the OS file onto a computer, save it on a floppy (it's a MIDI file). Then borrow an hardware sequencer capable of reading that, make the connection you've read of, and then simply play the MIDI file as it was a song from the sequencer. This will upgrade your OS on the Nova I guess

Message 4/5             18-Oct-00  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

GaryPeaslee

Thanks, Stefan and DB.

I am now much more clear on what I need
to do in order to upgrade my operating
system for the Nova II. By the way, regarding the "hardware sequencer" capable of reading MIDI files, in your opinion, would either the Yamaha RM1X,
QY70 or QY700 do the job, and which would you recommend?

Message 5/5             20-Oct-00  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: Time Traveller needs help with upgrades

JeremyBellbottoms

Gary, I know how you feel, mate. I, also, used the "vintage synthesizers" of yesteryear and find the new technology somewhat bewildering. Hang in there, mate. The Yamaha RM1X sequencer that you mentioned is a great choice. Also, if you haven't seen it already, check out the magazine, "Future Music". You can probably find it in any of the larger book shops.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)