aaa Newbie programmer please help - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Newbie programmer please help

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             16-Sep-00  @  06:23 AM   -   Newbie programmer please help

Darren

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi im new at programming and i have a nova and its good but its just not good for programming i dont find it fun yet i love the preset"novebella" n i was wondering if anyone could inform me what its settings r so i can replicate them on another synth
thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             16-Sep-00  @  08:40 AM   -   RE: Newbie programmer please help

k

Link?:  No link

c'mon mate - thats like a begginer asking if there is an easier car to drive cos driving is hard. trust me, if you cant programme on a nova series, give up, cos it is the most easiest straightforward interface you could wish for on a synth, none of the others will be any easier, and most of 'em will be harder.

Message 3/5             16-Sep-00  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: Newbie programmer please help

bmarshalsea

Link?: Link

I disagree with this. The Nord Modular is much easier to get to grips with (If you've got a PC that is as it allows you to build the sound logically!)...

Personally getting into Analogue Synthesis through the Supernova is an absolute nightmare... The sheer amount of buttons, knobs etc is bewildering!! I recommend getting a good Analogue Synthesis book to begin with so you understand the order in which things move on the Supernova - it's not logically across the face of it. It might even be worth checking some software synths out as well, so you can build the sounds up from bit to another, but at the end of the day these aren't going to match what you can achieve with the Supernova.

I've been using mine for over a year, and I still consider myself fairly novice at achieving 'good' sounds!

Getting the most out of the Supernova is a rewarding, yet time consuming occupation, but keep at it!

Message 4/5             16-Sep-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Newbie programmer please help

Stefan

Link?: Link

I am lucky that i got into Analogue Synthesis with the Supernova. I still have more difficulties with the Virus and if I had started with my MW 2 as first synth I would have given up making music.
But I agree that the Nord Mod must be very easy for a beginner. He won't at least be confused by cryptical knob labels like attack, decay, sustain etc ... ;-)

Message 5/5             16-Sep-00  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Newbie programmer please help

sitar

Link?:  Link

One place to start: First, turn a knob, any knob. By turning the knob you will have changed the value of that function. Next, press the "Compare" button. The screen will tell you what Novabella's value for that function is. This will work for every knob, button, and submenu.

Then understand that many of the functions are being controlled by other functions. This is called maodulation and is what makes a synthesizer very versatile and interesting. There are 2 modulation sections. By pressing each button, one at a time, on the right side (for the Supernova) of those sections, and then pressing the buttons to the left in the same section, you can see if an lfo or envelope or wheel is modulating a filter, or pitch etc. You will most likely see several modulators with 00 settings which means they are not modulating that function. But then you'll see a + or - number and you'll know that that modulator is effecting that function by that number.

It takes time, but it is worth it with the Nova/Supernovas. And once the logic of it clicks, these things are easy to go nuts with. I learned about synthesis on my Supernova. There's just a moment when the layout "clicks" and it's like a spectacular dawn when it happens.

Yes and get a book on analogue synthesis. Wizoo's "Analogue Synthesis for Newbies" is pretty good.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)