aaa Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             04-Sep-00  @  04:53 PM   -   Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

foomanporkchop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey all,

Hoping for input from owners of either of these two machines to help me come to a decision.

Went into the city twice to demo these boards and really liked what i heard from both, but i'm still a novice and cannot really manipulate these syths very well yet which makes it hard for me to decide as to which one, for a grand +, is the right one for me.

Looking for sounds like the recent release on Tresor by Stryke/ Christian smith + Stryke on Platform, Advent 2bl on Conform past forward/ Ben long audio/ Joel Mull's 2bl imagination on Inside rec.'s/ Number + Measure Chris McCormack Ground

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             04-Sep-00  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're still green, get a Waldorf Pulse first and get a good grasp of synthesis before you go blowin a bunch of cash on either one of these tools. They are both very powerful and flexible tools, but it's a real pet peave of mine to see all of these New Jacks and beginners buying up these extremely nice synthesizers, and not having a clue about how to really use them. It's kind of like giving a nuclear weapon to a chimp. Please don't take that personally. What it really comes down to is spending some time learning your shit and when you are ready, and have it together, you'll know what to get. If you have to ask whether to get it or not, you're probably better off without it for the moment.

Ape

Message 3/5             05-Sep-00  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

Chop!

None taken, well stated. I will look into it.

Any opinions on Richard Wentks Articles on Synth Programming in Future Music?

Message 4/5             05-Sep-00  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

99devils

Ape's got a good idea, and not just the Pulse can fill that role. SCI ProOne, Juno 106, BassStation, any of the TB clones like the FreeBass, a lot of these can be had cheaply and will teach you tons about subtractive synth programming.

In a lot of cases, even if you do eventually move up to a Q or Virus, you won't regret having a Pulse or a ProOne beside your new VA.

-Craig

Message 5/5             05-Sep-00  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Deciding which to buy, Q or Virus

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Didn't read the article, but usually folks in those mags have some decent tips and tricks. The reality of the matter, though, is that you have to spend quite a while with synthesizers just turning knobs and pushing buttons, and just listening to every little thing that those tweeks affect. I could tell you "...and sync osc 1 and 2, and set fil env to modulate osc pitch by 22 steps,...and then set the fil to lo-pass and env amt to 15, with res to 80,..." but if you don't know how those settings effect a tone, it just sounds like some technical instructions, with little meaning attached to them, other than somebody trying to sound sophisticated. However, when you know those sounds, you'll know whether that sounds like an appropriate patch for you to set up for a particular tune you're making. Another thing that you'll like about the Pulse is that it easily generates random patches, so if you're stuck creatively, just generate a random patch, and tweek it to taste. Good luck.

Ape

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)